Watches
Dec 4, 2001 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

gaineso

Low Frequency Boat Owner
Quote:

Or, put it another way. If I were given the Orpheus, I would sell it to someone like you, and use the proceeds to buy a pair of '600s (sound) and a Patek Phillipe watch (looks, handcraftedness).

Buy a Breitling. Costs a little more, but a hell of lot better watch than the best Rolex and better looking than anything on the market.

Dec 4, 2001 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 102
>>Or, put it another way. If I were given the Orpheus, I would sell it to someone like you, and use the proceeds to buy a pair of '600s (sound) and a Patek Phillipe watch (looks, handcraftedness).

Good luck gettin a Patek for the price of a used Orpheus...

>>Buy a Breitling. Costs a little more, but a hell of lot better watch than the best Rolex and better looking than anything on the market.

A Breitling costs more than a Patek? Well of course some Breitlings cost more than some Pateks, but on the average a Patek will costs alot more. Also going by brand status and recignition, hardly anything can touch a Patek.

Dont think im knockin Bretiling though, I got one on my wrist right now
biggrin.gif
. Only it dont work! Second time it broke. Youd think chronometer actuially meant something
rolleyes.gif
. Cant argue with the good looks though, I love my watch! It just kinda a pain in the ass to get it fixed again. Im likin the Rolex Platinum/SS Yacht master, but Rolexes are fully played out. Not quite as bad as Beemers and Boxters
mad.gif
(its a shame), but every old guy around here with a little money gets the Roley. I hate rockin what everybody else rocks
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2001 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 102
Batteries ?!?!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

tongue.gif

I didnt know you liked Tags, you shoulda said somethin today! Want another one? lol. I got a F1 lyin around here somewhere id be willing to let go for liiiike $200? Maybe less cause its not lookin too new.

The new Tags have really nice lithium ion batterys that last forever. But I would hate to go back to quartz now.

Dec 4, 2001 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 102
Quote:

From freethetree: Good luck gettin a Patek for the price of a used Orpheus...

I don't have a Patek, but I'll be very happy if anyone wants to trade his used Orpheus with my "Swatch."
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2001 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso

Buy a Breitling. Costs a little more, but a hell of lot better watch than the best Rolex and better looking than anything on the market.

Breitlings are fine watches, but for craftsmanship and cache, the Patek Phillipe is near the top of the heap.

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 102
$11 million...hmm I believe that could buy me a fleet of Ferraris...
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 102
pow_250x220.jpg

The Most Expensive Watch
Anna Rohleder, Forbes.com

NEW YORK - In December 1999, one of the most complicated watches ever made became the most expensive watch ever sold when it was hammered down for $11 million at Sotheby's.

The gold pocket watch, which featured 24 complications, was the result of a long-standing competition between two magnates of America's Gilded Age. New York financier Henry Graves Jr. and Ohio automobile engineer James Ward Packard vied with one another to own a timepiece with the greatest possible number of complications. (Complications are mechanical functions of the watch other than the hours, minutes and seconds.) Packard commissioned 13 complicated watches from Patek Philippe between 1900 and 1927. They included a perpetual calendar with phases and age of the moon, indication of sunrise and sunset, and a celestial chart depicting the constellations of stars in the sky over Packard's home in Ohio.

Not to be outdone, Henry Graves Jr. also commissioned a series of complicated watches from Patek Philippe, culminating in a timepiece that took three years to design and five years to produce. When completed in 1933, the watch had a different horological function for each hour of the day and included a chart of the nighttime sky over Graves' home in New York.

Graves died in 1953, and his heirs sold the watch to the Time Museum in Rockford, Ill., in 1968. When the museum closed, the watch was among 80 other pieces from the collection that were deaccessioned and sold at Sotheby's (nyse: BID - news - people) in 1999. All together, they brought $28 million. The Graves watch had a presale estimate of $3 million to $5 million, and sold for $11,003,500 to an anonymous collector.

Forbes Fact
In 1989, Patek Philippe created the world's most complicated timepiece, the Caliber 89, in celebration of the firm's 150th anniversary. A pocket watch like the Graves and the Packard, the Caliber 89 has 33 functions and 1,728 unique parts. Its complications include the date of Easter, sidereal time and a celestial chart with 2,800 stars.

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:27 AM Post #11 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by PC Corp

They better be.

The most expensive watch

Ah, but that is one cool watch!! Doesn't need an amp either!!

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 102
I have a lovely 1945 Omega, but when I get a little more financially viable, I wouldn't mind investing in some more watches - maybe an Oris, a newer Omega Seamaster, perhaps a Rolex Explorer II...hmmmm
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 102
The Seamaster Chrono, in Titanium and rose gold...now there's a nice piece of work!

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:59 AM Post #14 of 102
You watch guys are reminding me of Mark Wallberg and Ice Cube in the movie Three Kings.. their running argument on if the Lexus or the Infinity came with a convertible top (or something like that.) But dont get me wrong, I'm impressed. Anyone have a beater tritium watch I can use for work?

Dec 4, 2001 at 6:17 AM Post #15 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso

Quote:

Originally posted by freethetree
I got one on my wrist right now
biggrin.gif
. Only it dont work! Second time it broke. Youd think chronometer actuially meant something
rolleyes.gif

Not sure what makes one watch better than another in your definition. Some might say it's the complexity and quantity of complications (tourbillons, etc.). Some might say it's looks and special aesthetic touches. Some might say it's reliability. Guess it depends on what your use is.

I've owned several fine watches, but my Rolex Submariner (now my wife's) has been the most reliable.

So we have watch nuts here too, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back