Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Sep 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #7,081 of 14,225
Got this coming in. My first Sea-Gull branded watch. It's the M172s retrograde with sapphire dial, sapphire display case, 5ATM, black leather strap with butterfly deployment, stainless steel case, ST2505 automatic movement with power reserve indicator and rotating balance wheel. A bit of a poor man's tourbillon. :) 

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #7,082 of 14,225
Really love the Sea-Gull's, very well made and beautiful to look at and the movements in my limited experience (had an Alpha chrono with a Sea-Gull movement) are super reliable.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #7,085 of 14,225
Nice Seagull! Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking?

I really like the power reserve indicator too. I know it may be sort of gimmicky, but I really wish my Mako would have. That's the biggest issue I have with it. Since I don't own a winder, I never know how long to move it for to keep it going and its something I inevitably forget to do every day.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #7,086 of 14,225
I am guessing here, http://usseagull.com/index.asp

I have only found power reserves really useful on two types of watches, manual wind though even then with a manual wind it always worked best if it is wound every 24 hours so the power reserve becomes moot I guess. They most useful application in my experience is on my Citizen 2100 mechanical/ ecodrive Chrono. In fact I think on any of the Eco drives it is a really useful tool to make sure the cell is fully charged. Having said all of that I like the feature regardless and still more useful than most chronograph I have used ( except my present Breitling with the magnetic pushers!)

Ryhno, love the Breitlings, I have an avenger seawolf chronograph.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #7,087 of 14,225
Quote:
Nice Seagull! Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking?

I really like the power reserve indicator too. I know it may be sort of gimmicky, but I really wish my Mako would have. That's the biggest issue I have with it. Since I don't own a winder, I never know how long to move it for to keep it going and its something I inevitably forget to do every day.

I bought it on Ebay. There's a seller called Rockymartin2011 who is a Watchuseek forum member and has these M172s models on sale for $200 incl. shipping. He provides a tracking number which seems to work just fine. You can also check out the M171s, which has a day of the week display instead of the power reserve. I opted for the PR since I damn well know which day of the week it is without my watch needing to tell me. :p 

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/251148162497?var=550176768074&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_590wt_1396

He sells a gold rotor version too which I actually preferred to my silver rotor version but I refused to shell out an extra $30 just for the different paint color. :wink: 

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #7,089 of 14,225
Quote:
Got this coming in. My first Sea-Gull branded watch. It's the M172s retrograde with sapphire dial, sapphire display case, 5ATM, black leather strap with butterfly deployment, stainless steel case, ST2505 automatic movement with power reserve indicator and rotating balance wheel. A bit of a poor man's tourbillon. :) 

I have a Guess branded watch with that movement in it. It's quite the eye catcher, but it has a very large, thick case. I like it , but it isn't  in keeping with my normal tastes.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #7,090 of 14,225
I have a Guess branded watch with that movement in it. It's quite the eye catcher, but it has a very large, thick case. I like it , but it isn't  in keeping with my normal tastes.

That would make sense as Guess are owned by Timex and Timex source their mechanical movements from Sea-Gull, or at least they used to when I had one of their watches a few years ago (i am talking 21st century Timex) not watchmaking Timex who used to make all their mechanical watches in several countries around the world. My very first Timex, in fact my very first watch was a manual wind boys watch from Timex in the 1970's which was made in Scotland.

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #7,093 of 14,225
someone know any web resource helping to indentify the watch movements? i've picked an old Dugena chronograph and would love to know more about it (i might be able to post the pics later in the week)

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #7,094 of 14,225
okay i managed to get some infos - it seems that it is some older Valjoux movement - I also picked a vintage Seiko LCD watch in nice condition - always wanted one! :)

the Seiko had a slight problem with fourth digit (piece missing) - fortunately it is not a complicated watch and it was an easy repair

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #7,095 of 14,225
I'm no expert, but I recently got a hold of one of Relic's middle of the line watches for my birthday. Seems pretty nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back