Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jun 6, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #6,032 of 14,268
I think I might pick up a B series watch soon.  Are the straps easy to change yourself (keep in mind this is my first watch so I have absolutely no experience tinkering with watches)?  Is there a website/brand you suggest?  I'd also be interested in getting a metal band to switch out with the NATO style straps.

Quote:
I have a B13 and a M24 Lum-Tec myself and will be picking up their B-16 when it comes out this year also. I use them for when i am at work or cleaning or dirty jobs. Before i used to use a Breitling Seawolf and a B&M Capeland S for this role but since taking ownership of the two Lum-Tecs I sold the other watches and gladly wear these with no regrets! That says allot about a small Ohio based company replacing two great Swiss COSC spec watches (i really loved the Breitling). The quality is of these two that cost me $800-$900 each is amazing and so is the fit and finish. The M24 is a large watch at 44mm and lately I been wearing the smaller watches of my collection so the M24 does not get much wrist time anymore, actually i would sell you mine if you wanted it. The B13 to me is the best of the Lum-Tec range and lately is has been getting as much wrist time as my Milgauss. It has a smaller fit and feel and the Nato strap is comfortable with no problems there. I even ordered a few more Natos in different colors and the watch just fits great with them. The support Chris (owner) and team give you is on the level few companies can.

I would suggest to anyone in this thread to check out a Lum-Tec B series watch. here is mine with a Bond NATO..

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #6,033 of 14,268

Quote:
I wish Lumtec would make the B series with something other than a coin-edge bezel.  That look just doesn't do it for me.

Seconded.  That coin edge on a tactical watch just begs for grime and gunk to get embedded in it.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #6,034 of 14,268

Quote:
I think I might pick up a B series watch soon.  Are the straps easy to change yourself (keep in mind this is my first watch so I have absolutely no experience tinkering with watches)?  Is there a website/brand you suggest?  I'd also be interested in getting a metal band to switch out with the NATO style straps.

Yes I made a quick video for you to show how fast and easy changing a NATO is done.

http://youtu.be/OOPI3TO0kvY

when you put on a leather strap or bracelet it takes a bit longer because you have to remove the spring bars with a tool. still not hard but just a few more mins of work.

I bought a few cheaper NATO but I know there are better out there. I think ZULU or something like that is really good, others in this thread can talk about better NATO straps though. The two you get from Lum-Tec are great though. I bought some cheap $10 ones on eBay and they are a bit thinner then the oem straps but I still love them. When you get a new strap in with polished Metal pieces just use a green scrub pad to brush the metal out and match with the bead blasted watch, well it is a close enough match.

Lum-Tec is going to be selling a bracelet later this year for the B series. here is a link to pics of the prototype. You may like it, I am not sure if i do. I think it looks to close to my Breitling Navitimer bracelet.
http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/official-lum-tec-forum/50579.htm

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #6,035 of 14,268

Thanks so much!  That's much simpler than I thought.  Now to decide which B series to go with...

What's the difference between all the different B series besides the aesthetics?  Do the more expensive ones just have more expensive movements and are they worth the extra money (are the nicer movements just for bragging rights???)
Quote:
Yes I made a quick video for you to show how fast and easy changing a NATO is done.

http://youtu.be/OOPI3TO0kvY

when you put on a leather strap or bracelet it takes a bit longer because you have to remove the spring bars with a tool. still not hard but just a few more mins of work.

I bought a few cheaper NATO but I know there are better out there. I think ZULU or something like that is really good, others in this thread can talk about better NATO straps though. The two you get from Lum-Tec are great though. I bought some cheap $10 ones on eBay and they are a bit thinner then the oem straps but I still love them. When you get a new strap in with polished Metal pieces just use a green scrub pad to brush the metal out and match with the bead blasted watch, well it is a close enough match.

Lum-Tec is going to be selling a bracelet later this year for the B series. here is a link to pics of the prototype. You may like it, I am not sure if i do. I think it looks to close to my Breitling Navitimer bracelet.
http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/official-lum-tec-forum/50579.htm

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #6,036 of 14,268
lower priced stuff are Quartz (battery) and the higher priced are Automatic (no battery, wrist powered). Some have the Carbon fiber dial and some have a black dial. Some have a black PVD case and some have a bead blasted silver case. Also some have a 24 hour dial and some have a 12 hour dial. And some have a Chronograph and some don't, I think all the chrono B stuff are quartz..i think.

