Well, I promised my self I wouldn't ask about amps yet, but...
Nov 9, 2002 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

DarkWolf

500+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty set on getting a pair of 590s once I have some car repairs and denal work out of the way. Regretfuly, I'm already starting to wonder about amps. What will work the best with the 590s? I'm very interested in cross-feed, since I do notice a bit of fatigue from phones compaired to speakers. Given that, I'm pretty interested in meier-audio's head amp. My only real justification for making this post now is that if I did decide that I would get one of these, that I could undoubtedly get some discount from Jan if I ordered the phones and amp together. That's good since I'd want it assembled and that costs $345, which is pretty steep for me. Steep enough that I wonder what else I could get, not just for >$100 less, but also for $100 or so more. I know this is saying a lot, and I'm regretting the words comming out of my fingers already, but I've got the itch.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Wheatfield Audio HA-1 from headroom is quite interesting too. It claims to be a solid state and tube hybrid offering some of the best of both worlds. If that's true, I'm interested, and I've read almost entirely good things about it. I think only one negative opinnion out of 20 or so... But $530? ouch. Maybe it would be worth it to have the speed and punch of solid state and the smoothness, opness and slight cross talk of tubes... But a $530 amp + $175 headphones + a $120 cable = about 1/5 of a cheap used Porsche. I don't know if I can live with that. This would be a really good time for someone to say something that will let me rest easy...

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf
This would be a really good time for someone to say something that will let me rest easy...

Step away from the cridt card!! You'll thank me later, trust me. Once you read about how someone else took amp xyz and added some 2009 buffers, or an OPA637 op amp, and you'll never be satisfied. That itch you can't scratch will return with a vengeance.

My suggestion: If you get something really cheap to begin with you'll have the ability to upgrade slowly as the money comes available. Maybe someone can whip up an Altoids or something similar for you to start with. I had a Creek OBH-11 that did quite well with my Senn 600s, but that's about $200 and not upgradeable. Although it can be picked up for about $120 used here every so often.....

Lord Bless

Nov 9, 2002 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 61
Sound advice, though the 590s are easy enough to drive that I'd probably have to get a little bit more than a pimped out altoids box to justify the cost via improvement. I think the Corda Headamp might really have my name on it, but I'm not sure. I know even less about amps than I do about high quality head phones.
frown.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 61
DarkWolf,

I don't know anything about the Corda, so someone else will have to give you some advice there. I do hope you find something that works synergistically with the cans you already have. It's a good place to start, with the cans that is, and then add the things you want that work well with it. It gets expensive when you start doing things in a hit and miss fashion. Not to mention frustrating.

OBTW - what would you do with a spaceship?? The gas alone would break the bank, you'd never find a parking spot what with the space shuttle thing selfishly hogging the only spot in the northern hemisphere, and most parking lot attendants wouldn't like the scorched pavement it left on the ground when you left!! Not to mention the whole acceleration calculations thing you would have to figure out just to make sure you didn't land in Timbuktu when you just went to 7/11 for a Slurpee!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
And I'm sure a licence to drive that thing would cost a small fortune also!!! And who would teach you how to parallel park it anyway? Uri Gregarin?

OK, enough bad puns and jokes!!

Lord Bless

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 61
Well, I don't want a low-tech chemical propelled ship like the space the shuttle, haha! That would be silly! I'm a 'Trek fan, so go figure. Not saying I want someone to build me the enterprise, per se, (if someone does, that'll be fine though) but I wouldn't bother with a space ship unless it were a hell of a lot more versitile than anything nasa has, and capable of faster than light travel. And they're working on it... They're messing around with antimater and trying to figure out how to go faster than light. I think we'll do it someday, but I'm not likely to get my hands on a ship like that.

Anyway, back to amps..... What's the deal with all the "colors" of corda and other amps? I hear corda blue a lot, what does this mean?

