Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Sep 24, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #1,036 of 14,267
ls20,

That seiko is a very handsome watch! Congratulations on your purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you don'd mind me asking - how much did you pay for it? I see prices on the internet ranging from $290 to $390. Send me PM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #1,037 of 14,267
plainsong, i think you misunderstood me. i think watches like orient star,sandoz,poljot and even seiko are fine timepieces. there are other fine watches that are fine values. they can be swiss or otherwise.

i do not like invicta and croton(the watch of which the name escaped me before) for reasons that should be obvious to any serious collector.
1.sold on hsn,2. price in store is $1,000 and you walk out with it for $300,3. bs such as "swiss movement" or "swiss designed" appears on both packing and dials(where does the "made in china" appear though?). i said i don't care if it is a legitimate chinese made watch so why do they feel they need to use the allure of swiss manufacture to help market it?, 4.after you payed $300 for that, a seiko monster is still a nicer watch even if the invicta has a sapphire crystal.

have you seen the knife show on hsn? you would be led to believe by the savvy host that you are getting 20 william henry's for $25,lol. invicta and croton use the same marketing. how can a company like this be taken seriously?

to all those that own and love invicta i am not insulting you! guess what? i own some and like them. the point i am making is they are generally not regarded as quality timepieces(with some exceptions). they are made to a price point and with that, in regard to profit for all parties involved in their sale. that being realised, they are still pretty, functional and enjoyable. i don't suppose anyone thinks of technomarine,swatch and baby-g as quality watches either(well, hopefully not). i also own some examples of those.
all of those watches can represent ok values at their price points. however, they are simply "fashion" watches. even though invicta and croton market theirs as serious "heavy metal". simply put, they are not. they can copy the look of iwc,panerai,patek(etc) but never the quality at those prices. now if they were honest about what they were selling all of us, than so be it.

on the other hand i did mention i do not think of(newer) rolex as any type of value or collectors item.

i was simply differentiating what is always recognized as quality timepieces from those that are "fashion watches". i did say that i am by no means afraid or embarrased to wear a fashion watch anywhere at anytime.

reality does not make me a snob therefore.

sorry for such a long post about this but i felt a need to defend myself on this topic. i mentioned that i pride myself on not being a snob and someone reads into that that i actually i am?

music_man

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #1,038 of 14,267
tang_pwrr_blk.jpg
tangente_img10.jpg

Very elegant and simple design. It's a hand driven (if this is the correct notation in english) clockwork. The whole watch is from a manufacture in Glashütte. I really love it.

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #1,039 of 14,267
A watch, is a watch, is a watch.

What is the primary function of a watch? To tell time. What is time? A man-made concept.

On December 31, 1999, CNN presented this special report where they went around the world to show what everyone was doing at the stroke of midnight on New Year's eve. There were celebrations galore in most cities and countries around the world, then, they stopped in Africa, in the middle of a desert, in a nomad tribe. They lived in makeshift tents, with bare essentials and nothing but camels as possessions. Guess what? They went to bed when the sun went down and got up when the sun came up. They ate when they were hungry and they moved when there was no water or food. No clock, no watches, no concept of time. That was the way it was before man invented time. I went to a religious retreat one time and the first thing you had to do is give up your watch. We are so bound by time and our lives circle around time, we never do things instinctively.

I define watches as "chains and balls." All a watch does is structure our lives around the man made concept of "time." Man are destined to die and from the moment we are conceived, we count down to our death. I don't mean to sound morbid, but that is the simple fact and truth.

I did not mean to get all philosophical here but a watch should be used to tell time. Now what kind of watch we use to achieve that purpose is a matter of preference. If your preference is to show off your status, wealth and power, chances are you will wear something others will recognize and gawk at.

Watches, like pens, cars, shoes, clothing, house and jewelry are toys people use to "show off." Of course, there are people out there who will collect expensive watches for collections sake, and others for variety.

Does wearing a "Rolex" make a person better than the other? Does a Baby-G or Casio make one lesser of a person? Not necessarily. Bill Clinton loves his Timex Ironman. I know guys who own Pateks that I know for a fact cannot afford one. (Pateks start at around $11,000). It is unfortunate that some people will wear knock offs hoping others will upgrade their status.

If a person can wear a fake Rolex and pull if off as the real thing, more power to them. Is it really worth calling or labeling people over man made concepts and objects? Why do we waste our man made concept of "time" responding and defending this accusations.

If a person has one watch and loves it and never takes it off that is fine. If someone has 500 knock off or cheap watches and wears 3 different watches 3 times a day, that is ALSO fine. If a person collects and owns nothing but expensive watches but prefers to carry around a cell phone and use the cell-phone's clock that is absolutely fine too.

Besides, headphones, people here seem to be pretty passionate about their watches. All I am trying to say is let it remain a "passion." Don't let watches become a tool for belittling others, and don't feel like you have to defend the belittling. If someone posts their watch and you like it, complement on it. If you don't like it? Please keep it to yourself. It is a "preference."

