Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jul 20, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #7,006 of 14,225
Quote:

Any particular reason?

I have a Citizen CB0030-56E that is of course a quartz, but for the 320GBP I paid for it it is hard to expect anything more (sapphire crystal, all titanium, perpetual calendar, solar battery, radio controlled). If I buy an automatic watch, I mainly pay for the movemnt, which is not even going to be close the precision a quartz movement is capable of.

Yes, we should all just get what makes us happy. A watch is one of the more personal purchases.

For years though, I didn't know you could pull the stem to stop a quartz watch. I would have a bunch of watches that needed replacement batteries every couple of years. I also went to an expensive watch place to have my batteries replaced. Later I found a reasonable guy to put in batteries. Automatic watches don't have any battery replacement issues.

I mostly have quartz watches but my favorites are the few automatics I have. That's just me.

I admire expensive watches but I have only spent about $800 tops on a watch. I worked in a business where I was able to admire super expensive watches. I always liked looking at them and could see the effect they had on their owners. Some just liked the status it gave their life, others were just watch heads who knew what every little part was called. I know a friend who refinanced his house for three watches. I think it is kind of a wonderful obsession for some.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #7,007 of 14,225
Quote:
Yes, we should all just get what makes us happy. A watch is one of the more personal purchases.

For years though, I didn't know you could pull the stem to stop a quartz watch. I would have a bunch of watches that needed replacement batteries every couple of years. I also went to an expensive watch place to have my batteries replaced. Later I found a reasonable guy to put in batteries. Automatic watches don't have any battery replacement issues.

I mostly have quartz watches but my favorites are the few automatics I have. That's just me.

I admire expensive watches but I have only spent about $800 tops on a watch. I worked in a business where I was able to admire super expensive watches. I always liked looking at them and could see the effect they had on their owners. Some just liked the status it gave their life, others were just watch heads who knew what every little part was called. I know a friend who refinanced his house for three watches. I think it is kind of a wonderful obsession for some.

I am a tech geek and somehow an automatic movement does not seem in any way superior to a quartz one. Why? BEcause if I do not wear it, it does not work. How many watches have you got? I have a few and if I want to only wear each of them every few days, the automatic movement will mean setting the time every time I decide to wear the watch. Useless.

Batteries do not have to be replaced if you buy solar powered watches.

Quote:

Paying this much for a quartz just boggles the mind. A modern quartz movement costs like $10. You accept the fact that almost 90% of the price you paid is just for the branding and marketing? Well obviously you do since you bought the thing. :) At least when I buy an automatic or handwinder and see all those little gears interact I feel I got my money's worth. :wink: 

And you read my post where I explained that the watch is made of titanium, has sapphire crystal glass, is solar powered, has perpetual calendar and is radio controlled? If I pay 1000Euro for an Omega with an automatic movement what do I get? An automatic movement, nothing else. In which case did I overpay? In case of Omega or Citizen? Oh, and Citizen gives 5 year warranty and Omega 2 years.

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #7,010 of 14,225
You are killing me guys :)

I went back to the idea of getting an Omega:

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/date/32128000
http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/professional-moonwatch/31132423013001
/p

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #7,011 of 14,225
Quote:
I just ordered this beauty. It is not available in the USA but found it in Singapore and its in transit right now.  It is a brand new design from Orient. KFB00 caliber Quarts movement, Chronograh, 200 meters water resistance, 45mm diameter.

149.png

Beautiful timepiece!

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #7,012 of 14,225
Quote:
You are killing me guys :)

I went back to the idea of getting an Omega:

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/date/32128000
http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/professional-moonwatch/31132423013001
/p

Funny you would post a Speedmaster. A watch that has changed a little over the years but always held my attention. Just a really respected classic. I have always wanted one. Somehow all my other toys won out so far over the use of funds?

I hope you get an Omega!

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #7,013 of 14,225
Quote:
Funny you would post a Speedmaster. A watch that has changed a little over the years but always held my attention. Just a really respected classic. I have always wanted one. Somehow all my other toys won out so far over the use of funds?

I hope you get an Omega!

Hahaha, the figure 'budget' is a very unstable one for me :wink:

I am really liking the brown fac with a leather strap. Maybe I would like the white faced Speedmaster Date, but I want a strap as with my small wrists it will be easier to hold it in place and adjust. I already found a shop and as soon as my next salary comes in around August 15th, I will purchase the beauty.

