Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Oct 9, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #211 of 632
Well Stealing is a crime punishable by law. If it's a felony or misdemeanor depends on the value of the stolen "goods"

We surely all agree that going into a store to audition and then ordering online does not classify as breaking the law.

I'm not saying that it's fine behaviour, however that it's not stealing is more of a fact than an opinion.
Yeah, but the issue is stores can't stay open just to be there to audition. I don't know which country started the audio crazy seems we Americans believe everything here in the US began and in a way it did. The big development after WW2 with all this military tech now got transferred to the public sector. If this is the case the kids from that time period grew up going to the stores and now that custom has almost but disappeared. In 90's and early 2000 there was still a huge car audio scene and now it's nothing a pretty dead market. I don't see those stores anymore in my region of the US. When I was a mobile tech at Best Buy the kids coming in wasting my time just so they could go to eBay and buy it basically ran that part of Best Buy, Circuit City and other chains into closure or not even bothering with that part of the business. These big stores gave the mom and pop shops the choice for customers to get a product installed by myself or go to fancy car audio shop where it was more prestigious and custom fiberglass could be done. Every electronic business effects the others. We created the internet monster and now very few stores. I bet Upscale Audio moved to online to keep from falling to the wolves. For Jeff to keep making product and selling he has to pay each person who works for him the guys who engineered the stuff don't do it out of the kindness of their heart or they would be out on the street. So no more auditioning products for me just buy online and take a chance.

Car audio was 100% mark up not sure what home audio was back in the day. I bought $1000 Zapco amps for $499 and I was happy as a pig in crap. You guys think I have a lot now man you would think I owned a business. I was a custom installer at a audio shop that was cell phone primary and the car audio side was a hobby for the owner but was I rewarded with dealer price. What does this have to do well I was killing the industry by not paying the overhead of the other business.

The Cable Company is all online so I can't have the enjoyment of going there to audition gear. I don't want to get charged because I broke something at least at the store I am exempt from just things. Also I'm forced to buy from them which makes sense as they keep 5%, so $4000 is $200 which stays in my The Cable Company bank till I buy something which is a good plan hey jeff maybe do the same thing you just need a insurance policy and keep a fair percentage of the money for testing out gear. Have like 2 of everything and keep those as test items you might get more business.

Anyways not having these stores is like one day Disney World closed and the US would crazy like it's Covid of the worlds most famous amusement parks. The general everyday stores in bum **** USA town, people will feel a bit depressed for the older generation but the youngsters won't give two poops or may but will be of that suck, oh well. The gen sucks balls in every category and it's funny I became an older person saying the same things the generations before me said to me.

I think I made a point I have to go test my Fostex TH900 I just modded into Lawton and hear the difference between the Woo WA5 and the Wells Audio Dragon level 2. After that I have to go climb some utility poles and get paid big bucks so I can upgrade my Dragon.

One last thing, I can say with the level 2 to the is level 3 sounds more airy and with more treble sparkle. The 2 is more smoothed out and I don't know if that's the lack of break in. The bass impact sounds the same and just as loud so if that's your thing like my thing get the 2 then save up for the level 3.

Another last thing. If you feel having one amp is not enough get the Dragon and a full tube amp that is 300B power driven with 6SN7 drivers as those are the most available tubes in new and NOS market, I have like a bizzillion tubes for my WA5 LE and it's giving me the options to stay happy with the Dragon as more of a solid state partner, but it is very holographic.

Peace out!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #212 of 632
The Dragon is so quite I can hear the very quite fan running on my laptop which I never heard before while using the Woo amps and the headphone is a closed back so go figure that one.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #214 of 632
Oct 11, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #215 of 632
The level 2 Dragon is so powerful with the TAD tubes that I turned the volume very little to about 8 on the dial with the Meze Elite on 0db gain. The 1266 needs 12 o'clock on 3rd gain setting. My Woo WA5 LE with the Elite 10 o'clock on high gain. There is more power on the level 3 Dragon. Bass is ideal on the lvl 2 for EDM on both headphones the 3 takes it further with more control and even more. The 3 being more powerful is smoothed out with all the better components giving you better volume control takes more turns to reach the same volume.

