Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jun 11, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #12,781 of 14,263
I was never a big fan with sport watch but that’s a nice Rolex if that’s from a Rolex dealer that’s mean you get it for the msrp price ? If yes that’s a defiant excuse to buy one since it’s investment value. I personally prefer the day date to the Daytona however nearly everyone disagree with me

Yes, I paid retail: the premium on these is nuts now.

I like the steel Daytona C (white dial), I'm not a fan of the black dial or the previous versions personally. The DD is nice in some iterations, but for the price I would sooner chose a different watch.

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #12,784 of 14,263
E1B6A4E2-DC67-4D09-B4F6-30CFCA881567.jpeg Waited 9 months for my AD to get it. Worth every minute of waiting.

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #12,785 of 14,263
Out of curiosity, how much higher it is these days in comparison to what you had to pay?

I just want give my opinion on the market at the moment. Take it or leave it.

We have to understand that these things "watches" are not investments anyone who sees them as such is dumb.

We have to understand that the market has amnesia, not just in watches but in almost industry because there are always new players moving in who never look at history. I have never made money moving into an inflated market.. shorting obviously being another thing entirely.

In the last 25-30 years there have been brands trading where rolex and pateck are trading right now(well only particular lines ore models). It does not last, all markets regardless of industry eventually correct themselves. Just taking two of the hottest watches ATM into consideration and historically looking back, the rolex GMT and the nautilus. Each has historically traded at a bit below MSRP. In todays market paying the massive premium to get one today will never last. There is no value in these pieces at this price, their inherent value in how they are made and what they offer is out of balance. Eventually this will be called out , when it does those who are not collectors, those who do not love these things for what they are will start dumping inventory onto the market, crashing values.

It has happened every single time.

I am not saying don't buy what you want if you can get it at a fair price, or if the premium is nothing to you. But if you must have it now understand what you are doing and if you are ok with that great, but don't cry and bail when the market shifts.

I like rolex quite a bit, and I also would love to have a 15202 but I am buying other things atm. History says I will eventually be able to get the other brands that I covet at a fair price.

I can live with money in the bank.. It doesn't hurt, and FOMO is nullified by getting things from brands who are undervalued.

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #12,786 of 14,263
Not sure where your inelegantly worded rant came from.

Who suggested that buying a watch at the top of it’s price curve was an investment?
And how is buying at MSRP and then immediately selling for 20% more (or higher) is not a good investment? I don’t do that, but anyone who does is certainly in positive territory.

Investing in watches, like any other form of investment, takes market knowledge and carries some risk.

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #12,787 of 14,263
Not sure where your inelegantly worded rant came from.

Who suggested that buying a watch at the top of it’s price curve was an investment?
And how is buying at MSRP and then immediately selling for 20% more (or higher) is not a good investment? I don’t do that, but anyone who does is certainly in positive territory.

Investing in watches, like any other form of investment, takes market knowledge and carries some risk.

It comes from the back drop where the the previous questions come from.

Buying something at MSRP and flipping it the same day != smart investing. It is printing money, the vast majority of people cant do this because of what it takes at an AD to get the opportunity to buy at MSRP.

And that whole attitude is what is ruing the market for true collectors and enthusiasts.

Edit :: I may be slightly annoyed because I want my damn TT skydweller but I am not willing to lie about my intentions to my AD.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #12,788 of 14,263
It comes from the back drop where the the previous questions come from.

Buying something at MSRP and flipping it the same day != smart investing. It is printing money, the vast majority of people cant do this because of what it takes at an AD to get the opportunity to buy at MSRP.

And that whole attitude is what is ruing the market for true collectors and enthusiasts.

Edit :: I may be slightly annoyed because I want my damn TT skydweller but I am not willing to lie about my intentions to my AD.

Just for clarity, I’m not personally in favor of flipping an MSRP to the grey market. But that doesn’t make it a bad investment, just one of questionable ethics.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with your previous post, more have an issue with how you expressed it.

Rolex could solve this problem by simply increasing production. Their creation of artificial shortages and associated price escalation is one of the reasons I won’t support that brand.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #12,789 of 14,263
Just for clarity, I’m not personally in favor of flipping an MSRP to the grey market. But that doesn’t make it a bad investment.

I am not say it is a bad investment. I am say it is not an investment.

It is an opportunistic transaction, not an investment.

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #12,790 of 14,263

As a person only mildly interested in watches and not really in the know, out of sheer curiosity I simply asked about the difference in my previous post to learn something about the market, that's pretty much it.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 12, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #12,793 of 14,263
Here's something that's "slightly" different...

This is the Devon Tread 1E, an entirely made-in-California, belt driven "movement" running on a set of four micro-motors. It's noisy, gigantic, battery-powered, not even water resistant, and pretty much a glorified, not particularly accurate quartz watch. If you're looking for the physical embodiment of an American middle finger to the entire European watchmaking industry, look no further.

Despite its looks, on my not very large (7 1/4'') wrists the watch is quite comfortable. In quiet mode the minute-by-minute ticking is tolerable, a bit comforting even after you get used to it. I've owned Devon's watches in the past, and if you live in the US their service is absolutely beyond reproach. You do need it, as the Tread 1 and 2 have strict maintenance schedules, but you do feel absolutely respected and valued as a customer while they're at it.

It's definitely not for everyone (or even most people). I'm 6'2'' and broad-shouldered and I feel like I'm at the absolute minimum build to make a face of this size work at all. But I'm a sucker for exotic movements, and MB&F is very, very out of my price range...and I've been having a ton of fun daily driving this thing :)

PytJER2.jpg

U5QR5MP.jpg

QXsQEUX.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back