1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Watches

First

Back
1 2 3 4
6 7
Next

Last
  1. gerG Contributor
    Man am I relieved to hear that the fountain pen addiction is not unique to me. I use fountain pens at work, and have to explain it frequently (engineers don't typically use ink in the first place).

citroeniste, I have tried several inks, and the MB seems to flow the best for my pens. Sadly I do not own an actual MB fountain pen yet. Too busy buying other toys I guess.

I have one of the Rotring hexagonal fountain pens (don't remember the model). I love the fact that it will only let you put the cap on with the hexagons lined up. I can learn a lot about a persons personality by letting them borrow that pen and watching them replace the cap (or attempt to pound it back on, in some cases).

2. freethetree
    >>When you buy any Montblanc 75th Aniversary Meisterstruck model (if you can still find any) you get "free" one of the best CD's I have in my collection.

I never got the CD! Kinda pissed. I also lost the pen (along with ALL my other expensive pens [​IMG]). Kinda pissed about that too. It was my favorite, rose gold, the meisterstuck ring, mother of pearl star, diamond in the O. Very pretty. I never was really into fountain pens though (my 75th was the ball point and I had a couple monty roller balls, really nice writing but the ink ran out too quick).

Rotrings are nice too, I used to have a bunch. The smaller ones were good but the big ones got to be too much.

Anyway now I use whatever I find lying around. Screw loosing/breaking expensive pens every month (often multiple times in a month). Bic stick! Hell yea!

3. DanG Moderator
    I'm actually worried that so many people are interested in pens. Pens! [​IMG]

But I am happy to see that others are interested in cigars... something that I'm new to, but rapidly learning more about. Yet I'm still trying to decide whether it's worth the health risk (and the non-smoker's aversion to the aroma) to continue smoking. Not to mention the cost! A good cigar from the tobacconist's is around $6 nowadays... not to mention the costs for a decent humidor and a good cutter.

4. Vertigo-1
    Oh boy...I used to be a pen and pencil nut. I have a whole stash of just about every $5 different mechanical pencil you can find on the market place. If it looked cool, it was mine. [​IMG]

As for pens, I'd say Sensas all the way. I have about 4 of em myself. Form follows functionality. And at less than $300 (I think), their pure gold plated one is a damn steal (not that I own it). [​IMG] My personal favorite though that I own is the Carbon Nickel Fiber...totally hyper looking in real life with the holographic design it has from the space age materials. Pictures do not do it justice.

www.sensa.com

5. stymie miasma
    Quote:

The limited-edition Musical Fidelity pen is one substantial writing instrument. The weight and workmanship feel great in your hand. Based on the design of a premium British pen, this high-class "quill" features solid metal construction, a hexagonal barrel, oodles of style, and the inscribed Musical Fidelity name, which indicates you appreciate the finer things in life.

Wow! That is a lovely pen, like kwkarth mentioned, it reminds me of my Rotring 600 fountain pen - lovely industrial-design looks and extremely solid feel. A damn shame they are out of production [​IMG]

Headphones, watches and pens...who'd have thought!!?? [​IMG]

Oh yeah...check out the Lamy range for some inexpensive, functional and rather stylish pens!! [​IMG]

6. fiddler
    Quote:

As for pens, I'd say Sensas all the way. I have about 4 of em myself. Form follows functionality. And at less than $300 (I think), their pure gold plated one is a damn steal (not that I own it). My personal favorite though that I own is the Carbon Nickel Fiber...totally hyper looking in real life with the holographic design it has from the space age materials. Pictures do not do it justice.

I have a friend who has 3 of these.. 2 pencils and a pen. The first one he got was abused to the point where the gel grip thing had a gaping hole in it. I felt sorry for the thing, so I sort of took an exacto knife and just cut the thing off. [​IMG] He didn't respond very well to that... Well, come on! I didn't know the things cost so much money... He made me pay for the replacement because warranty didn't cover intentional damage. He doesn't let me anywhere near his new Sensas...
    *evil laughter*

7. stuartr
    As for watches, I am a huge patek fan. I agree with Huy that baterries are out. I am a big fan of my current watch, which I got for graduation. A minimilistic gold omega watch with just the date. It is really nice looking. My dream watch however is the Patek 5054 it is not their top of the line or anything, but it is just gorgeous. I will try and post it. Only problem is that it will set you back 20k or so. Oh well. I will wait until I have that sort of money to spend on a watch. It will probably not be for a long while.

