1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Weirdest IEM problem ever - static electricity??

1. moleface
    Ok, so -

I bought some Nuforce NE-6s a couple months ago for use with my Sansa Fuze. The first pair developed a serious short in the cord after a few weeks, so I returned them.

The second pair had a different problem out of the box - they made a continuous popping/crackling sound whenever the cord was moved. I read that the Sansa Fuze can have issues with certain headphones if their plugs insert too deeply into the jack, so I tried plugging the headphones in more shallowly and also tried an extension cable - they made the same crackling sound either way. I tried plugging three other pairs of headphones directly into the MP3 player and also into the same extension cable, but couldn't replicate the noise at all - so I returned the Nuforces for another exchange.

I'm on my THIRD pair - and these have the same problem! And after a few hours of frustrating experimentation, I've discovered a bizarre quirk - they only make the popping sound when the Fuze is in my shirt pocket. I can't replicate the distortion if I vigorously shake the Fuze or the cable, nor does it make any noise if I jump around with the player in my pants pocket. It also doesn't  make a difference whether they're directly plugged in to the MP3 player or plugged into the extension. If I lift my left arm or lean forward, there's that same crackling sound - even while plugged into the extension cable with the Nuforce cord held firmly in my hand! Other headphones plugged into the Fuze or extension didn't do this at all.

I took out my old Sansa Clip just now and found the exact same phenomenon.

Any ideas? I swear that I'm not imagining this. I'm assuming that the first pair also made this noise but I just never noticed. I only heard the popping on the second pair because I happened to be listening to spoken word at the time. These aren't subtle pops though - they're as obtrusive as surface noise from damaged vinyl.

I'm keeping the Nuforces - I'm just wondering what could possibly cause this sort of issue. Some sort of innate incompatibility with the sound circuitry shared by the two Sansa players? I'm at a total loss.

Edit - I just replicated the exact same effect with my PSP. It doesn't take any effort to produce the popping - all I have to do is put it in my shirt pocket and then move my arm slightly.

2. plasticookies
    Yea..it happens with certain iems. Probably crappy shielding around the cables since I've only had this happen with cheaper ones (pro alphas). My solution? Put my ipod into a pocket that doesn't get disturbed.

3. moleface
    The funny thing is, none of my other ultra-crappy headphones I have laying around have any issues like this - not even my $5 Kanen KM-92.

I guess I could eliminate this by recabling the Nuforces. I really like their sound - the only issue is the static electricity.