wax for woodies and other maintenance
Jul 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #31 of 33
Just so your no longer confused, if you see color then there is no clear coat. But even when you wax a car with a clear coat you are removing a fine layer. You cant see it how ever because its CLEAR. If you wax and polish too much and erode the clear coat then your paint will no longer have UV protection. Who ever told you that waxing doesnt remove anything from the car was playing an even bigger joke on you. If nothing comes off then why does the paint shine more after waxing. Just incase you forgot, when you wax a car you REMOVE the wax after applying it. Leaving a shine on the paint, clear or other wise. One last time, clear coat is paint.

FAQ from Wax Depot

Now back to the thread, why mess with the clear coat on headphones, they live indoors and are not exposed to the elements. I cant believe this thread, Moderators please blast this thread.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so your no longer confused, if you see color then there is no clear coat. But even when you wax a car with a clear coat you are removing a fine layer. You cant see it how ever because its CLEAR. If you wax and polish too much and erode the clear coat then your paint will no longer have UV protection. Who ever told you that waxing doesnt remove anything from the car was playing an even bigger joke on you. If nothing comes off then why does the paint shine more after waxing. Just incase you forgot, when you wax a car you REMOVE the wax after applying it. Leaving a shine on the paint, clear or other wise. One last time, clear coat is paint.

FAQ from Wax Depot

Now back to the thread, why mess with the clear coat on headphones, they live indoors and are not exposed to the elements. I cant believe this thread, Moderators please blast this thread.

You confusing polishes and waxes. The wax alone cannot possibly remove anything as it dries after application and creates a protective layer on the top of the paint. It's not abrasive by definition. Now the prep process that uses paint cleaner, polish, or some other catchy name product, does indeed remove thin layer of paint along with oxidation, water spots, tiny scratches and swirls. So in the end waxing process as a whole does remove some paint, but applying wax alone does not. Hope that clears up your confusion.
Cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

FAQ from Wax Depot

One last response then I'll let the thread go back to the original course.

You do not remove any clear coat when waxing a car. When you "remove" the eax after applying it, you're only removing the excess wax or polish that didn't bond to the paint. The reason the car is shinier after polishing or waxing is because you're filling in microscopie scratches and dings in the clear coat with wax or polish, and slightly smoothing the edges of those scratches and dings down, so they become virtually invisible.

Like I said, I polished and waxed my car every weekend for two years, and when I had the clearcoat depth checked with a micrometer (yes, professionals do that), it was within normal tolerances. No clear had been removed, even though I did 2-3 layers of synthetic polish and 2-3 layers of syn-organic blend wax on top of that.

Are you basing your argument on anything other than a google'd website and intuition, or is it from experience? Like I said, I've detailed quite a few cars quite a few times, and I have NEVER, even on cars that got the same treatment as often as my car did, EVER "waxed" through the clear into the paint. It's because waxing doesn't remove a coat of clear - unless you're using a polishing compound, which is a completely different issue that's been discussed here.

/discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back