Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Apr 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #6,857 of 14,225
I just got a Sinn U1 sdr as my new daily wearer, it's built like a tank.

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #6,860 of 14,225
I don't know enough about watches to give you advice on the quality of its movement etc.... but since they are so personal, you really can't go wrong going with a watch that is pleasing to your eyes and give you that happy feeling wearing it, especially if it is your first nice watch.

I am partial to Omega so that's what i would go with.  I am not feeling the rounded edges of the Tag you linked, but that's just me.  

Congrat on the new job. I should put myself on the market...  need some stimulus to put an IWC around my wrist :)

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #6,861 of 14,225

Quote:
I don't know enough about watches to give you advice on the quality of its movement etc.... but since they are so personal, you really can't go wrong going with a watch that is pleasing to your eyes and give you that happy feeling wearing it, especially if it is your first nice watch.

I am partial to Omega.  I am not feeling the rounded edges of the Tag you linked, but that's just me.  

Congrat on the new job. I should put myself on the market...  need some stimulus to put an IWC on my wrist :)

I looked at Omega, but the only one I found interesting was the Seamaster Aqua Terra Annual Calendar and it is waaaay out of my budget :frowning2:

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/aqua-terra-annual-calendar/23110432206001

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #6,862 of 14,225
Just bought a Haas & Cie watch, because it looked sexy as hell and was cheap. Should not have done that, cause now i watch (hurr durr) for some real, mechanical watches that looks good. 
Too bad these are either ugly as hell, or expensive as hell. And i'm a student so i can't afford that. Especially not now. 

A few really bad pics. I'm just hoping it won't break down in a year or something, but it wasn't that expensive and it was bought purely for aesthetics so what can i hope for.

I'm very restricted about watches.. either they're awesome and i love them, or they look like ****, there's no middle about it for me.. that makes it hella hard to find attractive watches to attractive prices.. whilst being good watches.

Orin and Mido seem to be good for that, still too expensive for me now but hell, something for later..

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #6,863 of 14,225

Quote:

I looked at Omega, but the only one I found interesting was the Seamaster Aqua Terra Annual Calendar and it is waaaay out of my budget :frowning2:

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/aqua-terra-annual-calendar/23110432206001

Never liked the arrow hand.... but I like Omegas

click to see detail

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #6,864 of 14,225
Quote:
Starting to think about getting a nice watch as a present to myself for getting the new job. Something within $3000 like Breitling (may not be enough for one), Omega, Tag or something like that.

So far I have found these: 

Tag Heuer Link Caliber S 

Tag Heuer Link Caliber 5

What do you guys think?

I quite like Caliber 5, automatic mechanical... I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred for a battery operated watch.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #6,866 of 14,225

Quote:
Starting to think about getting a nice watch as a present to myself for getting the new job. Something within $3000 like Breitling (may not be enough for one), Omega, Tag or something like that.

Tag Heuer Link Caliber S 

Tag Heuer Link Caliber 5

What do you guys think?

If I was going to spend that much, and I have, I wouldn't get a quartz.  That is my personal opinion and I know that some folks love high end quartz watches.  I think Tag makes some nice looking watches, but it is a lower tier brand and I don't think that I would spend more than $1k for a Tag.

I would get something that I loved with a COSC mechanical movement and preferably an "in house" movement meaning that the watch company actually made the movement themselves and didn't just stick an ETA movement in the watch.  A big part of the allure of watches, for me, is the intricacies of the movements and the ability to measure time so precisely mechanically.

Spend some time over on the Watchuseek forums and you will find lots of pictures and advice on brands.  You may also want to consider a gently used watch.  You can pick up a very nice watch for less than you can buy at retail.  I have bought and sold several on the Watchuseek forums with great success.  Just make sure you check references on the person you are buying from and inspect the watch closely.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

Here is a link to a great search tool for used watches:
http://www.watchrecon.com/

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #6,867 of 14,225

Quote:
Quote:

Tag Heuer Link Caliber S 

Tag Heuer Link Caliber 5

What do you guys think?

If I was going to spend that much, and I have, I wouldn't get a quartz.  That is my personal opinion and I know that some folks love high end quartz watches.  I think Tag makes some nice looking watches, but it is a lower tier brand and I don't think that I would spend more than $1k for a Tag.

