Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #7,204 of 14,268
@Borat: Thanks for the heads up on the micro scratches, I never considered that.

@Estreeter: Very true I seem to keep changing my mind almost daily on which watch I like best! I will pick one at some point...honest.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #7,206 of 14,268
I'm sure others here can vouch for certain e-bay sellers, but I would be very wary of buying watches from e-bay. Just my two cents worth.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #7,207 of 14,268
Quote:
I'm sure others here can vouch for certain e-bay sellers, but I would be very wary of buying watches from e-bay. Just my two cents worth.

I must've bought at least a dozen watches off Ebay and haven't had any problems whatsoever. The whole Watchuseek.com forum community is practically based on Ebay purchases. :D 

EDIT: I just counted, I've bought 19 watches off Ebay from 14 different sellers.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #7,210 of 14,268
What do you guys think about replica watches?  There are some very nice watches that I like, but I don't really care for the price tag, just the style.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #7,211 of 14,268
I have both gen and rep. I don't try to pass them off as real. I wear them daily; learned the hard way how many $k one can waste by scratching expensive Swiss ones. I also grab what few lower priced watches I like: some Incicta, O&W, Redline, Nixon. Have about 30. Put nice used, bespoke, or small-maker straps on, and its lots of fun.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #7,212 of 14,268
Fake people wear fake watches. I'm sorry to put it like that but I see no reason to wear a replica. If there's a certain style you like, just buy a homage from a real brand. 

My wrist today. Vintage Vostok Komandirskie from 1982 on a military bund strap from the Ukraine. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #7,213 of 14,268
If I had the money, I would buy the genuine version of the watch, and not a replica. But, these days there are so many things I would rather spend my money on where a replica is not available, like a nice Leica camera or lens. Far from cheap, but it feels like my money is better spent. But, yes, I would not pass a replica off as a genuine watch.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #7,214 of 14,268
Quote:
If I had the money, I would buy the genuine version of the watch, and not a replica. But, these days there are so many things I would rather spend my money on where a replica is not available, like a nice Leica camera or lens. Far from cheap, but it feels like my money is better spent. But, yes, I would not pass a replica off as a genuine watch.

If it makes you happy, then do whatever you want. That's what I say. 

I only buy watches to make me happy, but personally if I were to look down and know that I was wearing a replica, that wouldn't make me happy. 

But I have a buddy that has a couple Bell&Ross replicas from Asia and he has fooled several watch enthusiasts with it. It's that good. He likes them, but I could never wear those. 

Homages to historic vintage watches are all good in my book though. For example, the MKII Kingston, which is a nod to the 1960s big crown Bond Sub Ref 6538. The original is nearly impossible to buy because of its rarity and fetches $60-$90k at auctions.  

These days there are so many nice watches to choose from at affordable price points so I don't see the need to wear a replica.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back