Watts Up...?
May 30, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #1,831 of 4,633
The newer Poweradd5 model has a capacity that cannot be taken on flights, so that is something to be aware of if you plan on traveling with it.

Oh thanks. I don’t plan using for mscaler while traveling but could come in handy for charging iPhones and iPad on the go.

I just bought one. Figure if it actually doesn't improve the sound quality I still end up with a great battery backup. And if it does improve, could always buy a 2nd unit that I keep charged ready to swap out. For little over $200 dollars much better deal than over $1100 for Wave Stream cables. Obviously the Wave cable more convenient but not $900 more.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #1,832 of 4,633
What’s the recommendations for a battery pack? I’ve scrolled back quite a few pages but see any solid suggestions.

I just put out a lot of money for a Danacable for my Utopia’s, so not willing to spend around same amount for bnc cables. If battery pack relatively cheap, I might give it a go.

Also my cable is currently lost in transit so not even sure I made a wise decision yet.

if you don't mind a messy solution, PM me!

May 31, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #1,835 of 4,633
The downside seems to be that it doesn't encode phase – or barely so. Also, looking at the height of the device, the ribbon has a certain length, which means an inhomogeneous vertical polar pattern. Don't you expect some tonal deficits from that?

I had spotted that - so plan to angle the mic stand so that each mic has exactly the same distance to the source. And of course it's fine when vertical if the mid point of the mic ribbons is at the same height as the instruments.

It won't encode phase, but amplitude encoding is much more important for realistic stereo. And if you use omni mics and space then you get frequency response comb filter effects too which won't happen with these ribbons.

Hi Rob,

We, audiophiles, paid great attentions to AC polarity to the convention power supply of the equipment.

However, when comes to switched type power supply, does the importancy of correct AC polarity to equipment still apply?

TIA

Theoretically, if it employs isolating transformers then it won't matter - if the RF is symmetrical rejection. But then if the gear has post PSU 100% effective RF filtering then that won't matter either... But we are in audiophile land, where minute and tiny differences do matter. So I can't give you a cut and dried answer!

May 31, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #1,836 of 4,633
Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #1,837 of 4,633
This is a biggie.

That applies to anything other than the included power supply. And can’t see it doing damage unless you set volts higher than 12v. And even Rob Watts uses one while traveling.

May 31, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #1,838 of 4,633
I've a poweradd too, and I preferred the stock. However, the messy was a big jump!

If I've the times, I'll revisit the poweradd with the messy.

Have you already posted your messy solution? Can you provide link to that post if you have? Otherwise, can to share?

May 31, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,839 of 4,633
I had spotted that - so plan to angle the mic stand so that each mic has exactly the same distance to the source. And of course it's fine when vertical if the mid point of the mic ribbons is at the same height as the instruments.
Of course it depends how much of the ambience you want to capture how accurately.

It won't encode phase, but amplitude encoding is much more important for realistic stereo. And if you use omni mics and space them you get frequency response comb filter effects too which won't happen with these ribbons.
How can there be comb-filter effects between stereo channels without crosstalk? It would implicate that our two ears are also affected by them (hence they would be perfectly natural). Where is my error of reasoning?

May 31, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #1,840 of 4,633
That applies to anything other than the included power supply. And can’t see it doing damage unless you set volts higher than 12v. And even Rob Watts uses one while traveling.

Yeah, I think he's also stated that Chord can tell even if it's not damaged so I'd probably shy away from anything other than the stock power supply.

May 31, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,841 of 4,633
Yeah, I think he's also stated that Chord can tell even if it's not damaged so I'd probably shy away from anything other than the stock power supply.

Funny is after I posted that I decided to cancel my order. In the end I didn’t want to mess with batteries. I like the idea of my home setup always ready to go and I’m already happy with the sound. Felt this was just part of going down that rabbit hole of upgrading everything. Think I’ll live with my setup for a while and if I get the itch perhaps Wave cables would be a purchase for next year.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #1,842 of 4,633
Of course it depends how much of the ambience you want to capture how accurately.

How can there be comb-filter effects between stereo channels without crosstalk? It would implicate that our two ears are also affected by them (hence they would be perfectly natural). Where is my error of reasoning?

I was thinking about reproducing through loudspeakers - that's where the crosstalk happens.

If you separate the mics by the average distance of the ears, then you need to worry about making sure the polar response is identical to the ear - which of course is impossible. Normally though the separation is actually larger than the ears. I actually plan to buy another set of condenser mics, and see which approach gives the best and most realistic sense of depth.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #1,843 of 4,633
I was thinking about reproducing through loudspeakers - that's where the crosstalk happens.

If you separate the mics by the average distance of the ears, then you need to worry about making sure the polar response is identical to the ear - which of course is impossible. Normally though the separation is actually larger than the ears. I actually plan to buy another set of condenser mics, and see which approach gives the best and most realistic sense of depth.
There’s an interesting paper here about the cues humans actually use for auditory distance perception:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4744263/

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #1,844 of 4,633
Theoretically, if it employs isolating transformers then it won't matter - if the RF is symmetrical rejection. But then if the gear has post PSU 100% effective RF filtering then that won't matter either... But we are in audiophile land, where minute and tiny differences do matter. So I can't give you a cut and dried answer!

Yeah boy!

There isn't any physical connection between the pri and sec in a isolated transformer. In fact, all E-type transformers are isolated trans, other than auto-trans.
This explains why noise levels were reduced after I step-up/down the AC.

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #1,845 of 4,633
Well done @DaveRedRef-III!

I initially planned to use a pair of capsule microphones - Earthworks QTC50 - these are very flat, and omnidirectional polar response - which means simple stereo would encode phase, but not amplitude - unless you used a Jecklin disk or a modified Schneider disk between the pairs, then the amplitude and phase is encoded.

But I was worried about capsule mics - they have built in amplification, and need phantom power. This then means a capacitor on the ADC side too; and all this extra electronics worried me.

The beauty of the AEA ribbon mic is it is passive - no added electronics, just a transformer. And it's a figure of 8 polar response, so at 90 degrees it has zero output - so we are encoding amplitude only with the Blumlein technique. The benefit of the AEA R88mk2 is that it's a stereo mic, so the ribbons are close together but at 90 degrees to one another, and they are matched pairs. I also have a general bias in favour of ribbons, so decided to give these a try first. The only downside is that they are not flat in frequency response, and you get a bass boost when close-miking; but you can tune the amount of ambience by positioning.

Having bought these, does this mean the ADC is close? No I am afraid not. My son needed a microphone for his project (he plays various guitars). That said, I am working on another ADC prototype now (need to redesign as a device is now unavailable), so I expect to be recording later this year or early next year.

Hmm I am a bit late to the party as usual.

For some reason I never get updated on new posts added on this thread.
I always have to search manually.

Anway as far as your pic and question goes easy! A mic of course, but not one I've ever seen at pro sessions.
But that it is a ribbon mic is obvious just from looking at it.

So what's your son using the pair with, considering the fact that Davina is still very late to the party or even out?
RME?
The one that does 32/768?

BIS employed RME ADCs and Neumann mics for some of their 24/96 classial master recordings in Singapore.
Promises of Davina test recordings have been rumoured here for years . But nothing has materialized yet, it seems?
Well quite honestly some very old old 16/44.1 early to mid 80s digital recordings from the same label recorded with the SONY PCM F-1 sound quite nice via my Qutest HMS combo.
So maybe we're just waiting for "the surface on the icing of the cake" here?
Or will your ADC really dramatically improve on everything else?
Cheers CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back