We should be thankful for Beats.
Dec 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

alexm23

100+ Head-Fier
I think that the massive marketing operation behind, and resulting mainstream popularization of Beats headphones does the audiophile community a great service, although on the surface it is a major annoyance. This is because they brought to the general population's mind the need for better quality sound than they can get with stock earbuds.

If you don't have short-term memory (or are really young), you would remember that wearing the stock Apple white earbuds used to be a fashion statement, akin to what wearing Beats are today. Back then, for most people the stock earbuds were "good enough". Now that Beats headphones are popular, people realize that they could benefit from doing research and look for better sound than the stock earbuds provide. Basically, they now know that significantly better sound is out there for them to have.
While some just buy Beats (or other "fashion" headphones) and leave it at that, this actually leads many people to start looking at other options like Head-Fi favorites Shure, Audio-Technica, Ultimate Ears, Etymotic, Westone, Klipsch, etc.

TL;DR Beats are good because they make average consumers think about buying better headphones than the stock apple buds, and then they may end up buying good headphones other than Beats, instead of nothing

Thoughts?

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 39
Ehhhh kinda.

I feel like Beats are still a fashion statement, albeit a much more expensive one. If one is willing to buy $180 headphones that frankly don't sound great, there must be some purpose other than the listening experience. 

Of course, Beats are step up from stock earbuds, but I don't think buyers fully recognize the alternatives. They know of beats because they are heavily advertised, produced with Dr. Dre., and they see their friends sporting a pair. There are better headphones for the price, but they don't know of them, and probably aren't going to go searching for them either. If you spout the names "Audio Technica" and "Beyerdynamic" at Beats consumers, their interests aren't likely to be perked.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 39
The Beats fad has nothing to do with wanting better sound quality. People who buy Beats don't buy them because they sound good, otherwise they would be buying different headphones. Jewellery is jewellery, Beats just happen to sound better than stock iBuds.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 39
It makes my eyes roll all the time. The worst is some kid at best buy trying to sell me a pair of beats and educate me on headphones. I suprise them when I tell them that I own a pair of headphones that cost $3k and don't need beats or bose.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 39
This is actually a true story for me. I started with the Apple iBuds, wanted to go onto Beats for an upgrade (in both sound and the trend), but before making the purchase, I looked at reviews, searched around and found this site. Before, I didn't really think different headphones made too much of a difference in sound, as that's what my mom taught me because she likes to save her pennies. :p

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 39

Quote:
This is actually a true story for me. I started with the Apple iBuds, wanted to go onto Beats for an upgrade (in both sound and the trend), but before making the purchase, I looked at reviews, searched around and found this site. Before, I didn't really think different headphones made too much of a difference in sound, as that's what my mom taught me because she likes to save her pennies. :p

Tat's not how I got into it, but that's exactly what my friend did. He's a penny pincher when it comes to stuff, and he read multiple reviews here before forgetting the Beats and moving onto farther and better universes.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 39

Quote:

This

It's just now that i look back i wish i just went with beats. Would have saved me lots of money.

I was at best buy today and i could try the beats pros with my iphone. So i did with my music. Goddammit now i want them. They were not harsh and they were very fun to listen to. I fail to hear them being muddy and i can not believe people to have the nerve here saying they are not worth more then $150-$200. Um my sennheiser hd 25 1 ii adidas were usually $300 and they sound quite bad in comparison. Keep in mind the hd 25 is my favorite headphone.

I honestly fail to see how someone could say they sound bad. They are 5 times better then the m50s.
Rant over.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 39

Quote:
This

It's just now that i look back i wish i just went with beats. Would have saved me lots of money.

I was at best buy today and i could try the beats pros with my iphone. So i did with my music. Goddammit now i want them. They were not harsh and they were very fun to listen to. I fail to hear them being muddy and i can not believe people to have the nerve here saying they are not worth more then $150-$200. Um my sennheiser hd 25 1 ii adidas were usually $300 and they sound quite bad in comparison. Keep in mind the hd 25 is my favorite headphone.

I honestly fail to see how someone could say they sound bad. They are 5 times better then the m50s.
Rant over.

Isn't it funny how that works? Oh hey, this looks cool, then you go off on a long adventure, and when you return, your a completely different person, or in Head-Fi's case: You get sucked in after reading a review about how Beats suck, you find Head-Fi, become addicted, spend thousands of dollars on amps, DAC's and what have you, and become a huge audio geek and one of your main hobbies is audio.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 39

Quote:
Isn't it funny how that works? Oh hey, this looks cool, then you go off on a long adventure, and when you return, your a completely different person, or in Head-Fi's case: You get sucked in after reading a review about how Beats suck, you find Head-Fi, become addicted, spend thousands of dollars on amps, DAC's and what have you, and become a huge audio geek and one of your main hobbies is audio.

Story of the last year for me.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 39

Quote:
This

Rant over.

What genres do you listen to?

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 39
Dec 4, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 39

Quote:
Story of the last year for me.

Yeah, I'm 16. It's funny actually. For my birthday I got a Schiit Valhalla and a HD650. Since I review things though, I don't have to spend gobs of money. And...well...I can't. I'm 16.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 39

Quote:
The Beats fad has nothing to do with wanting better sound quality. People who buy Beats don't buy them because they sound good, otherwise they would be buying different headphones. Jewellery is jewellery, Beats just happen to sound better than stock iBuds.

I was talking with a guy listening to the beats at best buy today. I told him you could get better. He said "i know but this is what everyone else wants".

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 39

Quote:
I was pretty sure everyone knew i was a metalhead by now.

I listen to l classical. All my friends listen to Of Mice And Men, Job for a Cowboy, etc.

Can't stand metal or death core (is that even a genre?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back