8. Vertigo-1
    Mmmmmm I am so tempted to order a Graf von Fiber Castell pencil for myself for Christmas...those things are sweet looking. Something about those high end wooden barrels...akin to my R10s I guess. [​IMG]

9. KR... Contributor
    The more I look at these high-end pens the more I want one [​IMG]

Ever since this guy at my college was telling me about this high-end pen store that he works for, I have been getting the urge to buy me one. I mean hell, I'm an artist, if anyone here should have a fancy pen, it's me, gosh darn it!

10. huy_ha Contributor
    If you're ever in downtown Manhattan, visit the Fountain Pen Hospital. Top notch service. They're not all hoity-toity like some stores here. Last time I was there, they had just gotten a shipment of the Omas T2 ($1295.00 MSRP) and the guy behind the counter just said to me, "Whoa...hold this thing," and handed it to me (I was just buying a $2.50 refill of ink). They're as crazy about pens as we are headphones.

11. Vertigo-1
    Most people in today's day and age redicule the idea of owning a high end pen, simply because of how you can get a pack of Bics for $1.

But in the middle of a final exam, guess who gets the last laugh...the guy with the $50 pen or the guy with the 10 pack of Bics, and none of them work? [​IMG] I don't know HOW many times I've seen Bic pens die in the middle of nowhere or something important. While my Sensas just keep going and going and going...for at least half a year.

A good pen/pencil is a good investment, especially if one is a student. You just don't want a pen dying on you for no good reason at all...because it tends to happen at the worst of times. If the entire world ran on Bics, we'd never get any treaties written I think. [​IMG]

Of course at the same time I gotta think...you pay big bucks for a pen, and you're primarily paying for just the outter shell. What drives a pen is just the cartridge inside which you can get for $3-5, even for the most expensive pens. This is the only thing that makes me think twice about buying expensive pens. Of course my collector's heart says screw it and just buy the damn thing. [​IMG]

But you know what's funny? Fisher spent like *millions* of dollars to research an ink cartridge that could write in the zero gravity of space and for long periods of time...and ended up with their space cartridges (used in Sensas as well). And all this time, the Russians just simply went and used a pencil. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. DanG Moderator
    I don't know if spending $50 for a pen is justified... I buy good ol' uni-ball vision pens which last over a semester each. That's about $10 for 2 years (if I don't lose any [​IMG]).

I was interested in fountain pens at one point, though -- my uncle and aunt went ahead and bought me a cheap Cross cartridge-loader as my graduation present. Only problem is that it won't pierce open the cartridges when I put them in.

Ever since, I've scoffed at the idea of pens. But I may still one day buy a nice simple-looking well-loading Waterman pen. It's just so fun writing with a fountain pen. [​IMG]

13. Vertigo-1
    Quote:

I don't know if spending $50 for a pen is justified... I buy good ol' uni-ball vision pens which last over a semester each. That's about $10 for 2 years (if I don't lose any ).

That's the other thing, you're much less likely to lose that pen if it DID cost $50, which adds on to the reliability issue of always having a good pen around. [​IMG] I mean I don't think most people have any problem losing their tiny MD or MP3 players, for about the same monetary reasons.

I used to love using caligraphy pens for just everyday writing, but then they just started leaking and smearing too much and I went back to ball points. I also like to write extremely small for some note taking so the thinner the line, the better.

14. KR... Contributor
    Well, since today is my birthday and all, I decided to treat myself and order one those The limited-edition Musical Fidelity pens, the bigger one. Now I can say I own an audiophile quailty pen [​IMG]

15. stymie miasma
    I am quite fond of WWII vintage watches. There are some lovely Pateks, Omegas etc etc. My Omega is similar to this one, but has an ivory face with roman numerals and lacks the military 'arrow' thingo [​IMG]

Edit: Can't seem to upload the attachment...oh well.

First

Back
1 2 3 4
6 7
Next

Last