Weak point in my system?
Nov 3, 2002 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ebonyks

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry to post this here, but i really wasn't sure exactly where to put it. Right now, i just finished putting together a rather expensive system ('bout a grand) and there's IMO, still something missing that i can't quite put my finger on... Anyway, if you guys could help me, i'd like to find out what the weak point in my system is, although i suspect that it's my PC soundcard. My current rig in order

Turtle beach santa cruz (digital out)
Bettercables silver serpant digital coax
Art DI/O (With upgraded stancor PSU)
Outlaw interrconnects
Melos SH1-a with JJ tesla tubes ('bout a year old, probably need a rolling soon)
120 ohm adaptor
Beyerdyamic 931's, with foam inserts removed.

Right now, i'm obiviously suspecting that the weak point in my system is my source. As for qualitys, i'm looking for neutrality, and a revealing nature.

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 7
that's not a bad system at all.you are correct in identifying your souce as the weakest link.a dedicated Digital (or analog
wink.gif
)source would do that system justice.The next best thing would be to chuck that interconnect.I have really tried to find the magic with the Outlaws and have been unable to do so.I think that cable robs detail at the frequency extremes and allows artificial and unnatural inflation of the midrange.I have yet to find a place in my system where this cable works really well.It just kills tube sonics.I changed my mind,change the interconnect first.

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 7
What interconnects do you reccomend? So far, the neutral referances look to be what i want, but any other reccomendations are gladly accecpted

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 7
It seems like you really do need a stand-alone source.

I'm not sure if you will be able to discern the minute differences between cables at this point since I know I have alot of trouble doing so. I have sets from Tara labs, MIT and Outlaws, nothing really special or expensive.

So my suggestion would be to save up for a decent transport. Heck, get something nice, like that Philips DVD 963SA tuberoller mentioned in another post. You have gone too far to skimp out on a good source. It's way too late for you to back out now!
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Can you give me a link to that DVD player? And does it play divx?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

The next best thing would be to chuck that interconnect.I have really tried to find the magic with the Outlaws and have been unable to do so.

Do you have a favorite interconnect around $100 or less?

I've been thinking about auditioning some others to compare with my Outlaws; do you know of any that you think sound better than the Outlaws. Around here a lot of people seem to really like the Outlaws, and I have nothing to compare them to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back