Weird new device makes speakers out of... anything?
Mar 20, 2002 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
If you think our bleeping, buzzing, cell phone and pager infested world is bad... you ain't seen nothin' yet:

Stick it on a flat surface and whammo... HUGE INSTANT SPEAKER.

What I find particularly disturbing is that this is being marketed to children as the next must-have toy. I imagine a horrific future where endless rows of windowpanes vibrate sheets of Britney Spears and Limp Bisquick to the delight of tasteless knuckleheads everywhere.

No. We must stop this. Headroom can start a headphone exchange program. Anti-vibration laws can be passed. Remember, only YOU can stop sonic violence!
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 26
Hey, thanks for the info, Nick! Sounds like it would be great for performance art or something...although I agree, one should probably specially licensed and/or zoned in order to use it in public -- which means just about anywhere...

Mar 20, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 26
That is probably one of the worst ways I've ever seen to reproduce sound. I wonder what is going to happen when that 'thing' matches the resonant frequency of the glass?

Mar 20, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 26
Considering first the fact that any glass window is pretty well damped, and second that most glass windows are thicker and stronger than your average "shatter the wine glass with sound" type of glass, I don't forsee that to be a problem. If you hooked it up to a REALLY good amp, though . . .

Where this would be most annoying is in cars, but I seriously doubt that laminated safety glass resonates well.

Got any linkage, btw?

Mar 20, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 26
Uh, no, it's just a .jpg...

Mar 20, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 26
Actually, it's kind of retro.

During the days of all-accoustic reproduction, the "high-end" transcription phonographs had glass soundbox diaphragms. They were easily breakable, but had much cleaner highs than the mica or treated rice paper that was more commonly used.

Mar 20, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 26
or smack one in the middle of your forehead. If it really produces the 400lbs of force they say it can, that could be bad for your health, especialy if you like techno......

Mar 20, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 26
just want to mention that the picture/link worked for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

So...how well do windows soundstage?
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 26
Isn't this the same stuff used to make inflatable bud speakers?
(I'm not joking. they were shown at this year's CES show in Vegas. I'll try to get a pic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back