Wearing Comply tips in reverse
Jan 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

skamp

Aka: HeadFiend, BatFi
I recently got the Shure SE425 IEMs and I've been trying out every pair of tips that were included in the package, to see which would give me the best seal and the best comfort. I like the yellow foam tips a lot, but they're too small, so I ordered S-100 foam tips (all sizes) from Comply's website.

In the meantime, I've been using the black foam tips (see picture below - I don't know if they're from Comply, but they're similar in form to the "Isolation" T-100 Comply tips). They're nice but because of their shape (larger at the base, narrower at the tip), I feel like the medium size is a tad too small, and the large size feels like it's slowly coming out of my ear canal, which causes some discomfort.

So I've had this idea of wearing the tips in reverse, i.e. with the narrower tip against the IEM and the larger base inside the ear canal. I've been wearing them that way only for half an hour but I feel like the seal is better, and I don't get the impression that they're slowly coming out. I find that configuration to be reasonably comfortable so far, but I reserve my judgement for later, when I've worn them that way for a whole day.

I'd just like to know if there's any reason I shouldn't do it? Could it mess with the original shape of the tips, or otherwise damage them?

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 5
These appear to be our Professional P-series of tip, which have a longer and more tapered design compared to our other series of tips. 

My concern with wearing the tips in reverse is that core is not properly engaged with the sound port.  You might run the risk of having the tip fall out in your ear and that would not be a good time.

Regards,

Mary

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 5
These appear to be our Professional P-series of tip, which have a longer and more tapered design compared to our other series of tips.

Apparently, they were not. I did end up ordering the P-series (mixed size bundle) and as it turns out, they're pretty much perfect: easy insertion, perfect seal and great isolation, with no degradation of sound quality.

They were recommended to me by someone at Comply, after I complained that the Active S-series tips were much too small, even the large size ones. They spontaneously offered me 15% off on my order.

I have to say, I'm very satisfied with Comply's customer service.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 5
I have the Hifiman RE-262s and have been trying every tip they included. The only tip that gives me the fit and sound from these are the large black tips. The only problem is after an hour or so they become uncomfortabe. I've been thinking of getting the Comply TS-400 tips for these. Has anyone tryed these on the Hifiman headphones? I'm mostly concerned about comfort and what effect these would have on the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back