Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jun 23, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #4,696 of 14,266

Quote:
Got a nifty bonus at work, which lead to a new (to me) MKII LRRP GMT.

Pic below is my watch on the last owner's wrist.

Wow - looks fantastic! What a beautifull watch.

Jun 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #4,697 of 14,266
Just bought an Invicta Pro Diver 9937OB on a crazy good 24-hour deal with my last paycheck, too good a deal to pass up. Can't wait to get it, it has the (finally) exact watch specs i've been looking for in the price margin I want to pay. :)

Also, sorry if this isn't quite the right place, but I figured i'd ask if anyone would be interested in a vintage Movado Museum series? Was given to me as a gift, but it doesn't fit me anymore, and though it has a few scratches, and probably needs some loving care - it still runs and keeps excellent time, it looks exactly like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Swiss-MOVADO-CLASSIC-SE-Sports-Edition-Watch-/370046955047?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=item5628846e27 It doesn't fit my wrist anymore and I kinda need to recoup some of what I just spent, so i'm willing to let it go for a bargain. PM with offers if you're interested. sp70.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #4,698 of 14,266
This was my graduation gift and while it isn't terribly flashy, I like the look and the fact that it takes me a second to tell what time it is when I glance down. Its really comfortable too, and I enjoy the feel of leather as much if not moreso than metal. It's a stock photo, but I'll upload a real one later

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #4,699 of 14,266
Okay, I need some help.

I'm looking for a watch around $300, fairly understated, but elegant and reliable. Can be either automatic or quartz. I want nothing less than a sapphire crystal face. I would prefer to have one with a date function, and would absolutely love a skeleton watch (one with a transparent back, not face.) Not too much color, although a little blue or green wouldn't hurt. No gold. Leather or metal band. Mostly though, anything reasonably sized (I don't like big watches, my wrists are incredibly small) and classy and between $250 and $350.'

Edit: What do you guys think of this watch?

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #4,700 of 14,266

Quote:
Okay, I need some help.

I'm looking for a watch around $300, fairly understated, but elegant and reliable. Can be either automatic or quartz. I want nothing less than a sapphire crystal face. I would prefer to have one with a date function, and would absolutely love a skeleton watch (one with a transparent back, not face.) Not too much color, although a little blue or green wouldn't hurt. No gold. Leather or metal band. Mostly though, anything reasonably sized (I don't like big watches, my wrists are incredibly small) and classy and between $250 and $350.'

Tissot makes a mighty fine watch for the money.  You can't go wrong with that one.

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #4,701 of 14,266

Quote:
Okay, I need some help.

The watch you are linking to is beautiful. But are you in the US or EU or..?? 

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #4,702 of 14,266
I'm in the US.

My budget has grown a little bit, and now I'm just debating between that Tissot (here) and this Hamilton. Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point I'm thinking that I might prefer the Tissot still.

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #4,703 of 14,266
I think if your budget has grown and you still like the Tissot, to try to get the Tissot with the stainless steel bracelet instead of the strap.  The strap is a pretty cheap buy, so it can be had at a later date if you want it (or some other aftermarket strap that can be swapped on).

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #4,704 of 14,266

Quote:
I'm in the US.

My budget has grown a little bit, and now I'm just debating between that Tissot (here) and this Hamilton. Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point I'm thinking that I might prefer the Tissot still.

I guess it depends on the style you're after.  IMHO, the Tissot is twice the watch and at least twice the value.

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #4,705 of 14,266

Quote:
I think if your budget has grown and you still like the Tissot, to try to get the Tissot with the stainless steel bracelet instead of the strap.  The strap is a pretty cheap buy, so it can be had at a later date if you want it (or some other aftermarket strap that can be swapped on).

Good suggestion.

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #4,706 of 14,266

Quote:

This is excellent advice. Always buy watches on a bracelet and swap to a strap if desired.  It's much easier and cheaper to buy a strap in the aftermarket than a bracelet.  Personally, I wear all my watches on straps, alligator, leather, nylon but they're all bough on bracelets if possible.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #4,707 of 14,266

my everyday watches.... the good ones are in the safe deposity box

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #4,708 of 14,266
Thanks guys, I think I'll be getting that Tissot with the bracelet. Would you get the leather band at a Tissot dealer? There aren't any near me and I can't find any online. I know I could get aftermarket ones, but I would really like a genuine one.

Edit: I actually found some... for $300. I guess if I got the bracelet, I would be getting a third-party band.
More edit: Nevermind, do these look right?
Even more edit: Amazon puts the strap width at 19, and the only 19mm one at that site does not include the buckle. Grr.
I prefer the look of the leather, so I might just get that and save the $100 ($200ish by the time I get the extra leather band)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back