Well it's official, I'm boycotting Sony/BMG
Mar 10, 2006 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
I was at Best Buy today and was ready to buy the Miranda Lambert album after Mike Dias from Ultimate Ears recommended it. Then I noticed that it was a Sony/BMG release and put it right back on the shelf. Hopefully if there are enough of us doing this we can get them to wake up and smell the coffee. This is a direct result of all the garbage I went through with the Santana album and the (as far as I'm concerned) virus that they installed on my computer even after I declined the EULA.
mad.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 22
Hehe! You went through that rootkit **** too, eh? I couldn't believe they did that. Thankfully the only cds I have from Sony are predate April 2005.
580smile.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
and the (as far as I'm concerned) virus that they installed on my computer even after I declined the EULA.
mad.gif

Sue their asses, that's illegal.
EDIT: removed incorrect information
EDIT #2: this post really serves no purpose and never should have been posted.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ameyer17
Sue their asses, that's illegal.
EDIT: removed incorrect information

Last I heard there was going to be a class action suit somewhere on the west coast, California or Oregon. Donno what came off it. Stopped following the story.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 22
I got an e-mail from Sony about the class action the other day...haven't really had time to follow up, though.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 22
fyi, the 12/2005 msrt from microsoft automatically removes the sony drm rootkit.

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 22
Dude - you rule! Welcome to the Sony boycot!
icon10.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 22
I won't support or disparage this "boycott," but I will say that Sony has already been taken to task for this in the media department, and is, I am sure, in the midst of a legal repremand. For months I've seen articles about this in mainstream magazines and publications--Wired, Sound and Vision, and others. It's news to no one and is not being ignored by Sony.

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #11 of 22
As a housekeeping matter, I also want to remind people to keep this discussion civil and not turn this thread into a flaming rant. That includes discussion of other things that we're not supposed to be discussing on this site.

I know this subject gets a bit emotional, so I just wanted to remind everyone to keep the temperature down in here. Thanks....

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
what's this all about? can someone post a link to info about what sony's up to? i want an excuse to boycott them!
tongue.gif

If you haven't already done so, Google "Sony Rootkit". Basically what it was that some Sony CDs installed some kinda software that more or less was spyware. What infuriarated the people was that there was no mention of it in the EULA (for those who care to read it anyway) and that it was almost completely undetectable (for the guys who don't speak in binary language anyway) and you could not remove it without seriously damaging the operating system. When the story did come out, Sony did release a patch but made it very tough, or should I say the process was long drawn out for people affected to get the patch (i.e. there was no universal uninstaller, each person had to write an email and they sent a mail back and some other stuff I forgot). That they were so blase about it in the beginning made it worse and the media gave them hell, I suppose.

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri
I won't support or disparage this "boycott," but I will say that Sony has already been taken to task for this in the media department, and is, I am sure, in the midst of a legal repremand. For months I've seen articles about this in mainstream magazines and publications--Wired, Sound and Vision, and others. It's news to no one and is not being ignored by Sony.

Well yes and no. Their response to the rootkit issue was to create a new form of essentially the same thing.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back