Wellp no more Paypal Personal Payments for me
May 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mr.Sneis

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got this e-mail from Paypal, seems to be what happens when people are writing "product" descriptions when sending you personal payments rather than leaving comments blank or "happy birthday"-like.

FWIW some of you guys are probably going to high horse and flame, thanks budds.

Quote:
On May 30, 2011, we sent you an email about how you were receiving personal payments for purchases.

The "Personal" payment is for sending money through PayPal to friends and family, it should not be used as a method of payment for purchases of items or services.

Since then, we've noticed that some of your customers are still paying for purchases using the Personal payment option.

As a result, we've disabled your account's Personal payment option. All future transactions will be sent through the "Purchase Goods / Services" option and standard business transaction rates will apply.

You have full access to your PayPal account and can continue to send, receive and withdraw money.

Here's how you can find more information about payment types and fees:

1.Click "Fees" at the bottom of any PayPal page
2.Click "Legal Agreements" at the bottom of any PayPal page, and then click "PayPal User Agreement." Sections 4 and 8 refer to recieving money and fees.

If you have any questions, concerns, or think we may have made a mistake, please contact us at P2P@paypal.com.

Sincerely,
Cathy
Personal to Personal Team

PayPal

May 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 8
Were they being sent as "gifts" or "payment owed" - you could make the claim that since you're dealing with friends on forums (also add that it's not for profit) it qualifies for the "payment owed" personal option.  

Edit - You do have to be careful in your subject line when sending as a personal payment.  It's a big red flag for paypal.  

May 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 8
I think they were gifts and not payment owed.  I realize trying to fight it is probably not going to get me far.  I'm still in shock, not sure if I'm going to bite the bullet every damn time OR look for alternatives that typically deter other buyers and sellers!

The only consolation that I have is that at least my headfone rigg these days is at a place that I'm pretty satisfied with so it may be a good time to sloow down on the classifieds.

May 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
They really clamp down on the gift option.  If any goods exchange hands, even between friends, they lock it down fairly quick.  

There is no bylaw that I am aware of against you setting up a new account.  Just set up a new checking account, email, and credit card to link and you're good to go.  

Indeed, still thanks for posting this. I'm soon to get into the FS Forum and it's good to get some guideline as to what to do and what not to do!
Quote:
That is a good idea!  A bit of work but I would probably just be able to be more cautious in any event and still use the "main" account for regular reasons.

xD new account's are always the answer :3... except at the public Libriary... those people hunt you down for book fines >.>

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Darn Bookman.  Was it Tropic of Cancer or Tropic of Capricorn?

Too bad google checkout didn't catch on.  I liked a lot of things they were doing.   

I like alot of what google is doing as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back