Wells Audio - Headtrip amp
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #121 of 194
Here's a good pic of the internals of Cipher lvl 1 for just putting out low voltage signal it's got some pig caps and transformers. Did a comparison between this and Burson Conductor 3xr. The Burson uses same chip but sounds like frying pan in the highest. The Cipher keeps the treble smooth and inviting. Just because it's smooth doesn't mean you loose energy. My big comparison will be against the Holo May KTE. May coming by next month. I'm going rca into the WA33 Elite and Burson is balanced into the amp. So yes 5k beats the all in one Burson of 2k. Recently Zeos said he can't hear a difference but I just told you there is on higher priced units.

Attachments

• PXL_20210320_154351888.jpg
    PXL_20210320_154351888.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 20, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #122 of 194
Here's a good pic of the internals of Cipher lvl 1 for just putting out low voltage signal it's got some pig caps and transformers. Did a comparison between this and Burson Conductor 3xr. The Burson uses same chip but sounds like frying pan in the highest. The Cipher keeps the treble smooth and inviting. Just because it's smooth doesn't mean you loose energy. My big comparison will be against the Holo May KTE. May coming by next month. I'm going rca into the WA33 Elite and Burson is balanced into the amp. So yes 5k beats the all in one Burson of 2k. Recently Zeos said he can't hear a difference but I just told you there is on higher priced units.
@Bonddam for some reason I'm not seeing your picture, did it upload?

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #123 of 194
There you go

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #125 of 194
Bigger transformer. When you unplug the signal cables the amp goes silent. I spoke to Jeff about it and he decided to place the power supply in another box. If you take a Arya it's quite if you connect LCD X you can hear it. The reason is the magnetic field is so strong on the HeadTrip that it puts ingress on the audio line. The Milo has a smaller transformer and weaker magnetic field so ingress is not bleeding into the audio section also there's more distance in between the transformer and analog section of the Milo.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #126 of 194
Based on the specs, headtrip has better noise floor than milo. But why headtrip throws hum with easy to drive headphones and milo is not? Is it because of higher power? Thanks.

I do get a hum with Grado and Stellia on the Milo. On the Grado it is unbearable. On the Stellia it is still alright once music plays.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #127 of 194
I had hum on Milo with LCD X. I don't think Jeff had plans for people to use anything but low sensitivity power hungry headphones. You can tell how easily it drives the 1266.

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #128 of 194
I had hum on Milo with LCD X. I don't think Jeff had plans for people to use anything but low sensitivity power hungry headphones. You can tell how easily it drives the 1266.

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #129 of 194
hit reply too quick. does the noise floor of an amp have any relation to the hum with sensitive headphones? I'm trying to understand the relationship between an external power supply and noise floor.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #130 of 194
hit reply too quick. does the noise floor of an amp have any relation to the hum with sensitive headphones? I'm trying to understand the relationship between an external power supply and noise floor.
The noise is there no matter which headphone is hooked up it's just that the hum isn't as high as you might think the more sensitive the headphone is the louder the hum. Once you remove the magnetic field away from the signal path this will eliminate noise totally. What you hear is the 60hz note from your wall outlet that is fed into the amp and What Jeff won't do is put in filters that other amp companies put in to solve the problem because he believes those devices hinder sound quality. That's why Burson does not use transformers in their designs they patent a different circuit to solve the issue with 60hz hum. I will say out of all the amps I have owned the Wells stuff picks up router noise if too close. I had to move my router about 15 ft away because it has strong amplifiers to transmit wifi.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #132 of 194
Bigger transformer. When you unplug the signal cables the amp goes silent. I spoke to Jeff about it and he decided to place the power supply in another box. If you take a Arya it's quite if you connect LCD X you can hear it. The reason is the magnetic field is so strong on the HeadTrip that it puts ingress on the audio line. The Milo has a smaller transformer and weaker magnetic field so ingress is not bleeding into the audio section also there's more distance in between the transformer and analog section of the Milo.
Thanks

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #133 of 194
Has anyone compared wells audio cipher against holo audio may? Which one has better analog sounding experience and wider, deeper sound stage and resolution. Thanks
I actually am having a May being built.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #135 of 194
No hum on Solitaire or my tinnitus was louder then the hum. Didn't compare the 1266 and Susvara. Don't listen to regular music. I'm really into edm only but the newer female rock sounds amazing on the 1266. Never had anything sound bad on HeadTrip. The amp adds tube magic to all music. By the way 1266 don't sound like normal headphones they have their own magic. I've listened to Susvara on a standard Woo WA33 and was impressed by everything but the bass it didn't do what 1266 does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back