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 61
Dark wolf, just wondering, why the 590's? I'm assuming you don't have them yet (I didn't read your whole post so correct me if you already have them) but I haven't heard good thing about the 590s. I don't have them so don't take my word for it but I'm just telling you what I've heard. Suposedly, the 580s are much better and cheeper. You could also go with the 600s, if you have 260 to spend. (etronics)

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 61
Well, I don't have them yet, but I've tried them and I like them. From what I've seen they are pretty similar to the 580/600 in a lot of ways, but less laid back.. There are a few people who claim to like them better than the 600's for reasons that I agree with based on my taste in music. Plus I want an open phone and high comfort, and there's no arguing with the 590s there!

Ok, so about amps.. I just read through Wodgy's thread on his new wood and metal meta 42 and I think I'd like to learn how to make my own amp(s). Where should I go to start learning about it? I have little background in electronics, I took half a class in it in high school, but it was the first class in they day and I couldn't deal with it that early in the moring, so I dropped out after the first trimester.. I can solder though, and I know a few basics..

Nov 9, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Anyway, back to amps..... What's the deal with all the "colors" of corda and other amps? I hear corda blue a lot, what does this mean?

That refers to the new colored led that is installed on the front of the amp instead of the old red, I ebelieve, one that was factory installed. Some people really seem to like the blue light versus the red ones. Basically someone here from Head-Fi opens it up, takes out the components to be replaced, and then puts in better quality and sounding components. Upgrading these components can dramatically affect the aound quality and enjoyability quite a bit.

Lord Bless

OBTW - I'm a big Trek fan also.

Nov 9, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 61
Huh, that's cool. I guess having an upgrade path like that would be favorable to any given amp. I wonder if they make purple LEDs... That would be a cool upgrade.
cool.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 61
Ok Dark Wolf, have fun with your 590s!!

Nov 10, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

I just read through Wodgy's thread on his new wood and metal meta 42 and I think I'd like to learn how to make my own amp(s). Where should I go to start learning about it?

Start here:
Tangent's Audio Site
HeadWize

When in Headwize, look into the Project Library.

Nov 10, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 61
DarkWolf: You've asked about the Corda HA-1 - as many others here, I have one, too, and I'm very happy with it: nice device, fine sound, good match with a wide variety of headphones, fair price - I can't really say anything negative about it (maybe except that its quality makes me wonder, what Jan will offer with the more expensive PreHead...
wink.gif
). And if you want to save a few bucks, you could buy it as a kit and practice your soldering skills...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 10, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 61
Quote:

Huh, that's cool. I guess having an upgrade path like that would be favorable to any given amp. I wonder if they make purple LEDs... That would be a cool upgrade.
cool.gif

DarkWolf,

The ability to "pop and swap" components to find that sound you are looking for is definitely a big plus!! In solid state amps you can change certain components like caps, resistors, and op amps to play with the sound. In tube amps you can change resistors, caps and tubes. Tubes being the more expensive of the options to change out. I think the most expensive op amps around cost about $40 for a pair, while tubes can run into the hundreds of dollars per pair. Plus, I don't believe there is a tubes headphone amp made that does the crossfeed. Yet...

Lord Bless

Nov 10, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #14 of 61
How hard would it be to do the headamp as a DIY? I can solder, but if it gets really nit-picky I'm not sure If I'd be up to it or not. How small are the parts? Also, I belive Jan said he uses silver solder, which I understand is harder to work with? How much harder is it?

Nov 10, 2002 at 11:51 AM Post #15 of 61
Ok, first off, I may be mistaken here, but AFAIK the Corda Blue refers to a KurtW modded Corda. One of the mods is to install the blue LED which distinguishes it from the stock Corda. From all accounts I've read these mods make a significant improvement to the Corda.

Something else you could try Darkwolf would be Cmoy with crossfeed from JMT. Should be a world better than the stock headphone out of most PCDP's and amps. This would give you a taste of what an amp can do at a reasonable cost plus you could get JMT to socket the opamps so you can experiment to see which you like best. I just got one myself a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it.

Just a thought,

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back