Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 18, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #901 of 14,267
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I love the Roamer. Is there a month with 32 days?
tongue.gif

I have absolutely no idea why, but the date goes up to 39 or 40, I think. My dad thinks it’s due to calendar systems which differs from the Western system. Hence, the date is to be ‘reset’ every month. I think the Tissot does this automatically.

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #902 of 14,267
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
I have absolutely no idea why, but the date goes up to 39 or 40, I think. My dad thinks it’s due to calendar systems which differs from the Western system. Hence, the date is to be ‘reset’ every month. I think the Tissot does this automatically.

Man! I could use a few good 40 day months to take care of my backlogs!
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #903 of 14,267
I was choosing between the blue Tissot Seastar 1000 and the Hamilton Chrono and I'd pretty much decided on the Seastar when I saw a blue Hamilton Navy GMT on rubber on sale that I couldn't pass up. So that should be coming later this week. I'm uber excited.

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #904 of 14,267
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I love the Roamer. Is there a month with 32 days?
tongue.gif

betcha its because its easier to have the user manually adjust EVERY month with a single pair of wheels (3 digits on one wheel, and 10 on the other...) than ot make the watch trip some odd gearset when it roolled to 31 that the next "shown date" was always 01.

the real question is does it roll over to 00 after it hits 39 or 40?

Jan 21, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #907 of 14,267
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I just love IWC, they have great movements. Enjoy your watch.

Thanks, I tend to wear the Junghans more because its radio controlled with automatic time setting up dates daily from the Atomic clock in Colorado and solar powered so no need for a battery or having to wind it up.

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #908 of 14,267
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Thanks, I tend to wear the Junghans more because its radio controlled with automatic time setting up dates daily from the Atomic clock in Colorado and solar powered so no need for a battery or having to wind it up.

That may be the case, just like Casio $10 watches could keep more acurate time than an automatic. But there is just no passion nor fulfilment until you wear an automatic watch. It is kind of like fountain pens, yes a bic is less complicated but there is no comparison.

Pd: Besides watches I collect fountain pens
biggrin.gif
men I have no wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #909 of 14,267
Quote:

... men I have no wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have a wallet, but it appears that I do a very good job of keeping it empty.
eek.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #910 of 14,267
Quote:

That may be the case, just like Casio $10 watches could keep more acurate time than an automatic. But there is just no passion nor fulfilment until you wear an automatic watch. It is kind of like fountain pens, yes a bic is less complicated but there is no comparison.

Pd: Besides watches I collect fountain pens
biggrin.gif
men I have no wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

I do agree the automatic movement is a fine work of art. There is something very magical about the IWC and the way the hands moves across the dial. I also like the sleek and refined simplicity of the style design. You'v convinced me to wear the IWC a bit more...
icon10.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #911 of 14,267
OT, I don't know if you intended this but 909 your last post was the 909 post in this thread.
biggrin.gif

I like the automatic movement in my Rolex, except when I don't wear it for a week and have to change the date.

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #912 of 14,267
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
OT, I don't know if you intented this but 909 your last post was the 909 post in this thread.
biggrin.gif

I like the automatic movement in my Rolex, except when I don't wear it for a week and have to change the date.

I didn't even realize until you mentioned it.
tongue.gif

It just worked out that way, kinda cool.

On occasion, I have thought about getting a winder box for that automatic as a direct result of what you described happens when you don't wear it for a few days.

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #913 of 14,267
Well I couldn't hold off not buying a new watch forever and I finally cracked yesterday and ordered a dive watch. Now I don't dive, nor am I even remotely athletic, but I do like the looks of them and have been interested in buying a sportier looking watch to wear with some of my more casual clothing and so I ordered this beauty:
seikomonsterorange.jpg

The Seiko Monster Diver with the orange face and rubber strap. Can't wait til it gets here.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #914 of 14,267
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
...On occasion, I have thought about getting a winder box for that automatic as a direct result of what you described happens when you don't wear it for a few days.

I got a winder for my B&M Capeland from my girlfriend for Christmas. It's awesome. Now I can wear the watch just on the weekends and not have to worry about getting it scratched at work. I've noticed it seems to keep better time too but it's only been a month. I highly recommend one to anyone with multiple watches.

Mine is actually from Sharper Image, which I was a little concerned with at first, but it works great and has multiple settings. I keep it at 3 minues of rotation (more like a +/- 30% sway) per hour which is the lowest setting. Battery powered too. I'm sure it was only a fraction of the cost of some of the fancier ones but it seems a good way to go for those that just want to try one out or are on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back