Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jul 24, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #4,786 of 14,225

Quote:
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting my first real watch. I want something that is fairly water resistant that can fair well in water.

What do you think of this Seiko?
http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SGG709-Titanium-Bracelet-Watch/dp/B000WFZU30/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3QG8DK2T9GZL2&colid=108ODL9I9HHCB
My budget is $150-$200.

Thanks.

I'd stray from a quartz if you want a "first real watch".  Go for anything in the seiko 5 series and you'll be able to keep your cost way under even the lower end of that cost spectrum, say for maybe $75-100.

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #4,787 of 14,225

Quote:

I'd stray from a quartz if you want a "first real watch".  Go for anything in the seiko 5 series and you'll be able to keep your cost way under even the lower end of that cost spectrum, say for maybe $75-100.

I've never really went for the argument that a quartz watch cannot be a 'first real watch', True a quartz movement over an automatic movement can reduce the cost of a watch and many collectors find it desirable to remain in automatic/manual mechanical movement territory, but there are very nice watches available out there that make an excellent 'first real watch' that are quartz driven. India's Titan Edge series (The older first couple of generations in particular),Tissot T-touch series and Hamilton Khaki series in particular come to my mind. However, I also don't deny that the Seiko 5 series is an excellent recommendation staying in AlexinExile's price range.

AlexinExile, as LordofDoom has mentioned, if you keep looking in your budget, you can find a nice automatic, Seiko Kinetic or Citizen EcoDrive that will also be water resistant and wear well in water. However, if that particular Seiko suits your fancy, go for it!

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #4,788 of 14,225
Jul 25, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #4,789 of 14,225

Quote:

I've never really went for the argument that a quartz watch cannot be a 'first real watch', True a quartz movement over an automatic movement can reduce the cost of a watch and many collectors find it desirable to remain in automatic/manual mechanical movement territory, but there are very nice watches available out there that make an excellent 'first real watch' that are quartz driven. India's Titan Edge series (The older first couple of generations in particular),Tissot T-touch series and Hamilton Khaki series in particular come to my mind. However, I also don't deny that the Seiko 5 series is an excellent recommendation staying in AlexinExile's price range.

AlexinExile, as LordofDoom has mentioned, if you keep looking in your budget, you can find a nice automatic, Seiko Kinetic or Citizen EcoDrive that will also be water resistant and wear well in water. However, if that particular Seiko suits your fancy, go for it!

It's a constant debacle.  In retrospect it was rash to have cast off quartz into such a negative light, but I just thought that he meant to get something that a greater portion of watch-people would favor.  I'd say that quartz is generally less desirable, but you are correct in (indirectly) pointing out that's a personal judgement.

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #4,790 of 14,225
Real watch.
Quartz drive with mechanical chronograph mechanism.

I see no issue...

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #4,791 of 14,225
The reason quartz are frowned upon in the watch community is because they offer so much accuracy, for so little complexity, at so little cost.  Watch collection has 2 aspects apart from cosmetics.  Practical application and engineering craftmanship and refinement.  If you care about the first then digital quartz cannot be beat, especially Breitling superquartz which would be my pick:

http://www.breitling.com/en/index.php#/models/professional/emergency/

If you are for the latter then something like the following would be nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk3DAOupOt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHWvY-CAvQk

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #4,792 of 14,225
Autoquartz is kinda neat too. If your budget has stretched that much Seiko Kinetics are worth a look. The Kinetic Perpetual is especially nice. Check out the SNP005

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-perpetual-calendar-62/seiko-premier-kinetic-perpetual-calendar-snp005p1-snp005p-snp005-men-s-watch-716.html

From Tissot's site:

Quote:

It is a watch which combines the advantages of both, the QUARTZ and AUTOMATIC (self-winding) watch. 

The movement reaches, if worn for 60 to 80 days, a maximum power reserve of 100 days, is accurate as a quartz watch and has no battery; instead an accumulator is self-generated in energy by the movement of the wrist. 

The swinging movements of your wrist cause an oscillating weight to rotate. Each of its rotation activates a micro-generator which in turn charges an accumulator in electrical energy.

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #4,793 of 14,225

Quote:
Autoquartz is kinda neat too. If your budget has stretched that much Seiko Kinetics are worth a look. The Kinetic Perpetual is especially nice. Check out the SNP005

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-perpetual-calendar-62/seiko-premier-kinetic-perpetual-calendar-snp005p1-snp005p-snp005-men-s-watch-716.html

From Tissot's site:

Nice. Not half bad looking either.  
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #4,795 of 14,225

Quote:
First watch I've gotten since my Fossil from high school.  For $95 it's a pretty ridonculous value.  Glad I didn't settle for an Invicta.  Shipping speed was beastly as well.

Congrats. That's fantastic ! Orients are an incredible value. Crystal back?

shane

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #4,797 of 14,225

Quote:
I don't have a nice watch, but one day when I overcome my headphone addiction, I will afford myself a nice Movado. SOMEDAY. 
frown.gif

Get a nice watch instead.  
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #4,799 of 14,225
Orient's do look like fantastic value, but I've never been a fan of budget brands whose product lines generally involve stylistic copies of higher end watches, so I'm usually drawn to companies like Seiko, Tissot, and Hamilton. (Admittedly the latter two are decidedly less "budget-friendly")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back