Well, now I feel pretty stupid.
Dec 14, 2007 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

concrete_d

Head-Fier
So it's finals time at my college, and I only have one this Friday and one next Thursday (my other classes had finals before the end of instruction). I figure this week's final is no big deal, so I decided to take it easy, watch a couple movies, play some video games, listen to music. As I get into bed I glance at my calendar (which reads December 14th since it's past midnight) and think to myself, "Hey, isn't the final on the 13th?"

Cue cold sweat.

Sure enough, I check, and the final really is on the 13th. Thursday the 13th. I briefly entertain thoughts about emailing my professor with some story (debilitating illness, some kind of emergency), but decided to own up to my idiocy and tell him what actually happened. I've sent the email, but the chances of getting a make-up final slot are slim to none, I'd wager.

I suppose it's not THAT big a deal - my GPA is high enough that an F wouldn't hit it too badly, and if I take a class over the summer my credit requirement is fine. I'm just irked that this wouldn't be any concern if I'd just bothered to double-check the date before I decided to chill out.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 29
That's like my worst fear during exam time... I check and recheck my times until they're engrained in my mind. I'm about to go out and write my last exam, and since it's so early in the morning, I set three alarms just in case of power failure/intense over sleeping! Oh exams...

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by concrete_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it's finals time at my college, and I only have one this Friday and one next Thursday (my other classes had finals before the end of instruction). I figure this week's final is no big deal, so I decided to take it easy, watch a couple movies, play some video games, listen to music. As I get into bed I glance at my calendar (which reads December 14th since it's past midnight) and think to myself, "Hey, isn't the final on the 13th?"

Cue cold sweat.

Sure enough, I check, and the final really is on the 13th. Thursday the 13th. I briefly entertain thoughts about emailing my professor with some story (debilitating illness, some kind of emergency), but decided to own up to my idiocy and tell him what actually happened. I've sent the email, but the chances of getting a make-up final slot are slim to none, I'd wager.

I suppose it's not THAT big a deal - my GPA is high enough that an F wouldn't hit it too badly, and if I take a class over the summer my credit requirement is fine. I'm just irked that this wouldn't be any concern if I'd just bothered to double-check the date before I decided to chill out.

I actually always dream of this kind of thing happening to me close to exam times. Fortunately none has come true so far (so I still believe dreams don't come true, not that easily anyway).

Hopefully things work out for you in the end. Cheers!

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's like my worst fear during exam time... I check and recheck my times until they're engrained in my mind. I'm about to go out and write my last exam, and since it's so early in the morning, I set three alarms just in case of power failure/intense over sleeping! Oh exams...

I also do something like this. Then I tell everyone around me when my exams are. Then, they can at least remind me.
cool.gif

@concrete_d, I hope all turns out well for you.
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 29
You did the right thing in telling the thruth!

When I had exams in college I would make a huge paperboard(something like 3feetx4feet) will all the dates written on it and hand it in front of my bed. Every morning I would wake up and read it. I never missed an exam!

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 29
Ooops....just one of lifes many lessons I guess. However , you've definitely done the right thing in being upfront with your professor about it , rather than try and BS him... best of luck.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 29
When I was in University I was working at a grocery store to pay the bills, mostly nights during first year.

Anyway, I got home from a shift at 8am and had an evening exam later that night at 7pm. I could never sleep right after a night shift so I decided to stay up until around 11am or so and study, then take a nap until about 5pm and get ready to go to the exam.

I swear I think my heart stopped when in a half awake stupor I glanced at the clock and realized it was 8:25pm and it was dark in my room. I jumped and like a flash and just stood there panicking not knowing what to do.

I ended up not going and emailing my prof telling him the truth, to which he replied that he had never had a student tell him they slept in to an exam at 7pm. He was cool enough to give me a chance to make it up...

It pays to tell the truth I guess...good luck...

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 29
Ouch. I ran into something similar my last year. Class had 4 tests and 1 project, lowest grade dropped. Did decent on the 4 tests, didn't turn in the project. Got an F. Apparently a passing grade on the project was mandatory even if grade was dropped... Good thing that was never documented though. Eventually got it fixed after going through the college dean, but it was touch and go for a while.

Best of luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alleyman
Ouch! Must say I've had that 'sensation' more than once. It was terrifying everytime but luckily I woke up to realize it was just a dream.

Same here, but worse. I didn't attend three quarters of the classes during my last two years, so I kept getting a nagging feeling that there was a class or two I was neglecting and going to fail as a result.

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 29
I took my last finals last year, and I still had this dream last night. However, being a teacher myself now, I can only tell you that the thing I want most is to give people who try a fair shot. Hopefully for you a fair shot is a makeup exam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back