Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Feb 13, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #8,716 of 14,266
Nice one! I have that with the silver/white dial and its a special occasion watch for me as it was a 10 year anniversary gift. It's a looker....

Will take some pics tomorrow.

THX Spud, I can't wait to see it and put that beauty on
bigsmile_face.gif

Those are some very nice watch's ayaflo, Portuguese is one of my favorites for a dress watch
wink.gif

Sweet Baby "G" Moe
cool.gif

gelocks, I see you really love, love, LOVE your Steinhart's
normal_smile .gif
 I will admit that dial makes me want to throw on some Beastie Boys "Brass Monkey" right now
rolleyes.gif

Rick, what can I say, you may have one of the finest watch collections I've ever seen
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #8,717 of 14,266
Time to wear the vintage Heuer Montreal I showed a few days back.

Love the look of that watch....must admit I'm a bit of a sucker for Tag Heuer watches....in fact I have just purchased a second hand Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic. This has the Calibre 5 movement and is a white face with black perforated leather strap.

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #8,718 of 14,266
Love the look of that watch....must admit I'm a bit of a sucker for Tag Heuer watches....in fact I have just purchased a second hand Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic. This has the Calibre 5 movement and is a white face with black perforated leather strap.

Same here, I still have wet dreams about the Calibre 1887 McLaren 1974 edition

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #8,719 of 14,266

I don't own a Tag. All my vintage Heues are pre-Tag.

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #8,720 of 14,266
That's a nice looking G there Moe.

Thank you, my friend!

I'm not particularly fond of the "Baby G", "Shock Resist" on the bezel but daaamn that's a good looking G-Shock!!!! I'm pretty sure she'll love it!!

Yeah, she won't mind at all the "Baby-G" and "Shock Resist" since she is familiar with G-Shocks/Baby-G's, and this will be an upgrade to her Baby-G that was somehow lost or misplaced. This will more than likely be used for her job as well, as she will be using the stopwatch portion of the watch very often.

Nice Steinhart Apollon!

THX Spud, I can't wait to see it and put that beauty on:bigsmile_face:

Those are some very nice watch's ayaflo, Portuguese is one of my favorites for a dress watch:wink:  

Sweet Baby "G" Moe:cool:

normal_smile%20.gif
 I will admit that dial makes me want to throw on some Beastie Boys "Brass Monkey" right now:rolleyes:

Rick, what can I say, you may have one of the finest watch collections I've ever seen:D

Thanks for the comment, Podster! As for Mr. Rick, he definitely has some of the most eclectic and limited watches that I've seen - only competition may be on the Watchuseek forum. He has many more to show, as he said when he posted his first watches. :bigsmile_face:

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #8,722 of 14,266
  Nice. Very nice!

Quote:

Well that is a thing of beauty to behold..

normal_smile%20.gif
 I will admit that dial makes me want to throw on some Beastie Boys "Brass Monkey" right now
rolleyes.gif

Thank you, my friend!
Yeah, she won't mind at all the "Baby-G" and "Shock Resist" since she is familiar with G-Shocks/Baby-G's, and this will be an upgrade to her Baby-G that was somehow lost or misplaced. This will more than likely be used for her job as well, as she will be using the stopwatch portion of the watch very often.

Nice Steinhart Apollon!
Thanks for the comment, Podster! As for Mr. Rick, he definitely has some of the most eclectic and limited watches that I've seen - only competition may be on the Watchuseek forum. He has many more to show, as he said when he posted his first watches.
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks guys!
The Apollon is a bit "tall" with it's removable bezels and stuff, but I love how they wear.!

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #8,723 of 14,266
  I don't own a Tag. All my vintage Heues are pre-Tag.

Rick, may I ask why? I know you have enlightened me before for miss quoting a TAG vs. Heuer
redface.gif

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #8,724 of 14,266
  Rick, may I ask why? I know you have enlightened me before for miss quoting a TAG vs. Heuer
redface.gif

I started the watch hobby collecting vintage, pre-TAG Heuers. Then I bought a few other vintage watches like my Omega's. Then I found Christopher Ward and a few others.

It's not a big thing, but collectors of vintage Heuers like to differentiate between TAG Heuer and pre-TAG Heuers.
wink_face.gif

It's like owing a Jaguar and a pre-Ford Jaguar. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #8,725 of 14,266
  I started the watch hobby collecting vintage, pre-TAG Heuers. Then I bought a few other vintage watches like my Omega's. Then I found Christopher Ward and a few others.

