Well-reviewed Fostex TH-500RP planar magnetics now on sale for $329
Feb 22, 2016 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Fifinder

Head-Fier
Steve Guttenberg, "the Audiophiliac," wrote of the Fostex TH-500RP, "This headphone sounds fuller and richer than Audeze's latest LCD-2 and Hifiman's new HE-560 headphones. The TH500RP is downright soulful, and this may sound strange, but it makes digital recordings sound more like analog recordings, and that's a compliment."

So for $329, that sounds like a steal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291626091501. Via dealnews.com, http://dealnews.com/Fostex-TH-500-RP-Planar-Magnetic-Headphones-for-329-free-shipping/1606412.html

Guttenberg's review is here: http://www.cnet.com/news/absolutely-sublime-fostex-th500rp-headphones/

For the record, I've never heard the TH-500RP and am not affiliated with anyone or any company mentioned here. Just passing it along.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 66
IIRC, most people found similar priced planars to be superior which is why this headphone is overlooked by most.  Correct me if I'm wrong though.  

At $329 though, probably worth looking into.

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 66
I purchased these as a retirement gift for a fellow music enthusiast, and HAD to give them a listen when the package arrived on my doorstep...wouldn't want to gift defective phones, right. Listened to some music I know well for about 3 hours.  First, the package, and build quality are way above the current price level.  Not surprising given the MSRP.   The package doubles as a first class storage box.  I wish I had another box like this for my TH-X00.  Like the TH-X00, I found these to be extremely comfortable and experienced no fatigue during the 3+ hours I used them.  I was surprised as they do feel light.  The ear pads and headband are generously padded.  This was my first experience with a planar phone.  I am not an audiophile and have trouble describing the sound signature of headphones the way that others do here, but I definitely like what I heard.  I have ordered some for myself.  I guess I need to give them some time when they arrive, and express myself more precisely with regard to how they sound.  

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 66
  IIRC, most people found similar priced planars to be superior which is why this headphone is overlooked by most.  Correct me if I'm wrong though.  

At $329 though, probably worth looking into.

Your wrong.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 66
Were these not overlooked by many at the original price of $699? Or am I wrong that they are probably a good deal at $329?

No, your wrong when you stated, most people found similar priced planars to be superior. Truth is, most people need to be told what to buy, as they have no clue. Those of us with good hearing(like myself), let there ears be the judge. This is why I bought the the 500's and have zero regret. They sound better than PM2, HM560's, LC2's, my ol' reliable HD650's, and anything else I listened to with a msrp of under $1k.

And I don't care if they use a very similar driver to the 50's. I just know they sound fantastic. 
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 66
And I don't care if they use a very similar driver to the 50's. I just know they sound fantastic. 
tongue.gif

Well thats the problem. A lot of people DO care. I'd personally felt cheated if they would try to sell me T50RP with the only difference being housing and  another 0 in the name.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 66
Its a shame that the TH500RP isn't more popular, i've been researching them and finding out everything about them because i'm planning on buying them in a few weeks. Fostex have been making planar magnetic headphones for around 40 years ( the first T50RP's where introduced in 1974-75). That's much longer than the other "more expensive" manufacturers who haven't even been making them for half that time. My guess is that these "more expensive" planar manufacturers will go out of business long before Fostex. Audeze is already starting to show signs of failure with a growing number of customer complaints on driver failings,wood peeling/cracking,earpad colouration fading/material breaking up...the list goes on.

Fostex have a unique and successfull ethos of quality and simplicity. Their headphones are timeless and not like the "fads" of other manufacturers...
most people dont find that appealing, yet it's still the reason why the T50RP's are sought after by some, in it's 40 year history.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 66
Its a shame that the TH500RP isn't more popular, i've been researching them and finding out everything about them because i'm planning on buying them in a few weeks. Fostex have been making planar magnetic headphones for around 40 years ( the first T50RP's where introduced in 1974-75). That's much longer than the other "more expensive" manufacturers who haven't even been making them for half that time. My guess is that these "more expensive" planar manufacturers will go out of business long before Fostex. Audeze is already starting to show signs of failure with a growing number of customer complaints on driver failings,wood peeling/cracking,earpad colouration fading/material breaking up...the list goes on.

