Weird Eardrum "Crackling" (Sibilance??) Once in a While w/ Headphones
Sep 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

refault

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this topic is "off-topic" for this forum, but I couldn't find a more appropriate section to post it, so yeah...

Anyway, once in a while, especially in-ear monitors that don't go in too deep (like the Etymotic HF-2/3 series, but haven't had the issue with the ER4-S/P yet...) and even some regular over-the-head headphones (like Grados during certain periods), my left ear sometimes starts to "crackle" during heavy or intense passages, especially sort of in response to either deep bass or extended highs. It gets so bad that I have to take a break from listening for a little bit, and doesn't happen as often these days but still once in a while happens out of the blue.

Is this a type of "sibilance"? Is there something wrong with my ear or biology? Thanks for any responses in advanced!

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 3
  Sorry if this topic is "off-topic" for this forum, but I couldn't find a more appropriate section to post it, so yeah...

Anyway, once in a while, especially in-ear monitors that don't go in too deep (like the Etymotic HF-2/3 series, but haven't had the issue with the ER4-S/P yet...) and even some regular over-the-head headphones (like Grados during certain periods), my left ear sometimes starts to "crackle" during heavy or intense passages, especially sort of in response to either deep bass or extended highs. It gets so bad that I have to take a break from listening for a little bit, and doesn't happen as often these days but still once in a while happens out of the blue.

Is this a type of "sibilance"? Is there something wrong with my ear or biology? Thanks for any responses in advanced!

Are you EQ'ed, source/file info?, do you notice anything when not listening to headphones, have you tried lowering volume, and is there something wrong with your source possibly?

If it causes you pain it's good to stop immediately, instead of taking breaks to go back to it. Last thing I would ever want is to compromise one of my major senses and dull my enjoyment of life over headphones. Super paranoid about hearing damage all the time. I wear hearing protection on airplanes lol.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 3

Are you EQ'ed, source/file info?, do you notice anything when not listening to headphones, have you tried lowering volume, and is there something wrong with your source possibly?

If it causes you pain it's good to stop immediately, instead of taking breaks to go back to it. Last thing I would ever want is to compromise one of my major senses and dull my enjoyment of life over headphones. Super paranoid about hearing damage all the time. I wear hearing protection on airplanes lol.

No, don't have anything equalized. Only thing that's changed recently was a new cable IC mini-to-mini, but I don't suspect that would be the case. Lowering the volume or removing the headphones helps, yes.

I did some basic research on Google and found things like "Eustachian Tube Dysfunction" that sort of describe my situation kind of well I guess? A crackling/distortion/"blocked out sound" in my left ear drum, etc. Hm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back