Watts Up...?
Dec 3, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #2,041 of 4,536
Dec 3, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #2,043 of 4,536
Very nice. How often @Rob Watts you use Crossfeed? I find that most of time i dont use it. WHile on older recordings and some others i like red, and rarely green. Blue never. (on the first picture the seeting of hugo2 lets me guess you listenined that time old recording where stereo was very seperate and recording itself was slightly bright - jazz?) Also from my experience green/blue crossfed removes Mscaler effect to soundstage which surrounds you. Headphones same - Aeon flow closed. Just ordered Closed Aeon2 model by the way.
Do people ask what that is? Are they that sneaky to try it out?:) I believe there are some fun stories bringing this equipment all the time with you on the plane.
Rob has posted that he prefers the Max crossfeed setting: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-105#post-15337297

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #2,044 of 4,536
Dec 3, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2,045 of 4,536
Yeah you have to remember crossfeed is a personal preference and also dependent on the headphones. Same goes for the use of filters. Generally recommended to use HF off with mscaler and on without but I prefer on all the time with the Dave. I don’t like crossfeed at all for Focal Utopia’s. But I always give Rob’s preferences a try and see if I like it.

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #2,046 of 4,536
What is the color of the M Scaler in Rob's picture? At first I thought it was the silver model in different lighting, but it's too dark for that. Is it a special edition grey? I see something similar in the first picture here:

www.soundstageaustralia.com/index.php/reviews/255-chord-electronics-hugo-m-scaler-digital-upscaler
Hmm ,as a photographer my five cents take is that the photo has been made with an iPhone or similar toy without any colour correction or editing involved.
Hence all grey.
Cheers CC

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #2,047 of 4,536
So flying business class:

IMG_20180525_214912.jpg

Flying economy with Hugo 2, M scaler and battery in my man bag (good for 3 hours for thermal):

IMG_20180629_215609.jpg
with due respect an airplane is so noisy and people around you talking incessantly....when I fly i use IZEM that black up to 35DB and make the experience tolerable...what HP's do you use on an airplane that makes the effort woth the while....I do admire your love of music to go to such trouble

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #2,048 of 4,536
Very nice. How often @Rob Watts you use Crossfeed? I find that most of time i dont use it. WHile on older recordings and some others i like red, and rarely green. Blue never. (on the first picture the seeting of hugo2 lets me guess you listenined that time old recording where stereo was very seperate and recording itself was slightly bright - jazz?) Also from my experience green/blue crossfed removes Mscaler effect to soundstage which surrounds you. Headphones same - Aeon flow closed. Just ordered Closed Aeon2 model by the way.
Do people ask what that is? Are they that sneaky to try it out?:) I believe there are some fun stories bringing this equipment all the time with you on the plane.

In the past (hugo1) I only used cross-feed on annoying 60s recordings that panned hard left and right - ping-pong stereo. But with Hugo 2, I use it all the time, as the perception of depth is much improved with cross-feed on - I set it to max.

If it's a long flight the flight attendant often asks what that is - they assume it's pro gear - but no fun stories really.

Yes stack was important aspect. Thermal even more as bigger metal case helps in that.
Absolutely. Reducing all dimensions by just one third would more than double the temperature to unacceptable levels for users.

What is the color of the M Scaler in Rob's picture? At first I thought it was the silver model in different lighting, but it's too dark for that. Is it a special edition grey? I see something similar in the first picture here:

www.soundstageaustralia.com/index.php/reviews/255-chord-electronics-hugo-m-scaler-digital-upscaler

It's just my phone...it's standard silver unit, the first metalwork to be anodised.

Hmm ,as a photographer my five cents take is that the photo has been made with an iPhone or similar toy without any colour correction or editing involved.
Hence all grey.
Cheers CC

Absolutely, just a quick snap from a phone.

with due respect an airplane is so noisy and people around you talking incessantly....when I fly i use IZEM that black up to 35DB and make the experience tolerable...what HP's do you use on an airplane that makes the effort woth the while....I do admire your love of music to go to such trouble

If you fly on 787 Dreamliners, A350 or if you are really lucky an A380, noise with closed back HP is acceptably low. I book flights based on what aircraft are used!

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,049 of 4,536
Could always take the plunge and get a “Chord Force 1” and have a built in unit! :L3000:

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #2,051 of 4,536
that is a man who loves his music..as much as I live for my music and audiophile toys I cant imagine going to the trouble of transporting such equipment into an environment of such noise but that why rob is the expert and I am not I guess!

Dec 6, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #2,052 of 4,536
So im in doubt.. buying Mscaler before or after Brexit.. what will happen to pricing for people outside UK.. several scenarios to think of. But this Chord related Q. John should be the one answering this. My hopes for a Black friday promotion were vaporized.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #2,053 of 4,536
So im in doubt.. buying Mscaler before or after Brexit.. what will happen to pricing for people outside UK.. several scenarios to think of. But this Chord related Q. John should be the one answering this. My hopes for a Black friday promotion were vaporized.

I bought mine on Friday for this reason.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #2,054 of 4,536
I bought mine on Friday for this reason.

There was a promotion? I searched shops in Holland (where i live) germany and belgium.. also on Chord's site there were no mentionings

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #2,055 of 4,536
There was a promotion? I searched shops in Holland (where i live) germany and belgium.. also on Chord's site there were no mentionings

No, I didn't see any promotions posted. I asked my local Chord dealer what is the best price they could do given that I recently purchased the TT2 and had no plans for the M Scaler until next year. They came back with what I thought was a fair price, or to put it differently, a price that I think is lower than a better deal next year when custom fees will potentially inflate the price. They checked that the Belgian distributor has it in stock and I should have it next week.

Now that I think about it, maybe I would have had a better discount buying the TT2 and HMS together. But I didn't want to jump all in without first hearing the TT2 at home for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back