Fostex have a unique and successfull ethos of quality and simplicity. Their headphones are timeless and not like the "fads" of other manufacturers...
most people dont find that appealing, yet it's still the reason why the T50RP's are sought after by some, in it's 40 year history.

yes and no. As a TH-500 owner, I do find it meaningfully superior to me when compared to a stock T50 rp in sonics, aesthetic and comfort terms, to warrant its cost difference.

While i agree with your sentiment on principle, in practise, it's not as clear cut, fostex used to be engineered and made in Japan, but for the past decade or so, their products are made in China. Last night the perforated outer "back" baffle of my th500's left earcup came loose and started to vibrate/rattle until I blu tacked it back in place. I'll have to contact the distributor for it be repaired/replace only after 3 weeks or so.

when you physically examine your th500s, lightly tap on the perforated part of the earups to see whether they ring or if the sound the same on both sides.

in this case, the left cup perforated surface sounds hollow and ringy at several points while the right cup's surface appears to be damped and consistent.

I am a little annoyed as I chose the th500s over a discounted hifiman HE-500 after reading about reliability issues over hifi man's quality control lol.

it's just the luck of the draw it seems...

but having said that I still love the way it sounds.

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 66
yes and no. As a TH-500 owner, I do find it meaningfully superior to me when compared to a stock T50 rp in sonics, aesthetic and comfort terms, to warrant its cost difference.

While i agree with your sentiment on principle, in practise, it's not as clear cut, fostex used to be engineered and made in Japan, but for the past decade or so, their products are made in China. Last night the perforated outer "back" baffle of my th500's left earcup came loose and started to vibrate/rattle until I blu tacked it back in place. I'll have to contact the distributor for it be repaired/replace only after 3 weeks or so.

when you physically examine your th500s, lightly tap on the perforated part of the earups to see whether they ring or if the sound the same on both sides.

in this case, the left cup perforated surface sounds hollow and ringy at several points while the right cup's surface appears to be damped and consistent.

I am a little annoyed as I chose the th500s over a discounted hifiman HE-500 after reading about reliability issues over hifi man's quality control lol.

it's just the luck of the draw it seems...

but having said that I still love the way it sounds.

I will try out the little earcup test you mention when I get the TH500 in 3 weeks, should be interesting. Perhaps the left cup sounds that way because the baffle was much looser to begin with. I guess every manufacturer is guilty of this kind of thing though.

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 66

+1
I have purchased two TH500RP in the past two weeks, one as a gift, and one for my own use.  I do not have any other headphones with an MSRP in the ballpark of the TH500RP.  In addition these are my only pair of open back cans, and my only experience with a planar driver.  So far, I can say that I am really enjoying them. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 66
is it possible for the admins to merge this thread into this ?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684441/new-fostex-rp-open-backed-planar-magnetic-headphone-th500rp-available-now/400_100#post_12376754

thx

Why? Is it that much trouble to look at both?

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 66
  Well thats the problem. A lot of people DO care. I'd personally felt cheated if they would try to sell me T50RP with the only difference being housing and  another 0 in the name.

Why would you feel cheated? The difference from the 50~500~900 is most likely a few bucks in driver cost.

Would you feel cheated buying a Oppo PM1 knowing the same driver is in the PM2?

Sennheiser used the same driver in the HD580, 600 & 650.

Do you really think there are different drivers in all of the different models from a single manufacture?

I for one could care less how they wrap the copper, as long as the end result sounds good.

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 66
If you do some digging in the TH500RP thread you'll discover that the drivers have a different grid pattern to the T50RP's. That's quite an important change...and it means they don't sound the same. It's not like Fostex just took T50RP drivers and put them in another shell without changing a thing, there's more to it than that.

No one is being cheated.

If you dig deep enough, you'll find the truth
smile.gif

Don't always believe everything you read on Head Fi...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back