Watts Up...?
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #2,626 of 4,608
@Rob Watts,
I use my HMS/TT2 combo in the bedroom for headphones only. My non-headphone unit (Bose) just stopped working, so I am wondering if I can use regular speakers with the TT2. They are old and relatively cheap. Really, my concern is can the TT2, or HMS for that matter, be damaged by the speakers? And if they are attached to the TT2, could they impact the sound from the headphones when listening to headphones only?

Also, what is ‘suitable cabling’ that is mentioned in the manual?

Thanks,

Fed

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #2,627 of 4,608
@Rob Watts,
I use my HMS/TT2 combo in the bedroom for headphones only. My non-headphone unit (Bose) just stopped working, so I am wondering if I can use regular speakers with the TT2. They are old and relatively cheap. Really, my concern is can the TT2, or HMS for that matter, be damaged by the speakers? And if they are attached to the TT2, could they impact the sound from the headphones when listening to headphones only?

Thanks,

Fed
What are the specs of the speakers? Likely they will be fine, unless they are very inefficient or very low impedance. The speaker outputs are turned off when headphones are plugged into the front, so there shouldn’t be a concern there, either.

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #2,628 of 4,608
@Rob Watts,

Thanks,

Fed
Jarnop answered perfectly for you.

As to suitable cabling, you just need to cable using the headphone outputs, or the RCA phono outputs with loudspeaker cable.

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #2,629 of 4,608
Jarnop answered perfectly for you.

As to suitable cabling, you just need to cable using the headphone outputs, or the RCA phono outputs with loudspeaker cable.
So are the RCA out and headphone out pretty well the same?

Can I use any cabling?

My speakers are 8ohm (Sony SS-L80). Could they damage the TT2?

I also have some old surround speakers which are better, 4ohm, Mordant Short MS302. They say the recommended Amp power rating is 15-80W. Could they damage the TT2?

Thanks again, and this should do it…

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #2,630 of 4,608
So are the RCA out and headphone out pretty well the same?

Can I use any cabling?

My speakers are 8ohm (Sony SS-L80). Could they damage the TT2?

I also have some old surround speakers which are better, 4ohm, Mordant Short MS302. They say the recommended Amp power rating is 15-80W. Could they damage the TT2?

Thanks again, and this should do it…
Neither speaker should damage TT2. You need a cable that will be RCA at one end and your speaker termination at the other, or a suitable adapter to go from TT2 to regular speaker cables.

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #2,634 of 4,608
Hi Rob
Can you recommend a way I can play an analogue source into a TT2?
Thanks for any help
Richard
Just play the analogue source into an amplifier? You know, like we used to do in the olden days or how some of us still do it.

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #2,636 of 4,608
Why would I when I have a pre amp in the TT2?
But thanks for the helpful reply
No, you dont have a preamp in the TT2, you have a dac with a variable volume output. It is a different thing. There is no preamp in the TT2. Converting an analogue source to digital just so you can out it through the TT2 does not make sense from a sound quality point of view although it might make sense from a convenience point of view.

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #2,637 of 4,608
..... with variable DIGITAL volume output!
just for clarity.

Come to think of it, Meridian audio used to make preamps with a digital output squarely for their range digital active speakers, back in 90‘s and naughties .
they had several analogue inputs as well as digital. output was SPDIFF for the speakers.
Perhaps a used one, could do the job.
Perhaps a streamer with analogue input, to stream to TT2
But it is waaay overkill to feed analogue to a DAC.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #2,638 of 4,608
Why would I when I have a pre amp in the TT2?
But thanks for the helpful reply
Ziggy,

I had asked myself the same question as I use the TT2 as a pre amp and would have liked to feed an analog signal to my main amp through the TT2 for convenience… the main power amp only has one input so I have to do a bit of disconnecting And reconnecting otherwise. An analogue input to the TT2’s amp section would have added some versatility and convenience… but hey, it’s pretty perfect as it is so no complaints from me - just hand me those cables please…

T

Aug 28, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #2,639 of 4,608
You could wait for Rob’s ADC to come out and connect it to the TT2

Aug 28, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #2,640 of 4,608
You could wait for Rob’s ADC to come out and connect it to the TT2
I’m happy to wait for a Dave 3… it might however break my heart to part with the TT2… na I’ll have both if I can, TT2 to go for headphones currently running from my Hugo 2 and loving it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back