WAV to MP3?
Jun 27, 2008 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Waspinators

New Head-Fier
As pretty much everyone knows, encoding an MP3 to an MP3 will cause a noticeable drop in quality. Now, I've been renting CDs from my library and ripping them to my computer in MP3 format (with EAC/LAME) and keeping WAV files in data CDs. Say I decide to convert one of the WAV files to MP3, will there be any noticeable loss, or will it be exactly like ripping from a CD?

Also, burning MP3s to a CD and then ripping the CD to MP3 files will have a huge SQ loss, correct?

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waspinators /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As pretty much everyone knows, encoding an MP3 to an MP3 will cause a noticeable drop in quality. Now, I've been renting CDs from my library and ripping them to my computer in MP3 format (with EAC/LAME) and keeping WAV files in data CDs. Say I decide to convert one of the WAV files to MP3, will there be any noticeable loss, or will it be exactly like ripping from a CD?

Also, burning MP3s to a CD and then ripping the CD to MP3 files will have a huge SQ loss, correct?

Say I decide to convert one of the WAV files to MP3, will there be any noticeable loss, or will it be exactly like ripping from a CD?~ Same as the CD

Big no-no on the second question.(actually you answered that in your first sentence)

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 7
They will (or at least should) be exactly as if you ripped from the CD and encoded directly to MP3.
Burning MP3s to a CD and then ripping the CD to MP3 files is a big no-no. Just as bad as transcoding MP3 to MP3..

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Try and hear for yourself.

I need mp3->wav->mp3 when recording a speech on a DAP, then processing it on a PC, encoding to low quality mp3 and posting it on teh intartubes.

Btw there is no difference between CD->mp3 and wav->mp3 because in fact when ripping a CD it is actually saved to wav first, then encoded to mp3. If you use a good ripper (EAC), you should get an accurate wav from your CDs

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waspinators /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, I've been renting CDs from my library and ripping them to my computer in MP3 format

Renting? You mean instead of borrowing, your library charges you, which then makes it OK to make copies (wink wink)?

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 7
Regarding the second point - you won't degrade your MP3's (any further) by putting them on to a CD. Just don't transcode them again to a lossy format, just copy 'as is' to a suitable MP3 device or music library. Most of the original wav file inofrmation is lost by this stage, but you don't need to lose any more.

I realise I may have missed the point somewhere along the line though...

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Renting? You mean instead of borrowing, your library charges you, which then makes it OK to make copies (wink wink)?

Right, right of course!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the responses everyone, I figured the quality loss regarding the second question was obvious, but I'm glad to know that I can just keep wavs in case I want to re-encode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back