Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 8, 2004 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14,268

ipodstudio

Banned: - aka full monty - aka didikossa - aka R1D1 - aka migraineboy - aka setharmstrong - aka threavester - aka Sarah.B - aka javier - aka DoomV1 - aka JIAA
Being as another thread is about to go waaaay off track with the introduction of our passion for watches into the conversation
wink.gif
, I thought it would be interesting to start a new thread, instead. I love watches and always have done! They just fascinate me and I love to swap and change, but the one watch which I hope to always have is this one which is currently on my wrist:

seadweller.sized.jpg

One interesting point: since I could first afford to buy one, I have always kept a Rolex dive watch (GMT Master II, Submariner, Seadweller) with me whilst travelling. Why? Well, firstly because I love the watches and they are great travel watches that you could run over with a tank and they'd still work just fine!
wink.gif
BUT, another very important reason is that an authentic Rolex is as good as hard currency should you find yourself in difficulties in some remote area of the world. No matter where you are, everyone will know what a Rolex is and there's always someone willing to give you hard cash for it and thus potentially resue you from a difficult situation where you just couldn't get your hands on cash via any other means. Just keep it fully insured and be a little streetwise when travelling in places where you wouldn't want to be noticed bearing a large shiny, expensive watch: your arms' life will depend on it!
wink.gif

So what do you wear and why?

May 8, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 14,268
I wear one of these because I have to many other obsessions (Boating, single engine planes, Cars, High-end Audio, Women, etc.) and havent got around to mens jewerly, yet... I know its not much but I think it looks nice and it even tells time. I'm not sure I even want to view this thread. It might get me started and it doesnt take much
wink.gif

0600451.jpg

May 8, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 14,268
Wow! That's a beauty, LeasingGuy. Single-engine planes, eh? I fly single engine pistons, microlight, ultralight and seaplanes
wink.gif
Looks like we have another thread to start before we hijack the one we opened to prevent us hijacking the other one
biggrin.gif

This isn't the first time I've met folks who have a whole series of hobbies and activities the same as mine
wink.gif
Great minds!
wink.gif

May 8, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 14,268
I wear this .. I like the subtle, non flashy look in watches.

folex.jpg

May 8, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 14,268
Holy cow!! I bet you couldn't find one with more stones on it
biggrin.gif
Are those diamonds?

May 8, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 14,268
This is the only watch I have. Its Rolex's Oyster Professional Yatch-Mater. Its got a platinum dial & platinum rotatable bezel. Im not really into watches, but its just delightful to have a nice one
biggrin.gif

168622-78740.jpg

May 8, 2004 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 14,268
I have a Casio GShock G2500-1V

g2500-1v_b_138x150.jpg

My dad has a Rolex Submariner though...however I personally can't justify spending that much on something that tells the time just as well as mine...in fact, Rolex's keep crappy time.
cool.gif

May 8, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 14,268
I love watches!
biggrin.gif

They're like functional jewelry. (I can justify spending money on it a bit easier
tongue.gif
)
And I'm terribly shallow, doesn't matter if they're good quality or expensive or cheap as long as they're goodlooking.
I've got 4 in working order ATM. Three wrist watches, one silver necklace. (My5th, the Donald Duck watch
redface.gif
died prematurely.)

Pic of my latest one:
2N47T4321J25.jpg

May 8, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #9 of 14,268
I probably shouldn't be posting since I'm not really a big fan of watches... but anyway, I go for the super simple, basic, functional look...

20501.jpg

(silver dial, black leather band on mine)

Clean, uncluttered... what more do ya want
wink.gif
. (Edit -- well, a little date window would have been nice, I'm always forgetting the date...).

May 8, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 14,268
I have never purchased a really nice watch for myself but my wife buys me nice watches all the time. She bought me a Hamilton Lloyd Chrono in the gold finish just as production stopped and I got a unit numbered in the last 100 with a nice case and certificate.
H19412753_s.gif

She also bought the Technomarine I'm wearing in this picture. I had no idea how much she paid for it until I broke the crystal and had to have it replaced. After that I stopped wearing it everyday.

site1048.JPG

She bought me a MOMO tach watch last year and a David Yemen(I think that's it) when I got promoted. I have no idea what these watches cost but i do know my wife wears very nice watches herself and likely spends the same kind of money on the ones she buys me.

I have my grandfather's WWII Hamilton and my Uncle's Vietnam Era Timex ,both with Khaki bands and MARINE CORPS insignias and ranks on the faces. I wear them both often.

May 8, 2004 at 10:05 AM Post #12 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkfusion
I have a Casio GShock G2500-1V

g2500-1v_b_138x150.jpg

My dad has a Rolex Submariner though...however I personally can't justify spending that much on something that tells the time just as well as mine...in fact, Rolex's keep crappy time.
cool.gif

Rolex's do keep pretty awful time, actually, at least all the ones I've had. They always go a few minutes fast on me. This one's been the best, so far.

Tortie, how does yours keep time?

I have a feeling it has something to do with the perpetual movement. My friends say I'm hyperactive and constantly moving and that's why my watches all run fast. Another friend has an identical watch to mine but he is very static himself....his watch runs a few mins slow...
wink.gif

May 8, 2004 at 10:06 AM Post #13 of 14,268
Lisa, that's a lovely ladies watch. Very striking, I can see why you like it.

May 8, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #14 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I have never purchased a really nice watch for myself but my wife buys me nice watches all the time. She bought me a Hamilton Lloyd Chrono in the gold finish just as production stopped and I got a unit numbered in the last 100 with a nice case and certificate.
H19412753_s.gif

She also bought the Technomarine I'm wearing in this picture. I had no idea how much she paid for it until I broke the crystal and had to have it replaced. After that I stopped wearing it everyday.

site1048.JPG

She bought me a MOMO tach watch last year and a David Yemen(I think that's it) when I got promoted. I have no idea what these watches cost but i do know my wife wears very nice watches herself and likely spends the same kind of money on the ones she buys me.

I have my grandfather's WWII Hamilton and my Uncle's Vietnam Era Timex ,both with Khaki bands and MARINE CORPS insignias and ranks on the faces. I wear them both often.

Hey, Tubey, that's not by darn amp I'm waiting for in that box at the back, is it?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
That's exactly the kind of box I'm hoping will get delivered anytime now...impatience start to set in
eek.gif

May 8, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #15 of 14,268
I prefer waterproof digital watches because you can easily read what time it is to the second, they have a stop watch, backlight and alarm. It's a pity more watch makers don't make well designed digital watches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back