WAV Sounds The Best (To Me)
May 27, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #196 of 305
biggie's back! So let me get this straight because you're making some bold statements there....I just don't see what memory has to do with it. Or you are misunderstanding my position. I'm not suggesting anyone can hold a memory for long term. I agree it's only a few seconds.....What I'm talking about is just 'living' with two different players over the course of months and ending up to see if you prefer one over the other...it has nothing to do with short term memory. I want to be clear and have a discussion so if this is clear we can proceed. We agree short term audio memory sucks

just to be clear again, one has FLAC and one has WAV, same tunes though.....and the listener does not know which is which....I don't see why this is not a valid experiement?

May 27, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #197 of 305
Should we all listen to 3-5 second bursts of noise to test all audio. I mean listen to the whole range of headphones in a shop for 3 seconds each and then conclude 'that's the one for me-take my money sir'

Life's decisions now made way. The same technique could be use for cars etc. The 3 sec test drive. Even blind dates.

May 27, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #198 of 305
I agree with you, I want to live with her for awhile and see what kind of irritating tendencies she may or may not have! it takes time for peoples' poor qualities to show! same for audio gear sometimes...good point godbluff!

May 27, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #199 of 305
Should we all listen to 3-5 second bursts of noise to test all audio.

Nope, we should rack up the same recording of music on two different players and run their output into a line level matched direct A/B switcher so we can compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

May 27, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #200 of 305
I agree with you, I want to live with her for awhile and see what kind of irritating tendencies she may or may not have! it takes time for peoples' poor qualities to show! same for audio gear sometimes...good point godbluff!

Thanks things are getting just a little one sided aren't they. These round earth fanatics are cropping up on every thread now with their preaching.

May 27, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #201 of 305
@biggie....nah, I think that's way retentive man. You need to just use the player as you would normally, all kinds of volumes, times of day, places etc....remember in this experiement you would be doing the same/similar things with both players so it all evens out and does not become a variable

@godbluff, I hear ya loud and clear

May 27, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #202 of 305
good one, god!

May 27, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #203 of 305
  because I told you it's impossible to document......I added to the last post so check it out and let me know......and even I understand that they are not only being converted to analog, be decompressed first in the case of flac. that is the possible area of difference. Otherwise, we agree they are identical. the question is, is that one difference meaningful or not? you and others are convince it's not, and you may be right, but are you 100% certain the unpacking is of no significance....I can't proove it either as i am technically illiterate, and the only way i could prove my subjective experience is over time, months of listening to blind flac and WAV. i've done this experiement, just can't reproduce it for you to 'see' and again, I may be delusional i admitted as much

If lossless compression didn't work there would be a lot of problems in the IT world. Ever used a zip or rar file?

May 27, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #204 of 305
  I disagree but it's all good... I feel long sessions is the only way to go. I just don't feel short sessions are meaningful. I do agree it's hard to eliminate all the variables but we can try and do our best. What do you think about any of those links or comments from that other forum? anything of value there? I can't get biggie to come back and contribute and I need your guys knowledge since they do some tech talk. Seems like some good stuff to discuss no?

I'm rereading your post since there' alot of info there......I'll get back if I can pick up on anything to discuss. ....but in the meantime, any feelings on those links? are those guys off base?

just to be clear, when i did my 'testing' i was using two sansa players . the same kind same model etc. just diff color. I agree the color could be a problem but you think they have different processing methods or speeds? I'm not quite following that idea but I guess it's possible, I don't know anything about it or how it works, I just assume two sansa DAPs are the same....,maybe not

I didn't answer because the first link gives me nothing, and the 2 others... well I am familiar with micheal lavorgna and cookie marenco and others, what they have in common is that they try to bury blind testing deep down while pretending like they have anything better. my personal opinion is that his blog is a useless waste of time. and I'll let someone much better than myself to explain why I have that opinion of anybody trying to kill blind testing:
http://seanolive.blogspot.fr/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html
and that also explains why I'm so adamant in general against headfi's TOS against talking blind testing outside of sound science.

about the sansa DAPs, it was just one possibility, I do not think that 2 sansas of the same model will sound much different(in fact in my experience, even telling apart a clip from a clip+ from a zip was not an easy job at all and I ended up getting only clip+ because they are cheaper and smaller. only the buzzing noise from the buffering would give away some models or if they had rockbox or not. but until it's verified, a possible difference shouldn't be dismissed. that's the problem with trying to do things right, everything becomes so much more complicated ^_^.
it's just that 2 electronic devices will have some minor measurable differences from no component being strictly the same as the next one. so making the assumption that they sound the same,  while at the same time making the opposite assumption that 2 bit perfect formats are different. it doesn't stand right for me from a pure logic standpoint.
wink_face.gif