Let's keep it fun! Oops...I gotta run... I am out of time.
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #1,040 of 14,267
Okiedokie, I understand where you're coming from now. As for Invicta, you don't have to twist my arm, as my personal experience with their QC left something to be desired. I'm happy with the quartz one though because I paid pretty much what it's worth, and for all that it's really pretty. Not a main watch though, a bit of fun if you get it for a decent price. The msrp on it was like 400 bucks, but Invicta does that, puts a high msrp to make you think you're getting a deal.

There's an Enicar I want that Reto has on sale at the PMWF, but it's just too big, sadly.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
plainsong, i think you misunderstood me. i think watches like orient star,sandoz,poljot and even seiko are fine timepieces. there are other fine watches that are fine values. they can be swiss or otherwise.

i do not like invicta and croton(the watch of which the name escaped me before) for reasons that should be obvious to any serious collector.
1.sold on hsn,2. price in store is $1,000 and you walk out with it for $300,3. bs such as "swiss movement" or "swiss designed" appears on both packing and dials(where does the "made in china" appear though?). i said i don't care if it is a legitimate chinese made watch so why do they feel they need to use the allure of swiss manufacture to help market it?, 4.after you payed $300 for that, a seiko monster is still a nicer watch even if the invicta has a sapphire crystal.

have you seen the knife show on hsn? you would be led to believe by the savvy host that you are getting 20 william henry's for $25,lol. invicta and croton use the same marketing. how can a company like this be taken seriously?

to all those that own and love invicta i am not insulting you! guess what? i own some and like them. the point i am making is they are generally not regarded as quality timepieces(with some exceptions). they are made to a price point and with that, in regard to profit for all parties involved in their sale. that being realised, they are still pretty, functional and enjoyable. i don't suppose anyone thinks of technomarine,swatch and baby-g as quality watches either(well, hopefully not). i also own some examples of those.
all of those watches can represent ok values at their price points. however, they are simply "fashion" watches. even though invicta and croton market theirs as serious "heavy metal". simply put, they are not. they can copy the look of iwc,panerai,patek(etc) but never the quality at those prices. now if they were honest about what they were selling all of us, than so be it.

on the other hand i did mention i do not think of(newer) rolex as any type of value or collectors item.

i was simply differentiating what is always recognized as quality timepieces from those that are "fashion watches". i did say that i am by no means afraid or embarrased to wear a fashion watch anywhere at anytime.

reality does not make me a snob therefore.

sorry for such a long post about this but i felt a need to defend myself on this topic. i mentioned that i pride myself on not being a snob and someone reads into that that i actually i am?

music_man

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #1,041 of 14,267
I havea Certina DS PRO, Titanium and Quartz glass. On the thin side. My previous watches would always be scratched in 6 or 9 months. This one was a blessing, my first titanium with quartz glass. Titanium got scratched a little bit, but the glass is still 100%.
I highly recommend this combination for people scratching their watches.

I never remove mine (except hospital or stuff like that when needed).

Lionel
Clip_30.jpg

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #1,042 of 14,267
Quote:

like i said there are very nice watches one could be proud to have for a lifetime with a 7750 and a sapphire crystal,screw down crown and all the right stuff. if anyone wants to know i will be happy to point you in the right direction.

however, i am not personally a fan of invicta or that other hsn brand(the name evades me at the moment). i think you could get a real swiss watch for $500, if not from one of the big houses.

music_man

The Invicta did not cost me one third of that 500 mark price, and about the price they set, as everything in the market, of course I know that is is not worth that much, but I simply like it...Do you really believe that the HD650 cost the MSRP, or any Sony or AT...just to make a comparison...

IMO a Casio or a Timex, will give you the exact time or even better than any Rolex or any Swiss masterpiece will, I think that we just get the fancy ones, maybe just for fashion, or maybe just because we want an overall better finished, look, and last lasting product, but of course any decent watch will give you the right time...

Another point that I have always argued off, is the automatic watches. I have owned from Rolex, Seiko, Orient, Mido to Pol jot, Racket, Slava, or any swiss copy Russian watch, and honestly all of them depending on the weather and temperature, will give you minutes more or less and non of them are as accurate a good quartz movement, and I say minutes, not seconds, OTOH with my last Casio, I stayed tuned in time, for more than two years, exact time...until I give it to a friend, and he is still using it and accurate...

Sep 25, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #1,043 of 14,267
well as usual we pretty much all agree. at least i agree with all of what you guys said
smily_headphones1.gif

please don't misunderstand what i said about invicta. they are playing a numbers game. it is correct sovkiller, just like hd650. you should shop around or haggle. just don't pay msrp and they are ok actually.

music_man

Sep 26, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #1,046 of 14,267
Quote:

i take it the camera was on a slower exposure in that picture(the hand movement).

music_man

They actually seem to be frozen. Flash isn't typically used if you're using a slow enough shutter speed to have the hand appear to be moving.

Edit: Yeah, the EXIF data says it was shot with a 1/60th second exposure.

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #1,049 of 14,267
very_evil_smiley.gif
So yet another cost to my wallet - just purchase a Casio Wave Ceptor Tough Solar for £79.99 - £20.00 les than the marked price in the shop display. Have had it for 3 days and am really pleased with it. Trouble is - there are so may other attractive timepieces out there
mad.gif
What is Seiko build quality like?

Best Wishs
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back