Weight Lifters Fi
Apr 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 127

Makiah S

Sponsor: EarMen | HeadAmp
Member of the Trade: Bricasti Design
Formerly known as Mshenay
So how many of you guys like to w8 lift? I'm not professional [and I won't be too lazy for that] and I do Cardio in between my w8 lifting days BUT let's chat about the joyous process of Weight Lifting and Stregnth Trainin, please include pre workout supplements or routinies, recovery, techiniques, your diet if you have one, as well as what music you like to listen to.

For starters I'm a fan of the 30 min work out, I've recently started Doing my Bench Sets in between my other works outs, so I'll do my Abs and my first arm rep [Bench press] 2 more arm sets [Bench press] work my 2 sets for back and Shoulder ect... ect... so that's been exhausting and productive! I've got a small home gym, I have a 40lb bench bar and w8's from 2.5 up to 45, we have bar bells from 3 to 35lbs as well as a inclined Ab thingy xD it's shaped like this /_ except it's not that inclined [yet] and I bring my head up to my legs so it's like maybe 60 degree's over all motion.

I like to eat a bowl of Corn flakes 30 mins b4 I Start and I listen to usually Dub Step or Drum Step, I've have a modest PC system I hook up to my Zune with a nice enough Sub Woofer, which is nice cuz the feeling of a good Bass Drop has helped me through my increase days >.>

I use a protien shake as my recovery [can't remember the brand] and I take it immediately, I'm looking at getting some Cellucor C4 as a Pre Work Out Supplement, but if I do I'll have to start working out longer.

Finally please no nude or revealing pictures!

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 127
... I'm not ready to enter a weight lifting Forum yet plus -.- there are a number of Threads here that all have great sites dedicated to them, but our community imo is pretty mello. I enjoying discussing a number of things with Head-fi'ers that I don't usually enjoy talking about on the internet... because the web is full of trolls

Still though that's no fun that you tore something >.> I'd like to do more cardio myself though -.-

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 127
Ugh bodybuilding.com is a joke place riddled with fallacy information - or broscience. My lifting schedual goes in and out due to school, but now that it's all over, I can finally commit to it again.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 127

Quote:
Ugh bodybuilding.com is a joke place riddled with fallacy information - or broscience. My lifting schedual goes in and out due to school, but now that it's all over, I can finally commit to it again.

Yea I figured about that much my self when I read over a few subjects... not ready to deal with the people there... but I feel ya on school, I'm getting ready to go do my run it's 5:27 Pm after school and the LAST thing I want to do is run but... it's good to do so AWAY with me >.>

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 127
I have a gym in my home. When I clean it up I'll take some pics. 1,600sf of various cages, racks, benches. Have a Versaclimber and a Stairmaster 5000 "Gauntlet" (collapsing stair model). Wife wants an elliptical and a treadmill. 

As I entered my 40s I stopped the 4-day split and went to a whole body routine EOD or every third day, depending on recovery.

One set to failure (or near) with Oly bar:

Flat-bench press
Squats (ATG)
DLs (back thickness, traps)
Overhead press 
Bicep curl (heavy curl bar)
Palm-out pullups (in lieu of rows for back-width)

The one set to failure keeps recovery short and I feel I maintain nearly as well as doing "5x5s". When I hit 20-reps to failure I increase weight on lifts. I've been an avid lifter since entering the military. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 127
i been weight training since 17(24 now). all i do is heavy compound movements(benchpress,deadlifts,sqauts,military press,pull-ups,ect.). i don't like machines. i like using the iron. i don't like using belts or gloves either. i don't believe in that high rep none sense as well when it comes to weight training. you leave the endurance training with cardio.

i use to run a lot, like 8-10 miles a day but cut down a lot on that. i can still jog more then 3 miles easily but rater do high intensity running or just play basketball with friends instead. i barely even run much. just like once a week maybe.

i don't diet at all either. i eat what i can get and as much as i can while making sure i take plenty of rest. sometimes i just take 2 weeks off after 6 weeks of straight through routine to ensure proper rest cause your nervous system needs some rest as well from being overloaded. for supps, i just take pre workouts and vitamins. i tried all pre workouts from nano vapor, n.o xplode, black powder, neurocore, revage, c4 and jack3d. for post work-out i just rely on food. out all the pre workouts though i tend to like neurocore the most.

i workout at home and have plenty of weights around(about more then 1000lbs of plates and barbells and dumbbells). tried going to gym before but they don't carry heavy enough dumbbells and gyms around hate weight lifters as well, or anyone that lifts heavy cause they're afraid of you intimidating the customers and causing them to leave, which i find bunch of b/s.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 127
See I'm a fan of the High Rep thing, musclear endurance and cardio endurance are different, you'll notice that when you sped 4 hours lifting 60 lb trash bags out of their cans and hauling them 1/8 mile and then chucking them into a waste basket that's 6 feet above you... needless to say I went home from work that day with out any injuries or breaks where as some of the other muscle heads I work with couldn't stay with me...

So I enjoy endurance weight lifting and I'm currently trying to do more,  but I also enjoy just using iron as opposed to machines... machines break and iron doesn't!

