Watts Up...?
Jul 16, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #3,556 of 4,635
Yes you will be fine running XLR and phono RCA at the same time.

Just make sure the XLR input of the sub or amp does not short pins 1 and 3 together - that advice applies whenever you use the XLR

Just maked sure the XLR input of the sub or amp does not short pins 1 and 3 together - that advice applies whenever you use the XLRs.
I might be mistaken but when your speakers are difficult to drive/have an impedance under 5;ohms or so, RCA is preferable to using XLR?

Maybe I should refrase.

I would love to take my amp out of the equasion. My Dynaudio Heritage Specials are not the easiest to drive, but still it would be nice to hear what a direct connection to tt2 would do. I tried some Amazon XLR-to-speaker cables and well... I am glad my tt2 got repaired under warranty. So, would RCA work? Are there enough warranties to try this with RCA? I do not need high volume, but I do not want to be without the tt2 for two months again. I love it, so much better than the Hugo and TT1 I had before...

Jul 16, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #3,557 of 4,635

Just make sure the XLR input of the sub or amp does not short pins 1 and 3 together - that advice applies whenever you use the XLRs.
Thanks.

How about the subwoofer - should I be sending the RCA output from the TT2 to the line level input on the sub or to the speaker level input? Or does it not matter?

Jul 16, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #3,558 of 4,635
Thanks.

How about the subwoofer - should I be sending the RCA output from the TT2 to the line level input on the sub or to the speaker level input? Or does it not matter?
I use the line level. A sub requires some power, and I’d rather let the amplifier in the sub do the work than TT2. By ear is good to adjust the sub volume and I like your approach of trying to not notice the sub. You can also measure…here are to graphs of white noise with and without the sub (Elac 3030) and Omega SAMs and TT2 on 0 dB high gain. Look at the pink line.

With:

1658012241848.png

Without:

1658009627683.png

Attachments

• 1658009571000.png
    1658009571000.png
    229.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #3,559 of 4,635
I’d rather let the amplifier in the sub do the work than TT2.
That makes sense, it was Louis that said to me, he prefers speaker level input so I never did try the line level.
Can you explain your graphs a bit more?

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #3,560 of 4,635
I read that if you put a speaker level output into a line level input then you can damage the subwoofer circuitry.

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #3,561 of 4,635
That makes sense, it was Louis that said to me, he prefers speaker level input so I never did try the line level.
Can you explain your graphs a bit more?
They are just screen shots of the Decibel app at the listening position showing the frequency response from the speakers and sub. It’s a way to visualize what you are hearing when you adjust the sub. It might be helpful as you adjust to see if you have any bad nodes or other anomalies in your room.

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #3,562 of 4,635
I read that if you put a speaker level output into a line level input then you can damage the subwoofer circuitry.
I think you need to try it. The output is not to hot for my sub. You may find for the Omega sub the output is too hot. It also may sound better with an external amp driving the sub, but either way, you would need some way to attenuate what is coming from the RCAs if you need a different level of signal than is coming out of the XLRs.

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #3,563 of 4,635
I read that if you put a speaker level output into a line level input then you can damage the subwoofer circuitry
@Rob Watts , what would you recommend is safest to for the TT2, and possibly the sub, and what yields the best results? I know this is not your optimal setup…

Jul 18, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #3,564 of 4,635
@Rob Watts , what would you recommend is safest to for the TT2, and possibly the sub, and what yields the best results? I know this is not your optimal setup…
When I hook up the sub to the line level input, I need to have the volume on the sub at nearly zero. Whereas when I use the speaker level input, I need to put the sub volume at nearly maximum.

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #3,565 of 4,635
When I hook up the sub to the line level input, I need to have the volume on the sub at nearly zero. Whereas when I use the speaker level input, I need to put the sub volume at nearly maximum.
For the sub it does not matter if you use the XLR OP or the phono RCA output (assuming the sub accepts balanced and does not short pins 1 and 3). So go with the setup that works best for you.

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #3,566 of 4,635
Strange, when I feed it xlr to speaker level
Inputs, I can’t put the volume up more than 20% on the sub.

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #3,567 of 4,635
For the sub it does not matter if you use the XLR OP or the phono RCA output (assuming the sub accepts balanced and does not short pins 1 and 3). So go with the setup that works best for you.
Sorry, but I am talking about the input on the sub. Should it be line level input or speaker level input? I assume that using speaker level would strain the TT2 more. But using line level input may overload the sub since it is actually speaker level coming in.

I think I am not explaining this well.

Jul 19, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #3,568 of 4,635
Sorry, but I am talking about the input on the sub. Should it be line level input or speaker level input? I assume that using speaker level would strain the TT2 more. But using line level input may overload the sub since it is actually speaker level coming in.

Sub will take as much as it needs, imo you should use line in with sub, not speaker level inputs.

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #3,569 of 4,635

Yes I am confused as there is not a line level output - for TT2 you only have single ended that is volume adjusted from 0v to 9v RMS, or balanced on the XLR which doubles the single ended voltage giving you 0v to 18v. I have assumed you are driving efficient passive speakers directly from the single ended phono output? So you may feed the sub from either the phono, or from the XLR if you need more voltage to drive the sub in loudspeaker level mode.

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #3,570 of 4,635
I am using the RCA and XLR outputs from the TT2, which I assume are both speaker level outputs.

The XLR SE are driving the very efficient single driver speakers.

The RCAs are driving the subwoofer. That signal would be speaker level, and is going into either line level input in the sub, which has a preamp build in, or it can go into the speaker level input, which has some form of amplification, but the preamp is bypassed on the subwoofer itself.

When I use the line level input on the sub, volume level on the sub needs to be kept at just above zero since it is so loud. When I use the speaker level input, I have to keep it at around 80% volume on the subwoofer, since the volume is so low.

Am I correct in assuming that by using the speaker level input on the sub, the TT2 would be working harder, putting more strain on it and potentially increasing the risk of thermal clipping?

Which input to the sub you think would be safest for the TT2 firstly, and the sub secondly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back