I would get something that I loved with a COSC mechanical movement and preferably an "in house" movement meaning that the watch company actually made the movement themselves and didn't just stick an ETA movement in the watch.  A big part of the allure of watches, for me, is the intricacies of the movements and the ability to measure time so precisely mechanically.

Spend some time over on the Watchuseek forums and you will find lots of pictures and advice on brands.  You may also want to consider a gently used watch.  You can pick up a very nice watch for less than you can buy at retail.  I have bought and sold several on the Watchuseek forums with great success.  Just make sure you check references on the person you are buying from and inspect the watch closely.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

Here is a link to a great search tool for used watches:
http://www.watchrecon.com/

Interesting ideas about Caliber S. I thought it was a hybrid one and not a quartz-only. I know watchuseek. 

For the money I want to spend I am not going to get a Breitling, not enough money. Omega does not have ANYTHING interesting in my price brackets. 

Any other brands you can recommend?

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #6,868 of 14,225
Just to let you know the caliber S is not a high end quartz. To qualify as a high end quartz it has to have an accuracy of less than 20 seconds a year. To be honest I am not a fan of TAG, they tend to be very over priced for what you get.

The list price for one of the TAG's you show is $3300. If you shop around you can get a Breitling colt for less than that. Far better build quality and the B73 super quartz movement that is in my Avenger Seawolf Chrono.

To be honest forget what people say about not spending this sort of money on a quartz for in truth the sort of mechanical movements one will get in this price range are very ordinary tarted up ETA automatics. Nothing wrong with them but if you want something that is interesting horologically speaking then any of the ETA thermocompensated quartz movements beat the rather mundane mechanical movements into a cocked hat!

For instance, in the case of the B73 movement which is in fact an ETA flatline thermocompensated movement 251.232 you have 27 jewels, 5 motors, a hand synching facility so that if the hands ever go out of alignment then you can realign them. Accuracy that Breitling quotes is +/-15 seconds a year but in truth most owners record times around the +8 seconds a year. The chrono measures to 1/10 of a second and there is also a split seconds function. It is a very sophisticated movement.

Hope that helps. If you are determined to get a TAG then please, try to get one slightly used as the value of them tank hugely!

Oh yes, All breitling quartz movements are COSC rated and at the price point your looking at you would be hard pressed to find any in house movement in a Swiss watch. You would have to go to Seiko for that if you wanted new. I have to say as well having been fortunate to have owned a number of well known Swiss brands the whole in house movement thing is a bit of nonsense really, unless your going to Patek prices. Having said that, though most people knock the brand the most accurate mechanical movement in house watch i own is a Rolex, and I have had several and non have been worse than +1 or 2 seconds a day. Compare that to the ETA movement in my old Brietling cockpit which was supposed to be COSC which never bettered +15 seconds a day which is why I chose the Superquartz breitling over the mechanical equivalent

To be fair to Breitling though they do now have an in house movement which is meant to be much better in accuracy but it is much more expensive

At this price point I would seriously look at good internet dealers. I got my Avenger from Bernard watch in Austin Texas. The retail for my watch with tax is just over 5K but they mine on sale for 3K. It was purchased by a collector but never worn (still had the protective plastic on it) he took the tumble in devaluation and I got a new watch!

They have a colt quartz for sale at the moment for $2395
http://www.bernardwatch.com/watch/BRT1620

I have no connection to them other than very happy customer!

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #6,869 of 14,225

Quote:

Interesting ideas about Caliber S. I thought it was a hybrid one and not a quartz-only. I know watchuseek. 

For the money I want to spend I am not going to get a Breitling, not enough money. Omega does not have ANYTHING interesting in my price brackets. 

Any other brands you can recommend?

What about a Speedmaster? Lots of history (worn on the moon) and a great looking watch.  It can be casual or dressy depending on the strap/bracelet.

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/professional-moonwatch

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #6,870 of 14,225

Quote:
Just to let you know the caliber S is not a high end quartz. 

I didn't mean to imply that the Caliber S was a high end quartz.  I was just trying to say that there are some fine quartz timepieces and I don't want to offend those that like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back