In addition I do walk/run cardio sets on my off days I supplement it with 12-15rep push up sets after each  walk/run takes me about 45min to get through the whole thing, although the nature trail I ran at is full of hunters right now so I need to go else where for my runs >.>

Lastly I'd like to diet and I definatley want to start taking a Mens Sport multi vitamen in the morning, but sadly the one I got from Puritian Pride has shell fish in it... and I ave shell fish allergies so I'll need to w8 till I get some cash and hope GNC's sport multi is shell fish free -.-

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 127
I don't even know if I should get to post here, as I've bee abscent from the gym the last week and a half due to finals, but this semester I've been trying to get in shape, and for someone who's 145-150lbs and 6ft tall, means trying to put some muscle on my bones. It's been slow progress, but I've gotten to the point of being able to bench 135 (I won't embarass myself more by mentioning where I started, lets just say that a feathery weight of 135 was quite an improvement) and squat 200. I weigh 160 now, and plan on spending the summer doing mostly body weight stuff and cardio to trim off the 5lbs extra pounds of fat I've added with the muscle, and build my endurance, before getting back to school and starting the same thing over again.

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 127
*waits for email back from pretty lady friend* *see's inbox has one new message* OMG YAY *it's from head-fi* CRAP lol

But yea this is the place for posting that, that's good that your working your way up, it's always a good feeling to be able to improve! And I'm with you on the cardio, I still have some stubborn belly fat on my lower abs :[ so walk/run cardio + dieting will hopefully REMOVE THAT CRAP but every one here had to start some where and chances are they didn't start benching 150+ (there are exceptions and those exceptions please keep to your self xD)

Still hope things go well for ya!

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 127
See I'm a fan of the High Rep thing, musclear endurance and cardio endurance are different, you'll notice that when you sped 4 hours lifting 60 lb trash bags out of their cans and hauling them 1/8 mile and then chucking them into a waste basket that's 6 feet above you... needless to say I went home from work that day with out any injuries or breaks where as some of the other muscle heads I work with couldn't stay with me...

i use to do tons of lanscaping and constructing jobs so i know. 8-12 hours days of moving tree logs,bricks and heavy equipment. i did smaller part of it as well planting and crap but usually i got stuck doing the tougher part of it. i haven't done it in few years so it's been awhile. only type of muscle endurance training nowadays i do is the 10x10(ten reps, ten sets) of 75% your maximum and 1 minute rest between sets. i say my muscle endurance is still pretty good still since i still can pound out over 50 reps of 225 on my benchpress and can easily pass something like the nfl combine but i don't like sports so never bothered.

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 127
Very nice, 1 min rests and 10 set reps not bad, that's a good idea doing 75% ur max on 10x10. I do 12 rep sets and I do them every 2 sets, I usually have 20 second rests between my sets when I'm doing my arms, shoulders abs or legs. I'm enjoying doing my bench sets in between my 4x12's of everything else! I can do a lot more that way.

I've gotten up to about 4 reps max where as I used to only do 2. That of course is largely due to my tiny little home gym. Optimally I'd like to start my work out with a 5 min power walk, then into my first 12 rep set of Bench Press [at my max w8] then onto abs. I do my Abs in 20 reps I like to do 4 sets. 5 If I'm feeling good. I do 30 set reps if I'm in an really good mood, although that kind of mood requires the grace of a women in my life :3... and sadly such influence I currently lack

But max respect to you on that. 50 reps at 225 is pretty awesome and I'd rather use my strength and endurance for work than for sports...

I'll tell you what I really want, I used to know an older farmer. He was real southern like 98 when I met him... that dude was an animal! He worked on farms before they had a lot of these machines needless to say he was in shape from working all his life! I'd love to be able to do that, care for my own land and raise my own food, then cook it and sell it to people!

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 127
Free weights for me only. I use to do gym (mainly weight with supersets) yet to get back into it, but I like do more concentrated and isolation workouts such as core strength training etc....gets me motivated for things and its good for my body.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 127
Indeed, free weights I enjoy as well, I don't have any machines that work any more so thankfully I can enjoy free weights

although I got respect for you on the isolated work outs! I want to have "days" set aside for upper mid and lower body targetting but I haven't yet

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 127

Quote:
Indeed, free weights I enjoy as well, I don't have any machines that work any more so thankfully I can enjoy free weights

although I got respect for you on the isolated work outs! I want to have "days" set aside for upper mid and lower body targetting but I haven't yet

Yeah, I mean free weight machines are good as well and is very useful for those who don't know much about techniques used to workout different parts of their body without damaging there muscle or tendons, but when you know how to workout that muscle and the proper technique used it becomes highly concentrated on that muscle alone.

I use to regularly do core strength workouts and my lower ab's on a daily basis, but the pain in the butt thing about working my lower ab's is that its very hard to isolate it from the rest of your body, so there maybe 400 reps of crunches 50reps of 8 sets with 10 minute break in between, plenty of bird dogs, superman, touching toes, 5-7 minute planks gets my ab's burning like hell. But once you are able to do an upright plank for more then 3 minutes without breaking a sweat, you find situps redundant, and having so use to doing heaps of situps, it has somewhat stuffed up my lower back (use to have a 20kg weight plate held against my chest) so yeah. Great abs also attract alot of women :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back