Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 5, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #6,481 of 14,263
well i took back my rant because the casio on discount is $70-$100. it is worth that and comparable to seiko's i saw for that price but not the monster. that is in a class by itself even still. i compared the casio in a store to a $3,200 seiko on my wrist. that was completely unfair of me to make such a comparison and i apologize. seiko does make $150 watches. somehow i did not know that other than the monster. in fact once i saw the $150 seiko it was pretty similar to the casio. you are just not getting a lot of watch for that price. except sometimes. not at a department store though.

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #6,482 of 14,263
Oct 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #6,483 of 14,263
So, I've got two new additions to my collection, but I had to give up another to make way for one of them...

The first is from Kazakhstan. My dad went there on a meeting at a university there, and while he was rooting around in the souvenir market, he came across some amusing 'Commie' Pocket Watches. He liked one, so he brought it home for me, for my collection:

Rather entertaining little piece! I'm pretty sure the movement is a cheapo Chinese movement, and the watch is really light - much lighter than my Russian vintage pocket watch, but still very entertaining nonetheless.

The second watch came with the loss of another. I bought this Parnis GMT a year back on a whim, and never wore it much:

Great watch (large and heavy), but I never really had an occasion where I could justify its use. Well, yesterday, I saw a piece at my local watch repair shop that I really liked, and this afternoon I proposed an accepted trade:

Marathon MIL-PRF-46374G Type III Class 1. Or ignoring the military reference code for it: Navigator's watch with Date, Quartz Operated. I had to do it. The most popular watches being used at work right now tend to be Casio beaters and Luminox watches, and I always likes the idea of adding a Tritium Dial watch to my collection. I really would like to add a Ball, but I can't justify the price right now, nor do I feel comfortable using it at work where it will get beaten and bruised quickly (I've already retired 2 watches in 4 years and am close to retiring a 3rd). Really love the quick action the Tritium has quickly becoming more luminous as darkness descends. Knowing that it stays really bright for about 12 years and still holds reasonable brightness for about 20-25 years, I really hope I got a recent watch that hasn't had a long amount of time to decay. Love that I got it with the original ZULU strap, original box, and...

Army Issue snap on wrist strap compass!!. All in all, very happy with my trade!

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #6,484 of 14,263
In regards to the Seiko Monster....

Received this beauty this week. Less than $200 with the stainless steel bracelet and the black rubber strap. It is truly a great watch for the price. I think the only other affordable brand of watches with this quality would be Orient.

I liked the Seiko so much that I ordered this one:

A Carbonio strap with red stitching is going to look awesome with this watch!

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #6,485 of 14,263
i was wondering are those seiko's chinese or japanese? how is the quality on seiko's of that price now? the casio's were pretty crummy. even the $150 seiko i saw was a little better but it had folded end links. i think if one picks the right seiko under $200 it can be very decent. i still maintain even though fossil is a fashion brand they make some $60 watches(outlet) that are like $500 watches. both auto and quartz. the fossil and relic seem to be better than their armani. certainly better than the casio. i am not bashing casio, heck it is a cheap mass market watch. i have to pride fossil though. even bigger mass appeal with some good quality here and there. that is not to say all of them just a few. i know most people think they are junk but think most casio's do not even have a screw back. fossil's almost all do. if that is any indicator of quality. that being said i think i now own enough fossil's lol.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #6,486 of 14,263
As I understand only the Grand Seiko's are made in Japan nowadays (if someone has more info regarding this, please feel free to chime in). All others, the dive watches (including the Monsters) and the Seiko 5's are made in China. 

Let me tell you something, I have had various Fossil watches and I still have one which I feel is a very nice watch (Fossil Arkitekt) which I use every week. I also have two Invictas, a Speedway with white dial (Rolex Daytona homage) which is quartz. It looks beautiful, but is not a magnificent piece, it does feel like a $70 watch. Now the other one is a Rolex Submarine homage, model number 8926 ($89). This is an excellent watch, automatic, and it really feels like a more expensive watch. I love it.

Now back to the Seiko, I got the orange monster last week, cost me $189 (more than twice the Invictas). Now as much as I love the Invicta Submariner, the orange monster is on another league, its just a superior watch. As I said before, I love my Fossil and my Invictas, but I can assure you that my next watches will be Seikos. 

The Fossil:

The Invictas:

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #6,489 of 14,263

Quote:
...Now the other one is a Rolex Submarine homage, model number 8926 ($89). This is an excellent watch, automatic, and it really feels like a more expensive watch. I love it....

Even Rolex owners/collectors seem to love the Invicta Submariner Homage. I was on the Rolex Forums back when I was mining information for a potential Rolex purchase for Dad's 50th B-Day, and there are dozens of threads and posts extolling the qualities of this piece.

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #6,490 of 14,263
the invicta is a real good watch for the price. some invictas are better than others. i read they have inconsistent qc. a real rolex is just that though. a real rolex. i don't even fancy rolex but the quality is always there. i guess you kind of would expect it to be for that price. it just goes to show....seiko can make a high class product in china. i don't know why other companies can't/don't. i mean any kind of product. the chinese can make any quality they want. they are the same as any other people. the problem seems companies look to china to make something as cheaply as possible many times. i always thought my monster was made in japan given the quality. then i checked. just goes to show.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #6,491 of 14,263
I have been lucky enough to have owned two Rolex's. In some ways they are one of the most misunderstood watch brands I think. I loved mine and if I were rich enough to own several Swiss watches I would certainly have another but I realized this year I am a Cartier man through and through. I love the details and the timelessness of the make.

I have committed to myself though that by my 65th birthday (17 years away) I shall own a yellow gold president. I have always loved that watch, have several clients who own them and have tried it on and I just feel so good wearing one!

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #6,492 of 14,263
Has anyone purchased or tried out the new Timex Weekender line? I didn't hear about these coming out, and they slipped off my radar until I was in Fred Meyer's yesterday and walked by the watch line. They're kinda nice! Cases have a reasonably heavy, sturdy build quality and feel to them, dials come in black or white with Timex Indiglo have the standard field watch hour markings of 1-12 around the outside and then a smaller circle inside of 13-24, and each one comes on a Zulu strap! They seem pretty nicely priced to at under $50 standard price. Anyone else picked one up as a beater and have any opinions on it?

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #6,494 of 14,263
Oct 11, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #6,495 of 14,263
Connected the Ipod Nano today to import some new music and found out it had an update. Look what I found:

The update included, among other things, 16 new watch dials. Here is a link to pictures of all the dials:

http://www.geeksugar.com/iPod-Nano-Watch-Face-Pictures-19473377

I
 am currently using a tik tok watch band, and its the best one I have seen. I also had the Luna Tik watch band, but felt it was to big for my wrist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back