well. HD595 has gone... beyers 660 or 860 may be a good option?
Jul 4, 2005 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Dragonmilenario

100+ Head-Fier
i want to buy the Sennheiser Hd595 but is difficult to buy in spain, the one page i found, now has gone... now i see the Beyers BT660 and BT860

the beyerdynamics 660 or 860 for 145/185 euros are a good price? the sennys are better? i want to use this with good HiFi and may for portable use...

i play indie music and i want a good and flat response

thanks.

Jul 4, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 17
I would say the HD595 is the way to go if you want an accurate/flat overall response.

About the DT660 and DT860 I can only say that they would seem interesting phones ... which I had considered for myself for a while, but eventually was put off by reports saying that they suffer from a lower treble boost that causes a turn towards a cold/glassy sound.

Jul 4, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 17
DT 660 and DT 860 are all but neutral, with their heavy (lower-)treble emphasis. The HD 595 sounds much more natural and musical to my ears. You shouldn't have problems to buy it online -- e.g. from Meier Audio, one of Head-Fi's sponsors.

peacesign.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 17
I'd say also that 595 is the way to go.

Funny that you can't buy them from Spain when in Finland every other HiFi store sells them.

Spain vs. Finland = Big vs. Small
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakked1
Just for the record, the DT660s don't have a lower treble emphasis, the 595s just have a lower treble hole, with an emphasized mid-bass (i.e. typical Senn freq graph): =243&graphID[]=411]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=411

Then again, the lower treble "hole" that the headroom measurement lets you expect is denied by the Stereoplay graphs which show no holes ... and more than that, from the (my) ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 17
The perceived response of the HD595, graphs notwithstanding, is very even, making for a natural sound without any odd alteration jumping at you -- that's what JaZZ and I meant to convey.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 17
I found this chart interesting after looking at the one noted above:

=255&graphID[]=86&graphID[]=410&graphID[]=243]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=243

Only if you are a chart watcher of course....
tongue.gif

The flattest curve in my estimation is the DT660,it get to 10k before it is out of the +/- 5 dB range of zero, except for the low end where it only gets to 40 before getting out of this range where the others take it a little lower. If you look at the DT 880 it gets to 8k before getting out of this range and it goes lower. I just was looking at the chart again and the DT660 did have a little dip below -5 around 4K so maybe the DT880 is actually flatter if +/- 5 dB can be our range of interest!

I can see where someone may suggest that the DT880 or the DT 660 are a little brighter than the Senns since the Senns seem to consistently go below the -5 dB a little earlier in the range between 4k and 6k whereas the Beyers do not. Both the Beyers go on the high side around 8 to 10k. Harmonics will be more significant with the Beyers if these charts mean anything?
tongue.gif

Having little to do this afternoon I took the link above and found several of the Headroom headphone charts just by changing the numbers around in the URL.

Sony CD3000 is 284 or 285
Grado RS-1 is 121-125
Beyer DT 250-80 is 55 or 56

Several other were identified but I do not know actually how to understand them exactly since they originally were published as right and left channels, so the dual numbers above may mean that.

Jul 4, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 17
I find both the DT660 and DT860 to be definately bright with a lower treble emphasis as JaZZ already pointed out. The DT860 was perhaps overly so even in conjunction with a 120 Ohm adapter. Frankly, I wouldn't bother with the DT860 unless you like a really bright sound, particularly not for 185 Euros! The DT660, however, is quite a fun sounding headphone with lots of spirit (bright but within acceptable parameters...) and a tight yet still tuneful bass. When used with a 120 ohm adapter the DT660 achieves a slightly better balance than without although it becomes harder to drive, too. Nevertheless, both headphones are not necessarily flat, e.g. when compared to a good pair of speakers.

Comfort is so-so with both the DT660 and DT860, less comfortable than the HD 595. The DT 660 is a decent closed headphone overall - with some reservations such as brightish sound, not the best lower midrange and a tendency to sizzle with vocals. However, it's the one of the most toe-tapping-inducing headphones I've come arcross.

Also, I think that while graphs can be a good reference and analyzing tool, they should be taken with a grain of salt as explained by a headfier here . Actually, I find these graphs to be more useful in order to "read" or confirm what I'm hearing instead of trying to imagine/extrapolate how a pair of headphones I've never heard might sound according to some graphs.

Jul 4, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakked1
Just for the record, the DT660s don't have a lower treble emphasis, the 595s just have a lower treble hole, with an emphasized mid-bass (i.e. typical Senn freq graph): =243&graphID[]=411]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=411

but does bass, like bass drum still show through?im a basshead and im making a sacrifice to my prefrence in headphones by trying the HD555's.

Jul 4, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 17
For a basehead and the Beyers you could consider the DT770s. They have a much heavier base sound than almost any others for this manufacturer. I think to much myself but thats why we have many different phones, to handle various preferences.

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 17
If you're all about bass then either the DT770 or the Ultrasone HFI-700 is what you want. Personally I preferred the HFI's bass quality somewhat when I tested them, though the DT770 has a more natural (if slightly more recessed) midrange. The DT660 does a good job in the bass region of my needs (and I listen to a fair amount of electronica) but it doesn't quite have the punch+control of those other two. Problem for me was the HFI-700 had too much bass, and it ended up dominating a lot of the music.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 17
thats why im trying out the HD555's, i dont want the bass to dominate my music anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back