EDIT: The classic Speedy Pro 3573.50 it is, then. Just waiting for my salary and will find a shop that can send it to me. If that does not work out, I will probably try a Longines with a column-wheel movement.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #7,016 of 14,225
Finally decided to take some pictures of my Stowa.

I have been looking at that Stowa for a long time! It is a very nice watch and nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #7,017 of 14,225
Hi guys. I was just given a graduation "gift" from my parents. It's a citizen eco-drive watch. I really like look, and it's a great sized-watch.

My previous watch was the $10 Casio F91W-1. Perhaps my parents thought that because I am going to college soon, I should have a better watch.

The Citizen watch is a BM7100-59E. Moving from a $10 watch to a $200 watch is a very big change for me. For one thing, I am now more self-aware of my watch. With the Casio, I would not care as much if anything happened to it, since it was only $10. However, with the Citizen, I need to be more careful, and am afraid of potential thieves, etc.

Here are some concerns that I have:
1. I just took the watch out of the box, and I noticed that the second/minute/hour hands do not always align with the markers. They are off by a degree or two. Is this something I should be concerned about? I thought that the eco-drive watches were accurate enough to not have this issue.
2. I am also worried about scratching. I used to have a $30 Timex easy reader, and the front glass got scratched VERY easily. Same thing with my Casio. My citizen has a sapphire window, but I don't know if that changes anything.
Also, I do not want the steel band to be scratched. Is there any way to prevent this?
3. I feel guilty for wearing such an expensive watch. I feel I may abuse it, or even lose it. I don't think I deserve it. While it is indeed a very nice watch, I am not sure how good of a price $220 is for it.

Thanks guys for looking over my concerns.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #7,018 of 14,225
Quote:

1. I just took the watch out of the box, and I noticed that the second/minute/hour hands do not always align with the markers. They are off by a degree or two. Is this something I should be concerned about? I thought that the eco-drive watches were accurate enough to not have this issue.

It has a quartz movement, this happens. I'm not sure if its acceptable on that watch in particular, but I personally wouldn't worry about it.

2. I am also worried about scratching. I used to have a $30 Timex easy reader, and the front glass got scratched VERY easily. Same thing with my Casio. My citizen has a sapphire window, but I don't know if that changes anything.
Also, I do not want the steel band to be scratched. Is there any way to prevent this?

Sapphire is MUCH more resistant to scratching than the mineral crystal or plastic that the other watches probably used. It has a rating of 9 on the Moh's hardness scale, meaning the only common mineral that is harder is diamond (a 10). As to the band... well, don't bang it against things! I personally think that a few scratches can give a watch some character, but if you have to be a perfectionist, Cape Cod cloths have a good reputation for polishing light scuffs away.

3. I feel guilty for wearing such an expensive watch. I feel I may abuse it, or even lose it. I don't think I deserve it. While it is indeed a very nice watch, I am not sure how good of a price $220 is for it.

Don't. Just look for the next great watch! 
wink_face.gif

Thanks guys for looking over my concerns.

Wear it in good health!

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #7,019 of 14,225
Congratulations on your Citizen, I have owned a number over the years and hold them in very high regard. As the the hands lining up or not. With most quartz watches it is hit and miss to get them lining up or not. I know multi thousand dollar quartz watches who's hands don't hit the markers spot on. There is slight slack in the gear train that is usually the cause of this, nothing to worry about and chances are if you changed it and got one that aligned perfectly it may go out of alignment over time. There are only a few watches (some Citizens included) that have resetting features, my Breitling has it so that you can realign the hands.

Honestly though I would just forget about it. citizens in my experience are really well made so your not going to have any worries with it!

Sapphire is very scratch resistant, just search YouTube for trying to scratch sapphire watch crystals and you will see people scraping them with screwdrivers and it does not leave a mark.. However! They are more susceptible to shattering so just be aware of it on your wrist and you should not have a problem.

As for feeling guilty about wearing an expensive watch.. Don't! I have on my wrist as I type a watch that costs over $5000 and I don't feel guilty! You have been given a lovely watch by your parents for archiving something, the only feelings you should have right now is pride for achieving something and knowledge your parents love you! Every time you look at that watch you know your parents are proud of you and love you, can't think of a better thing to have!

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #7,020 of 14,225
Here are some of mine....

Blancpain
BPUSGD_Front.jpg

BPUSGD_CB2.jpg

Breguet
5177front2.jpg

5177back4.jpg

Chronoswiss
chronoscopeandregulateur241.jpg

C1123.jpg

C1252.jpg