Well guys, I'm done
Mar 28, 2006 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Inter

100+ Head-Fier
.. this is the last headamp I will ever need to buy, short of upgrading to another Singlepower amp. It just arrived, so I present to you, the Singlepower MPX3-SLAM (with Black gate cathodes and Jensen PIO as further upgrades):

I'm the worst photographer in the world, but what the hell!

The HF-1 is watching as Katatonia's Finest, Viva Emptiness, adorn this marvellous piece of audio machinery:

An overhead shot of the amp:

Seen from the front:

As for the sound. What can I say? Pure audio bliss. A fantastic impact, although I do hear the amp needs a fair amount of burn-in. The treble just ain't like it should be yet. This amp is simply fantastic in every aspect, and I can't wait to start tuberolling a little. For now I am just gonna listen to it for a while with the stock tubes and sort of taking it all in. There's so much to listen to all over again, due to the much more hard-hitting and detailed impact of this amp over my previous (the Lite + DPS). As much as I love the Gilmore, the MPX3-SLAM blows it straight outta the water. Of course, it costs more than twice the amount of the Lite+DPS, so I was expecting at least some improvements. Boy am I happy!

It took about 7 weeks to finally get this baby and for anyone wondering if it is worth the wait (and money, it will set you back some $1300-1400 or so), I can only say hell yes!

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 29
Congratulations .... and I wouldnt be to concerned with the treble .... thats likely the EH 6SN7 tube. The EH is on the rough side until it breaks in. Most nos 6SN7GT's will take the sound up a notch and add back some refinement and midrange liquidity. For a more cost effective solution .... the EH 6SN7 gold pin is very similar sounding to the standard EH tube, but in long listening sessions I have come to the conclusion the gold pin has a softer treble that is easier on the ears; atleast in my setup anyway. So things will only get better!
icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 29
Katatonia randomly started playing when I was in myspace the other day. I'm really not sure how it came up at all, but the music was great! I need to find out more about that band.

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Famous last words.
very_evil_smiley.gif

lol

congrats on your new amp </drool>

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 29
Congrats on the new amp, I love my MPX3 so much I can't put it into words.
icon10.gif

I like to try other headphones and tubes but right now I am quite happy.

Mikhail is also the nicest guy in head-fi audio.

Listen to sacdlover he knows his tubes, He has been a great help to me and others here for sure.

Carefull with the volume save those ears.

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx

Mikhail is also the nicest guy in head-fi audio.

Listen to sacdlover he knows his tubes, He has been a great help to me and others here for sure.

those almost qualify as severe understatements. both helped me immensely a few months back...feel like i got it right the first time with their assistance. love my singlepower ppx3 slam!
eggosmile.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 29
Beautiful!!! That's my next amp purchase, so I definately envy you right now
smily_headphones1.gif

How long did it take for Mikhail to build & ship it? What do you think of the tone control?

BTW, there is no way you are done. I've said that before, and so have many others
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
Katatonia randomly started playing when I was in myspace the other day. I'm really not sure how it came up at all, but the music was great! I need to find out more about that band.

Check out the pictured Viva Emptiness and their newest, The Great Cold Distance before you move into older Katatonia areas such as (their masterpiece) Brave Murder Day, but that one is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. They were still growling and screaming at that point. Quote:

Originally Posted by auris
those almost qualify as severe understatements. both helped me immensely a few months back...feel like i got it right the first time with their assistance. love my singlepower ppx3 slam!

Oh yeah. They are both fine fellows and both have helped me this time around.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Famous last words.

Yeah I know, sigh.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacdlover
Congratulations .... and I wouldnt be to concerned with the treble .... thats likely the EH 6SN7 tube. The EH is on the rough side until it breaks in. Most nos 6SN7GT's will take the sound up a notch and add back some refinement and midrange liquidity. For a more cost effective solution .... the EH 6SN7 gold pin is very similar sounding to the standard EH tube, but in long listening sessions I have come to the conclusion the gold pin has a softer treble that is easier on the ears; atleast in my setup anyway. So things will only get better!

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif
I will fully break the tube and the amp in and then have a good listening test. If I find the treble to be a little too much off, I should perhaps try the tube you mention, I'll send you a pm with some questions at some point if you dont mind. Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
How long did it take for Mikhail to build & ship it? What do you think of the tone control?

BTW, there is no way you are done. I've said that before, and so have many others

Well, it went almost exactly 7 weeks until I ordered till I got it at the post office. Disregarding the shipping I suppose he spent about 6 weeks building it. I believe it was a demo model though, so I think he just rebuilt it and upgraded it according to the specs we agreed on.

As for tone control, I'm not entirely sure what you refer to. The musicality or what sort of control the amp keeps on the different frequencies?

Thanks all for the gratses!

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
As for tone control, I'm not entirely sure what you refer to. The musicality or what sort of control the amp keeps on the different frequencies?

Sorry bout that, mistook the the volume control for the tone control. My mistake
smily_headphones1.gif

The "tone control" as I call it is sort of a "warmth dial". It's an optional addition to Singlepower amps.

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Sorry bout that, mistook the the volume control for the tone control. My mistake
smily_headphones1.gif

The "tone control" as I call it is sort of a "warmth dial". It's an optional addition to Singlepower amps.

Sounds suspiciously like EQ to me.
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #15 of 29
Similar experience here. I went from a Lite + DPS to the MPX3 Slam with Blackgates and a stepped attenuator and the difference is surprising. The Lite was a great amp, but it just doesn't have that life-like sound that the Singlepower offers up in spades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back