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #217 of 632
Curious about getting a nice desktop tube setup that can scale my IEMs and allow me to dabble with HPs (likely the LCD5/Susvara down the line). I see that the Dragon has several gain options and might be looking to implement a 4.4mm option. Has anyone tried IEMs with these AMPs and noticed a high noise floor, or should it be fine with IEMs like EVO/Traillii? I saw one post about some noise with the Lolas.

Sorry for the noob question, and thanks in advance :beerchug:

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #218 of 632
Curious about getting a nice desktop tube setup that can scale my IEMs and allow me to dabble with HPs (likely the LCD5/Susvara down the line). I see that the Dragon has several gain options and might be looking to implement a 4.4mm option. Has anyone tried IEMs with these AMPs and noticed a high noise floor, or should it be fine with IEMs like EVO/Traillii? I saw one post about some noise with the Lolas.

Sorry for the noob question, and thanks in advance :beerchug:
That's good question. How much power can an IEM handle before to much heat melts the coils. The 1 amp of current most translate to wattage. The dude who created the PIE would say so. I'm guessing the voltage from the gain multiples with the current to give power or wattage so you might put firecracks in your eardrums.

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #220 of 632
After having the Headtrip 2 Level 2 for about a year, I recently sent it back to Jeff for some updates. I got the new Goldpoint attenuator - now silent when changing the volume unlike the Khozmo that preceded it. Also, the outboard power supply has made it so that even my ultra efficient and low impedance LCDX have a dead silent background. Very pleased!

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #221 of 632
After having the Headtrip 2 Level 2 for about a year, I recently sent it back to Jeff for some updates. I got the new Goldpoint attenuator - now silent when changing the volume unlike the Khozmo that preceded it. Also, the outboard power supply has made it so that even my ultra efficient and low impedance LCDX have a dead silent background. Very pleased!
Great to hear. I have been loving mine for several months now and it has finally broken in.

Oct 31, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #222 of 632
Hi everyone,

Dropping into this thread for the first time as I’m looking at the Dragon and value any advice.

Doesn’t anyone have thoughts or experience with how is compare to the Pathos Inpol Ear (Dragon level iii would be similarly priced)?

Also specs on the Dragon are sparse. What’s the power output it has at various impedance levels 32…300 if anyone knows? And is the SS class A?

Thanks for any advice

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #224 of 632
Nov 9, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #225 of 632
Guys I know you all enjoying your Wells gear buts not let the crickets take over.

So I put RCA 12bh7A grey plate and enjoying my ZMF Atticus.
PXL_20211110_010402254.jpg

The sound is better then my overly modified BottleHead Crack
PXL_20210901_003541047.jpg
PXL_20210901_003730974.jpg

Compare the above to other Crack internals.(I did not build it that person sadly passed away not to long afterwards. Makes me sad that was the real reason he sold it).

The Dragon helps me make a better decision of whether or not I'll sell a headphone. The Atticus was on the chopping block and I just bought it from my friend on head fi. Luckily Dragon saved me from making that mistake.

I was under impression the proper amp has to be an OTL to get the most out of them.

I sold Woo WA5 LE with Mundorf caps as the real amp is the Dragon.

I'm going to be bugging Jeff for the lvl3 soon just waiting to sell the drivers from WA5.

I'd sell the Crack but it has a bad omen. Sold it then bought it back, sold it again and USPS broke the amp so refunded the money and fixed it. So.... It's staying and I'll stain it and make it look pretty maybe learn to build them as I took on modifying headphones from Fostex.

Back to the tubes I'm using right now. They are good especially on a more veiled headphone like the Atticus. Atticus is more veil than the HD650. It has way better base being it's a close back. RCA 12bh7a has the sparkle the holographicness great base awesome mid-range details there in its own spaces so yeah I'm happy with this NOS tube and I have a bunch other ones that I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back