Weird question..help!
Oct 27, 2008 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

powasky

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using iTunes (I know I know) and all of my music is stored on my external hard drive. It takes iTunes a few seconds to access my music every time I click on something. Is there any way to make this process faster?

It reminds me of how you can save information to iPod RAM when using rockbox so loading times are faster for menus and stuff. Is there a way to do that here?

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 12
Firewire...although my computer doesn't have the interface for the 6 pin Firewire, so I had to use an adaptor to neck it down to the 4 pin Firewire. Would I be better off just using USB?

Sidenote- Computer is a Dell XPS 1530, 2.6x2 processor, 4 gigs of ram.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 12
if that's you in your avatar I'll help, if it's not then you can just ignore this post
wink_face.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 12
I suggest you move/copy the music to your local disc, to eliminate lag over FireWire.

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 12
Any software to control the My Book? I might be a drive sleep issue as stated above and that might be an option.

I think the 4 pin fireware is slower so that "might" slow it a little.

Does your computer have eSata?

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by powasky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using iTunes (I know I know) and all of my music is stored on my external hard drive. It takes iTunes a few seconds to access my music every time I click on something. Is there any way to make this process faster?

It reminds me of how you can save information to iPod RAM when using rockbox so loading times are faster for menus and stuff. Is there a way to do that here?

Defrag your hard-disk and then turn-off all applications that you dont need, such as virus scanner, screen saver etc..

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 12
It came with cheap ass "backup" software, but that's it. I'm clearing my local drive now to see if I can transfer the music there. Thanks for the suggestions!

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 12
When you click... in exactly what?

I don't have iTunes, but it looks like some kind of playlist refreshing issue... as if iTunes is rechecking all the files to see if they still match the playlist entries or something...
Maybe there's some option on iTunes that can change this behavior.

Even for a slow hard drive it shouldn't take seconds to load a song... unless it's doing unnecessary work, like checking lots of files/information all the time, when it isn't really necessary...

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm having this exact same problem here. I've got a 'My Passport' from WD. The problem for several WD drives seems to be that they have a power-saving function. It can not be turned off which makes them a lot worse for music libraries. Especially when a song - which is supposed to be gap less - switches to the next one it's pretty awful.

I am trying to find a way around this right now. Any suggestions you guys might have to offer are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back