It's not a big thing, but collectors of vintage Heuers like to differentiate between TAG Heuer and pre-TAG Heuers.
wink_face.gif

It's like owing a Jaguar and a pre-Ford Jaguar. 

THX for clarifying, I was hoping it was associated with vintage and not that you thought of adding the TAG lowered the quality or heritage of the brand. They still seem like very fine watch's to me
normal_smile .gif

tongue_smile.gif
Last year while having my VW serviced I got to drive a 2015 F-Type (same dealership) and they are as incredible to drive as they are to look at

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #8,726 of 14,266
  THX for clarifying, I was hoping it was associated with vintage and not that you thought of adding the TAG lowered the quality or heritage of the brand. They still seem like very fine watch's to me
normal_smile%20.gif

tongue_smile.gif
Last year while having my VW serviced I got to drive a 2015 F-Type (same dealership) and they are as incredible to drive as they are to look at

I once owned this pre-Ford Jaguar.......................those were the days. LOL

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #8,727 of 14,266
My pre-TAG.

And it's even got the right date!!

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #8,728 of 14,266
normal_smile%20.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Many people do feel that way, however, because that is what happened...

When Techniques d'Avant Garde (TAG) bough Heuer in 1985 the focus of the brand shifted from function based watches to fashion pieces much the same as Breitling has done in recent years starting with their partnership with Bentley.  The quality of the watches did fall, the focus was lost and the heritage was abandoned.  Love it or hate it, Heuer vs TAG Heuer are different companies with a different focus and very different goals.  

The TAG group is a holdings company and, generally, holding companies are focused solely on the bottom line (hence the move towards higher velocity, more mass market fashion watches).  Breguet was also victim to this several times in the 70's and 80's and it nearly destroyed one of the most special watch makes in the world.  

Fortunately (for both brands) then ended up being owned by companies that have a better understanding and appreciation of the luxury watch market and both have enjoyed success and re-gained much respect from collectors.  But the brands will forever have their dark years...  Thank goodness for LVHM and Swatch.

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #8,729 of 14,266

Many people do feel that way, however, because that is what happened...

When Techniques d'Avant Garde (TAG) bough Heuer in 1985 the focus of the brand shifted from function based watches to fashion pieces much the same as Breitling has done in recent years starting with their partnership with Bentley.  The quality of the watches did fall, the focus was lost and the heritage was abandoned.  Love it or hate it, Heuer vs TAG Heuer are different companies with a different focus and very different goals.  

The TAG group is a holdings company and, generally, holding companies are focused solely on the bottom line (hence the move towards higher velocity, more mass market fashion watches).  Breguet was also victim to this several times in the 70's and 80's and it nearly destroyed one of the most special watch makes in the world.  

Fortunately (for both brands) then ended up being owned by companies that have a better understanding and appreciation of the luxury watch market and both have enjoyed success and re-gained much respect from collectors.  But the brands will forever have their dark years...  Thank goodness for LVHM and Swatch.

Thank you BFPaulie, I have seen many of your post and I know you are in the know when it comes to watch's and Horology
wink_face.gif
 It is sad that many companies fall victim to holding companies, seems big dollar/bottom line is more important than heritage in so many cases
frown.gif

Very sweet E-Type Mr. Rick.

I've seen you post that beauty before Shane, between you and Mr. Rick I may have to save and hope I can find a vintage Heuer.

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #8,730 of 14,266
  Thank you BFPaulie, I have seen many of your post and I know you are in the know when it comes to watch's and Horology
wink_face.gif
 It is sad that many companies fall victim to holding companies, seems big dollar/bottom line is more important than heritage in so many cases
frown.gif

Very sweet E-Type Mr. Rick.

I've seen you post that beauty before Shane, between you and Mr. Rick I may have to save and hope I can find a vintage Heuer.

Times were different in the 70's and 80's in the watch world.  With quartz watches being released mechanical watch sales were on the sharp decline and most Swiss brands would not include quartz in their lines "for tradition's sake".  For better or worse, that move almost or did bankrupt many companies.  Some were on the brink of going under and were an attractive buy for holding companies (like Heuer).  Had TAG not purchased them, they likely would have folded and not exist at all.  With the bad, comes the good.  It's all just history now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back