Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Apr 26, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #31 of 632
Just speaking to Jeff and getting setup for my upgrade to lvl3. This Dragon is more enjoyable then listening to the Woo. So I've decided I will sell the Elite. The WA33 is sluggish and it cost arm an leg.
That’s quite a testament to the Dragon. Congrats. I may have to get the Dragon to complement the HT2 L2 at some point but I’m more curious about the Cipher at the moment. Listening mostly to electronic music, I want to make sure the Cipher has enough bass considering your previous comparison to the Chord.

Apr 26, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #32 of 632
Well I'm at a crossroads either level 3 or cipher. All I listen to is edm since the 90's. Cipher doesn't boost the bass it's just there and plays it.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #34 of 632
Does anyone have experience on looking glass? How does it compared against synergistic research or high fidelity cables power conditioners? Considering price vs performance - which one is better between normal vs reference version? Thanks.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #35 of 632
For meze empyrean and rad 0 - dragon level 1 vs level 2 - which is more suitable? Which will have zero hum noise and low noise floor? Thanks.
I have Empyrean and level 1 noise happens if you put the gain to 4 which is too high you won't be able to listen because of volume. I never use dip switch 4 position on any headphone I have. Then you have to decide if 6dj8 is too much. With high impedance I'll mainly use 12hb7 tubes. So proper gain setting dead silent.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #36 of 632
I have Empyrean and level 1 noise happens if you put the gain to 4 which is too high you won't be able to listen because of volume. I never use dip switch 4 position on any headphone I have. Then you have to decide if 6dj8 is too much. With high impedance I'll mainly use 12hb7 tubes. So proper gain setting dead silent.
So For VC dragon able to give zero noise in the background if we lower the gain?

I like Milo's sound, but it produces a little hissing in the background when I connect my verite.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #37 of 632
So For VC dragon able to give zero noise in the background if we lower the gain?

I like Milo's sound, but it produces a little hissing in the background when I connect my verite.
The addition of multiple gain settings was added as a primary design feature for the express purpose of being able to power all headphones on the market from the most difficult to the most efficient loads effectively without noise. From customer feedback it has been a resounding success. You can purchase the Dragon amplifiers with confidence they will power your headphones, no matter what they are, quietly.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #38 of 632
The addition of multiple gain settings was added as a primary design feature for the express purpose of being able to power all headphones on the market from the most difficult to the most efficient loads effectively without noise. From customer feedback it has been a resounding success. You can purchase the Dragon amplifiers with confidence they will power your headphones, no matter what they are, quietly.

Precisely information that I need. Thank you Piper!

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #40 of 632
I use 1266 with 6dj8 and set the gain to 1. Which is 6db gain and it plays good no reason for me to increase gain yet. I'm in the baby stages with this amp. Been more interested in listening to music. I have 5 pairs of tubes coming 4 12bh7 and 1 Russian version of 6dj8. If you look up 6dj8 there's a lot of variants.

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #41 of 632
What are the actual specifications for the Dragon Amp.

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #43 of 632
Work has been nuts this week which has eroded my listening time. Settling in for the evening listening to Diana Krall. Her smoky, sultry voice against the backdrop of bass strings being plucked is the perfect interlude to my week and The Girl In The Other Room is the perfect album to continue my journey with the Dragon. I'm still thrilled with the way this amp is treating me. A few observations over the last week:
  • I had a similar experience to @Bonddam while experimenting with 6dj8s. They took a big sound stage and made it even bigger, but they were also a bit more noisy than the 12bh7s. I've since moved back to the stock tubes that Jeff sent with the unit. @Bonddam as you do some rolling with the 12bh7s, I'd love to hear about your trials and experiences.
  • On a bit of a whim I plugged in my JH Audio Lola CIEMs. With the gain settings down at 1+1 or 0db of gain, I did have some noise between songs. These are my mobile IEMs and are quite sensitive so it might not be entirely fair to plug them into this unit. These things are 16ohms and 105db at 1mW.
  • I've also spent time enjoying my Aryas with the Dragon. They are 35ohms and 90db of sensitivity. I've been listening to the Aryas on the third gain setting (12db). This is more than enough power for the Aryas and they are super quiet.
  • As a side note I've been listing to the TCs on the same gain setting and there is still plenty of power for these cans too.
Happy listening...

Apr 29, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #45 of 632
I got pair of matched Sylvania 12bh7a grey oval plate top o getter. Bought from vivatubes. Nice surprise when I opened my mail box. Need to get something to mark them. They sound different then the TAD 12hb7a. Bass is really good and high end is quieter and sparkly. Last night I had TAD with Solitaire and it was really good but the bass was strange TAD was perfect on 1266. So the Dragon is really all about rolling tubes for different headphones which is great. The TAD was more forward with the treble and Sylvania is not.

Attachments

• 61AF9D14-E6AB-4DD7-B0AC-5ABE8C582D15.jpeg
    61AF9D14-E6AB-4DD7-B0AC-5ABE8C582D15.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 8ABCCD07-C098-4D81-B958-343451B76BE2.jpeg
    8ABCCD07-C098-4D81-B958-343451B76BE2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • B783687D-A44A-4529-9058-B6E73F65DFCA.jpeg
    B783687D-A44A-4529-9058-B6E73F65DFCA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back