Should we all listen to 3-5 second bursts of noise to test all audio. I mean listen to the whole range of headphones in a shop for 3 seconds each and then conclude 'that's the one for me-take my money sir'

Life's decisions now made way. The same technique could be use for cars etc. The 3 sec test drive. Even blind dates.

we're obviously not saying that at all. you can go back and forth as much as you want and as long as you feel necessary to make sure you heard a difference. and anyway that is the best method to find out if there is an audible difference. nobody ever said it was the best way to pick a format. we try to tell if flac sounds different, well the best way to do that is short portions of music and rapid switching. it's just using the proper tool for the task.
if the question was something else we would use another more adapted method.

when trying headphones you're not trying to find out if there is a difference. you're trying to find out which one you prefer and that a very different question. for most headphones just with the FR we know for a fact and audibly so that they do sound different. so obviously a method testing if there is an audible difference would be a waste of time.

and your last sentence is a strawman argument mate. we're talking about how our brain deals with audio, not how we deal with car or blind dates.
wink_face.gif

May 27, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #205 of 305
  @biggie....nah, I think that's way retentive man. You need to just use the player as you would normally, all kinds of volumes, times of day, places etc....remember in this experiement you would be doing the same/similar things with both players so it all evens out and does not become a variable

More like creating endless extra variables to make your experiment even more crazy and worthless than it already was. You have to listen to the same samples (like parts of a song), at roughly the same time, at the same volume (or rather, SPL); otherwise, you cannot even begin to do a proper comparison because everything else is nothing more than casual listening, not a controlled objective test. The casual listening can be used to identify samples you perceive a difference with, but after that, you have to switch to a test under controlled conditions.

May 27, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #206 of 305
Pssst... I think he's gone now.

May 27, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #208 of 305
see the problem I got with you two is your lack of intellectual honesty, maturity, and overall consistency with regards to holding people to account for posting supposed misinformation. As proven by the total lack of such interest in holding maco to account for suggesting vinyl sounds different after each play... biggie properly suggested in his own personal experience, this was not true. He didn't go into attack mode with reinfocements behind him. This proper back n forth is what I'd expect to mine, and others posts of dubious value....For example, no one has even recognized the real phemonenon of cymatics and offered an explanation or interest. It's directly related to sound and a real thing, and phenomenal, and nothing but insults because it appears new agey and out of bounds. And in the real world, WAV behaves different than FLAC. Maybe in some idealized mental world it doesn't or shouldn;t, or if you are using 10,000 DAC it wouldn't but then I even posted some first hand accounts of guys who do use 10k DAC's and they agree with my findings using my $50 sansa. Again no intelligent thougtful response....

May 27, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #209 of 305
  see the problem I got with you two is your lack of intellectual honesty, maturity, and overall consistency with regards to holding people to account for posting supposed misinformation. As proven by the total lack of such interest in holding maco to account for suggesting vinyl sounds different after each play... biggie properly suggested in his own personal experience, this was not true. He didn't go into attack mode with reinfocements behind him. This proper back n forth is what I'd expect to mine, and others posts of dubious value....For example, no one has even recognized the real phemonenon of cymatics and offered an explanation or interest. It's directly related to sound and a real thing, and phenomenal, and nothing but insults because it appears new agey and out of bounds. And in the real world, WAV behaves different than FLAC. Maybe in some idealized mental world it doesn't or shouldn;t, or if you are using 10,000 DAC it wouldn't but then I even posted some first hand accounts of guys who do use 10k DAC's and they agree with my findings using my $50 sansa. Again no intelligent thougtful response....

Yeah, but that's coz he's messing with you. Only you reckoned he was actually serious. That being said, of course WAV behaves differently to FLAC. WAV is just the raw PCM, FLAC is compressed PCM. Decompressing FLAC, and you'll get an identical signal to WAV.

Oh, and what does cymatics have anything to do here? Stop trying to pick fights if you can't handle it. Oh, and for the last time:

Anecdotes are worthless as proof.

Stop posting them! They're pointless as proof. If you want to use it as proof, go elsewhere: they'd welcome you with open arms. That's not the case here.

May 27, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #210 of 305
behaves differently in terms of what it sounds like and we can agree. not behaves differently in a meaningless sense. keep to yourself your opinion of what others should post and where. Who said anectodes are proof. I said personal experience cannot be proven to others. It's clearly written in past posts. check it out. cymatics is physical phemenoa directly resulting from sound pal. sound science is the sub section. holy crap does 2+2 =4 in your world?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back