Weather Report!
Sep 14, 2001 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wab

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone know of this awesome jazz/fusion band? It's jazz, it's funk, it's rock, it's ballads, it's beautiful, it's fierce, it's delicate, it's..
smily_headphones1.gif

The musicians are excellent (Joe Zawinul, Wayne Shorter etc.) but no one tries to take the leading role, it's just a really good band making music

And best of all, I just found a CD store that sell's Sony Mastersound editions of almost all of their albums (and a lot of Miles Davis too) for $10!

Sep 15, 2001 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 16
wab,

yes, weather report has lots of good stuff. Heavy Weather and I Sing the Body Electric are considered by many to represent the group at their zenith.

Jaco Pastorius is one bad ass dude. He kinda got booted out of Weather Report after he lost interest in the band's direction and showed up to one to many concerts completely pissed and doing the Pete Townsend thing by smashing guitars on stage. Didn't quite fit in with the Weather Report thang.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pastorius has done some absolutely mesmerizing work on a couple of Joni Mitchell's albums with Hejira being the most notable. He sounds like a magician on Mitchell's album with this mercurial fretless bass sound that is jaw droppingly beautiful.

Sep 15, 2001 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 16
I re-recommend the Sony remaster of Jaco's self-titled solo debut. Man the first cut on that is amazing.

I was about to mention 'Birdland', I'm sure everyone has heard that song, most probably just don't know it was Weather Report. BTW, The String Cheese Incident does a great cover of Birdland, and also of Brubek's 'Take Five' on their Carnival '99 Disc, which I also recommend to anyone who likes good live jazzy and experimental improv. String Cheese is similar to Phish though they are all acoustic and use a more diverse selection of instruments.

Sep 15, 2001 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 16
I have the following WR albums:
- Weather Report (the one from 1971) (Sony Mastersound)
- I Sing The Body Electric
- Heavy Weather
- Black Market
- Domino Theory (Sony Mastersound)

I think Black Market is my favorite right now, all tracks on it are simply beautiful.
I downloaded some mp3's from Jaco Pastorius' debut album and I really like it, I will probably pick it up today as well.

Sep 19, 2001 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 16
Jaco Pastorious is the best! I have a few Weather Report albums and I like their style pretty much.

Sep 25, 2001 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 16
i heard about weather report from my school band teacher. i had just recently gotten herbie hancock's headhunters and my teacher told me about weather report.

i was just wondering, if i like hancock, will i like weather report? cuz i haven't heard them yet...and i'm thinkin of picking up some cds soon.

Sep 25, 2001 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 16
Chewmanji, I like both Weather Report and HH/Headhunters, but I can't say if you'll like both too. Headhunters does lean to the fusion side of jazz as does Weather Report and they both are heavy on the synthesizers but that's where the similarities end.

Herbie is a madman behind the synthesizer, which completely dominates his music, whereas Zawinul shares the stage more with the other musicians.

On second thought, I think that you'll like Weather Report. Try Black Market.

Sep 25, 2001 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 16
I'm a bass player (or would like to be if I could get any time to practice at the moment) and one of the things that interests me about players like Jaco is how much I admire them, but how little I want to be like them. False harmonics, upper register runs and everything (the stuff Jaco is known and worshipped for) really just aren't me. I'd rather just hold down the bottom end and create a great groove, even if it's only using one note. Now having said that, Jaco was an absolute monster groove machine as well! (some guys get all the breaks!)

Just my thoughts

Hamsta

PS - Nice avatar wab
wink.gif
I wonder how many people know who they actually are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back