A quartz should be more accurate then the Auto, My B13 has a Seiko Automatic movement which is ok but it runs a few mins slow, I am sure their Quartz stuff has to be more Accurate. A Black PVD case "may" have a better chance of getting scratched vs the silver case. I believe anything  can get a scratch esp a black case. Carbon fiber vs black dial is only for looks and up to personal opinion. 12 hour dial is the one you want unless you run your life by GMT time (or military time as it is called).

I like Automatic watches more then Quartz, i think there is more charm to them. Some people don't care or some want a more accurate watch so they go quartz. It is up to you though.

There are two dealers in New York, call them to see if they can get you a better price...they should! I think they give lifetime Battery replacements on the Quartz if you want to send back to Ohio for that. The Lum-Tec stuff is no Rolex or Patek but for a few hundred bucks it is not bad at all, esp if you have to have it repaired. Send it off to Ohio and talk to the owner of the company and in a few weeks you have your watch back on your wrist. I think the Average wait time for Patek repair is 3-4 months. This is the reason why i use them for my work watches, I am scared of busting a crystal at work so i rather pay $80 to get it fixed in a few weeks vs hundreds of dollars to wait months.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #6,037 of 14,268
I ordered a LumTec B5 (i think that's the number) 2 July's ago, and they never called me back. They have a hole in their business model.

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #6,038 of 14,268
was it M7? i remember because i ordered one also and never bought it. I did end up buying the M17 from them though that year. I am not sure if the watch was cursed with bad luck or what but I didnt like it all that much. I ended up selling it and made a profit...I guess the M17 was a high demand model last year because it was not many out there and the Lum-Tec owners got crazy with demand (like Panerai owners, or hp-1000 buyers, or etc etc). 

ImmT that was a blessing you didnt buy the watch.Todays Lum-Tecs are way better then the 2009 models...atleast with the M series.

by the way anyone can go back in this thread under my posts and read all the details as they happened.

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #6,040 of 14,268
Budget: around $200 (less is always nice)
Wrist: 184mm 63.5mm
Tech preference: Quartz or Mechanical is fine (those eco-drives look especially low maintenance)
Case preferences: No diver watches or any rotating bezels, large numbers, etc. Lower case to face ratio, less bulky, please.
Face preferences: Refined and classy. No extra graphs, no large numbers (preferably no numbers at all), no date if possible (though looking at what I've seen so far that is going to be rare), notches for each second not desired. Second hand is optional, yes or no is same difference. Luminescence on hands and hour markers preferred.
Color preference: Either dark face/dark case, or two tone in either way (light/dark). No gold unless it is a small portion (hands and hour marks, etc) and is tasteful.
Band preference: Love it if it were compatible with NATO bands, but isn't a deal killer. Stock band can be anything except mesh (links, leather, woven are all fine).
My uses: Daily driver, but capable of holding it's own in dress.

Example of a near perfect selection to give you an idea of my tastes, the Citizen AU1035-08E ~$100

41v2qMkzkpL.jpg

Taking suggestions if anyone has them.

Another example I saw in this thread that I found tasteful despite the extra gold: http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/bc/1000x500px-LL-bcd4531f_DSCN0300.JPG

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #6,041 of 14,268

You can't use this forum to try to sell something. That is reserved for the F/S Forums.

Also, that is the Seiko 5 that I have that doesn't keep time. Must have gotten a lemon. Really like the watch….don't like the strap.
I'm glad I only paid $75 for it. I have 3 Seikos and that is the only one that is giving me problems.

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #6,042 of 14,268
Here's another one I like the looks of, Orient PM Spirit

p1140032c.jpg

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #6,043 of 14,268
Another nice one, despite having the large bezel, at least the numbers and styling isn't too aggressive.

Reference: PA1222. The Parrera Ceramic Date Black wrist watch completely made of hi-tech ceramics with a high quality Swiss quartz movement (Ronda 505S-calibre). The watch is 5 bar waterproof, has a sapphire crystal and and a date window. The strap is made completely of hi-tech ceramics and stainless steel links. Parrera Ceramic Date is also available an all white ceramic edition or a 30mm version.
Retail Price: EUR 199,– | USD 259,–.

PA12221.jpg

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #6,044 of 14,268
Ok, then...

watches...my dearest two. A Breitling SuperOcean and a Steinhart Proteus, a collaborative project between the german watchmaker www.steinhartwatches.de and the Watchuseek Steinhart Forum. 

So long,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back