Welborne Laurel IIX 300B SET amps on sale!
Oct 13, 2002 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aeberbach

Headphoneus Supremus
Yeah I'm a bore about these but they are one of the very best ways to power your AKG K1000s. The basic kit for a pair is going for $1550, including TJ mesh plate 300Bs - I think they are easily as good as the Western Electric tubes and maybe better. This kit is a bargain but you have to build it very carefully - it took me a few days of testing, poking and prodding to make it right. (The custom transformers I have mentioned are not necessary for the K1000s.)

http://welbornelabs.com/laurel.htm

I'm very curious to see what is coming next.

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 6
you like the sophia's aeberbach?
me too. using em on my cary. The w.e.'s are good but lack the oomph and upper freq rez of the sophia's. I save the w.e.'s for when im goning to listen to the worst of my recordings, which really arent worth putting in just to listen to a few cd's.

k.s.

Oct 14, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 6
Great tubes. All they are missing is the cherry box :) Compared to the WE tubes they are bigger in every respect, from the sound to the physical weight to the pins.

Oct 15, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 6
definately. more oomph and gain all around.
great 300b's.
Hell of a lot more reliable too. Ive had to replace one of my w.e.'s and im going to have to replace the other. its really rediculous.

k.s.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 6
I think I'll eBay the WE, there's just no need to keep them. And if you say they are unreliable, it's a risk I don't want to carry. Better off with two more sets of TJs as the price will have to increase once word gets back to the makers that they have the reputation.

Oct 16, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 6
$1550 for a pair of Welborne Laurels with the TJ Meshplates is a good deal. If I didn't already have a pair of Bottlehead Paraglows, I'd buy a pair and add the ultimate upgrade kit.

Ron's gear is of supreme quality!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back