weird, unordinary, unique music recommedations?
Mar 28, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #61 of 103
One man's weirdness is another's mundane I guess, but I'll toss Cornelius into the hat. Fantasma is probably the most eclectic of his albums.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #65 of 103
Psychic TV - Kondole
or if you just want to hear some of the more "eclectic" Psychic TV, pre-electronic stuff, Allegory and Self. I was a big fan of the more ambient houe Psychic TV stuff I had heard, picked up Allegory and Self and was like
confused.gif

But it is interesting.

The same when I picked up Pop Will Eat Itself - Now For A Feast!
Not exactly the 92^F I was expecting.

May 8, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #66 of 103
I must credit the suggestion of Shpongle, great high-quality psytrance. For some high-quality analogue mixed music, there's also B(if)tek.

May 8, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #67 of 103
1070644.jpg

Mary Pastorius (Jaco Pastorius daughter) - From Then Until Almost Now

It's a compilatory album including a wide range of tunes, which are pretty unusual, very original, and enjoyable too. The CD is available at CD Connection but there aren't clips to listen. At CD Baby you can also find it. To listen to some clips visit her page at Myspace

Another uncommon music suggestion you might like is Medeski, Martin & Wood's "Farmer's Reserve", which is only sold at the concerts or their website. It's a long improvisation. You can listen to clips at Amulet Records
MWCD03.gif

This is their own comment about the album:

Farmer's Reserve
original release date 02/11/97
buy CD now

Farmer's Reserve was recorded by Medeski Martin & Wood at the famous "Shack" in Hawaii in 1996. The album consists of one continuous 40-minute improvisation followed by a 15-minute epilogue. The music is minimalist, and free form. A sonic MMW journey. Farmer's Reserve is no butt-shaker! Headphones are highly recommended. Available exclusively through mail order and at live shows.

If you liked the clips, you could get the CD here

Rgrds

May 8, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #68 of 103
my list of random awsome music, maybe a bit disco oriented:

Alain Goraguer - La planète sauvage
soundtrack to a 1973 french animated movie: psycedelic prog-funk, a hidden gem

bebu Silvetti - World without words
a fully orchestrated classic disco album; sounds like cruising along the italian countryside in a fiat 500

alec R. Costandinos - tears of gold
great epic orchestral disco concept album about an alien coming to earth to learn about love!!!! over the top disco cheese!

Arturo Stalteri - Andre Sulla Luna
italian psycedelic cosmic prog from 1979, the album that made me love prog and firmly placed in my top 5 list

azoto - disco fizz
amazing italian disco from 79/80; sounds like it culd have been made today, only better
biggrin.gif

black devil disco club - 28 after
followup to the great "disco club" album from 78; a must own album for fans of both disco and modern electronica.

giorgio moroder - from here to eternity
the album that made electronic dancemusic what it is today.

ralf nowy - lucifers dream
german cosmic krautrock "disco" from 1973; went straight into top 10 after first listen

Haruomi Hosono & Tadanori Yokoo - Cochin Moon
1978 experimental electronic album by keyboardist Shuka Nishihara, and future YMO bandmates Sakamoto and Hideki Matsutake

even though most of these albums are out of print, they can be found with a bit of googling
wink.gif
something i highly recomend

May 8, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #69 of 103
Give the Captain Beefheart some time. He really grows on people, and he's often cited as one of the most important rock musicians of all time.

The Residents is another good suggestion.

Check out Portishead for some really neat electronic/trip-hop/jazz fusion. The Japanese band Boredoms is one of the most important rock acts today, and they are probably the most "weird, unordinary, unique" rock group out there today. A must-hear. Definitely check out their newer albums like Super Roots 9, Vision Creation Newsun, etc. Check out Venetian Snares, Squarepusher, and The Flashbulb to hear some of the most innovative and catchy IDM (intelligent dance music) available. The Black Angels are a very cool psychedelic rock band from the south, named after an excellent Velvet Underground song. Boris and Earth are two Japanese drone rock/metal bands that attract not just metal-heads but also classical and jazz aficionados alike.

May 9, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #71 of 103
2477325086_3059c4889e.jpg

Chromeo - Fancy Footwork

It makes fun of itself, and is 80's retro, while simultaneously being an electro album; a damn good one.

It also doesnt have gobbs of clipping and high freq. distortion like Justice. Not that the two albums are that similar; this is less crazy, more straightforward.

May 9, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #72 of 103
Alamaailman Vasarat - Maahan
Fantomas - Director's Cut
Fantomas - Suspended Animation
Mr. Bungle - California
Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History

Even though they are heavier than Animal Collective, I would recommend all of these albums, especially Sleepytime's Of Natural History.

May 10, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #73 of 103
The Yoshida Brothers from Japan play the shamisen, the Japanese equivalent of the banjo. Their later/international albums are more of them incorporated into rock music, but their earlier Japanese albums are the best IMO, more traditional-sounding but very lively and enjoyable in their playing.

May 10, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #74 of 103
I'm sure you heard these comparisons but Person Pitch sounds like Brian Wilson went through a horrific accident and was brought back as a half man / half android creature powered by LSD and X. So take a look at Smile and Pet Sounds. Also maybe... Liars? I know this never ends well but maybe check Pitchfork...I can't remember if the CD is called Nouns or the band is called Nouns... Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back