Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Apr 3, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #5,822 of 14,263

Quote:
Yes, he said he dropped it shortly after buying it! haha  That's what he gets for running around with it I suppose.

What kind of band did it originally come with?

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #5,824 of 14,263

Quote:
A leather one.  He said he doesn't like the feel of metal links on his skin. He bought it sometime in the late 60s, but the design doesn't look much different from modern ones

You need to get a band that's about 2mm wider than the one that's on it to fit it properly.

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #5,825 of 14,263
I'll take that advice, but I first have to find money to get it in working order.  Any idea how much that would cost?  I'm assuming it's pretty messed up.  I doubt I'll be wearing it much.  I'm a university student and I'd probably get mugged in Columbus :s  I'm looking at a nice, vintage Hamilton to get at about $120 on eBay though

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #5,826 of 14,263

Quote:
I'll take that advice, but I first have to find money to get it in working order.  Any idea how much that would cost?  I'm assuming it's pretty messed up.  I doubt I'll be wearing it much.  I'm a university student and I'd probably get mugged in Columbus :s  I'm looking at a nice, vintage Hamilton to get at about $120 on eBay though

If you send it to an RSC (Rolex service center) then I think for Gold day dates it is around $6-700. But seeing the age of your watch I would recommend Independent Rolex watchmakers. I just did a quick google and found this one in Cincinnati that services Rolex
http://www.ohiowatchrepair.com/watch_repair_services

I do not know what they are like though!

I recommend joing Timekeepers forum, they are a great bunch of folks and I am sure the Americans will be able to recommend someone near you!

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #5,827 of 14,263

Quote:

Hard to say.  Too many variables in this equation right now.  You gan get a band from many places.  You need to decide if you're going to buy a genuine Rolex band or another third party band.  Faces on genuine Rolex watches are pretty easily replaceable, so maybe it won't take much to fix it.  Does it keep time currently?

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #5,828 of 14,263
Does anyone in here know of a watch that has a similar styling to the Bell & Ross watches but doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Stealthy, almost military, big dials, bulky, build like a tank. Max $150. Would love to have lume and a comfortable rubber strap. Watch preferably all black with light blue accents. 

I know there are a lot of Chinese replicas out there but they seem hardly worth the while. Especially those with fake dials. *sigh* Or are there any decent inspired-by's/tributes out there? Know of a good seller? 

Thanks guys! <3

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #5,829 of 14,263
Does anyone in here know of a watch that has a similar styling to the Bell & Ross watches but doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Stealthy, almost military, big dials, bulky, build like a tank. Max $150. Would love to have lume and a comfortable rubber strap. Watch preferably all black with light blue accents. 

I know there are a lot of Chinese replicas out there but they seem hardly worth the while. Especially those with fake dials. *sigh* Or are there any decent inspired-by's/tributes out there? Know of a good seller? 

Thanks guys! <3

I don't have experience of this brand personally but they have been going for a while and seem to have a good reputation for build and performance as well as customer service, Swiss movements and not crazy prices!
http://www.debaufre.com/collection.html

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #5,830 of 14,263
Thanks for the suggestion but my budget is $150. Those are all around $600. 
regular_smile .gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #5,832 of 14,263

Quote:

Thanks guys! <3

If you're willing to go with Chinese, Parnis makes a replica of the Bell & Ross watches that can be had with shipping for under $100 and it works rather well for the money. Sounds exactly like what you are after and you can find them doing a little bit of searching on Ebay.

If you want a low price with the style you are requesting and some really powerful lume, Invicta makes the Russian Diver and it sounds right up your alley. Invicta are a bit hit or miss with QC, but I haven't had a problem with the couple of Invicta watches I've purchased.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #5,834 of 14,263
TRASER watches.
I have an Omega and a Traser. Has the always glowing vials inside as well, sapphire (sp) glass. 

very very good watches, very well made very strong will take any amount of abuse.

Quote:

Thanks guys! <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back