Weighing my options (again)
Mar 16, 2006 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Posts
6,132
Likes
567
Location
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Alright, so I'm still debating my next source upgrade, I had pretty much decided on a Storm Digital D02 (or baby D02 depending on whether I feel my shelf can handle the over 20 lbs of the regular D02) to be paired up with my Headamp GS-1 but in the past couple of days I've been reading more about people using the balanced outputs of the Lavry DA10 and I've also been reading more about the benefits of recabled, balanced headphones which has brought the DA10 back into consideration.

I expect the D02 + GS-1 combo would give me a similar but improved sound over what I have now and because of the GS-1's versatility it would give me a very flexible system that can easily be used in my speaker system and give me some flexibility in that system as well.

The Lavry on the other hand seems like a nifty all-in-one solution that I expect will sound even better when considering usage with balanced RS-1's but there are a couple problems I see with going this route. First is quite a bit less flexibility because I would have to sell the GS-1 in order to afford the DA10. The DA10 can still be used as a preamp but if I use the balanced outputs for my headphones then I would have to look into some sort of switchbox idea if I wanted to use the DAC in my speaker system as well. The other problem I see, and maybe it's not really a problem, is it seems almost like an end of the road solution. By recabling the RS-1's I'm pretty much locked into balanced operation but considering most of my audio money would be sunk into that one piece of gear and my wife and I are on a very tight budget it's unlikely I would be able to save up enough for a seperate balanced amp anytime soon. This is where the D02 + GS-1 solution is again more flexible, I can change things up fairly simply by swapping things like cables and component upgrades themselves would be easier because I can sell the old component to help finance the new one whereas if I wanted to add on a seperate balanced amp to the Lavry I would have to start saving from scratch which would be a very daunting task for me to do at this point but then the Lavry on it's own does seem to offer a fairly reasonably priced (considering what other balanced systems seem to go for) way of getting into the balanced headphones game.

If I knew how much better the Lavry would sound, especially running balanced, it might make the decision easier but I don't so I'm left weighing pro's and con's on paper and asking advice from more experienced users. So have at it, any thoughts, advise, recommendations, etc. are appreciated.
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 9

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Posts
3,487
Likes
18
Its my understanding that running low ohm cans straight out of a source is not a good idea. If you got lavery you would want to run the rs-1 out of the headphone out.

Biggie.
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 9

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Posts
6,132
Likes
567
Location
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Its my understanding that running low ohm cans straight out of a source is not a good idea. If you got lavery you would want to run the rs-1 out of the headphone out.

Biggie.



I initially thought there was a problem with it as well but apparantly grandenigma1 has tried balanced RS-1's straight out of the Lavry with good success which is part of what got me rethinking things in the first place.

Do you have any more info on why it's not recommended?
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 9

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
10,244
Likes
16
I am surprised that balanced Grado's do well out of the the Lavry's XLR outputs, but GE has confirmed this. The outs on the Lavry are ideal for ~600ohm load, so with high end Senns or the K340's it is close enough... but you would think that the RS-1 would be too different. It is strange as the Grado's are current hungry and it is the headphone out on the Lavry and not the XLR outputs that has LOTS of current. The XLR's have a reasonable amount of current and a whole whack of voltage swing... which is ideal for high impedance headphones. Still, if it works who cares?
tongue.gif
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 9

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Posts
3,487
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I initially thought there was a problem with it as well but apparantly grandenigma1 has tried balanced RS-1's straight out of the Lavry with good success which is part of what got me rethinking things in the first place.

Do you have any more info on why it's not recommended?



Its like hooking your grados up straight to the back of any cd player. I haven't tried this myself but word on the street is that high ohm output of typical sources doesn't handle low ohm headphones well at all (sonically). At the very least it should sound quite different from the headphone out hehe.

Biggie.
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 9

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
10,244
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Its like hooking your grados up straight to the back of any cd player. I haven't tried this myself but word on the street is that high ohm output of typical sources doesn't handle low ohm headphones well at all (sonically).


Well, sort of... since the Lavry has a volume control and a pretty robust output circuit it is in effect a preamp as well as a DAC. Though you are right that it is meant to drive loads with much higher impedance than the Grados.

Off topic: Since it doesn't look like you will be able to make the national meet we should try to have another southern ontario meet sometime soon... maybe after everyone is done with school.
wink.gif
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 9

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Posts
3,487
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Well, sort of... since the Lavry has a volume control and a pretty robust output circuit it is in effect a preamp as well as a DAC. Though you are right that it is meant to drive loads with much higher impedance than the Grados.

Off topic: Since it doesn't look like you will be able to make the national meet we should try to have another southern ontario meet sometime soon... maybe after everyone is done with school.
wink.gif



Many cd players have volume controls (well my last 2 cd players have had digital ones).

You are invited to the mini-meet at my house if Aerius ever glues his amp together. Go-train pickups available upon request.
tongue.gif


Biggie.
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 9

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Posts
6,132
Likes
567
Location
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Well, in the long run I think I'm probably best off with the D02 + GS-1 and work from there but I'm just exploring this balanced option.

Any other people that are using balanced RS-1's or has tried balanced RS-1's straight out of the Lavry's XLR's?
 
Mar 16, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 9

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
10,244
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
You are invited to the mini-meet at my house if Aerius ever glues his amp together. Go-train pickups available upon request.


Cool, I just might take you up on that.
smily_headphones1.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top