Wearing both noise cancelling headphone and noise isolating earphone to achieve best noise isolation+cancellation
Aug 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

joseph2625

New Head-Fier
Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of wearing both Bose QC15 and SE530 for a upcoming flight. SE530 would be connected to the sound source and i'd just cover my ears with QC15, with no sound source. Would this achieve the most ideal noise isolation+cancellation? :p

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 11
It would work.. though it would be way cheaper to just get good earmuffs on top of the iems. 

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 11
Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of wearing both Bose QC15 and SE530 for a upcoming flight. SE530 would be connected to the sound source and i'd just cover my ears with QC15, with no sound source. Would this achieve the most ideal noise isolation+cancellation? :p

I've done this with my RE0 and Shure 840 with the 840 disconnected. Works like a champ.

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 11
I haven't done this with IEMs, but do something similar when I go shooting.

I use foam earplugs and wear a big, passive headset, too. Works great!

Next time I fly, I'll bring both the IEMs and the headset. Seems like a good idea.

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm actually thinking of getting a pair of QC15 just for this purpose as well.  IEMs still don't block enough sound to my satisfaction on an airplane.  I'm hoping the combination of the two is complete silence.

If anyone has tried it, please mention how well it works.  I'm a bit disappointed that my IEMs still don't seem to come close to blocking sound as well as earplugs despite the db isolation they advertise.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 11
I remember reading somewhere on the forums here of one guy getting really good isolation by smearing the inside of his ear with vaseline before putting in his customs.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 11
I remember reading somewhere on the forums here of one guy getting really good isolation by smearing the inside of his ear with vaseline before putting in his customs.

I've actually used Vaseline on the tips themselves with good results. Unfortunately it's not that convenient when you're out and about.

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 11
Used QC15+SE530. it was simply AMAZING :p i bought QC15 just to do this and it was worth every penny. It really was the best combination because any noise that doesn't get filtered out by QC15 would be filtered out by SE530 and vice versa.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Used QC15+SE530. it was simply AMAZING :p i bought QC15 just to do this and it was worth every penny. It really was the best combination because any noise that doesn't get filtered out by QC15 would be filtered out by SE530 and vice versa.

This is one combination I'd be hoping to use.  Is this complete silence on the plane when no music is playing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back