Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 22, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #8,507 of 14,268
I think mine came to somewhere in the $150-200 range with all the options I chose and shipping. There are a few companies that make homage watches like this. Getat is in the middle of the pack, price wise.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #8,508 of 14,268
I know they can be somewhat controversial, but I couldn't resist getting a Panerai MM clone homage - I'm likely never going to buy the real thing (can not justify that kind of dosh). This one is made by Getat - which I liked because I could make some custom choices (like the no badge face, upgraded domed crystal, etc.). And it has a decent handwind movement in it (Seagull 6497 ETA clone) for the money. 

My friend has the original Panerai and when seeing it, I thought I would not wear one. I love watches, and no negatives to the folks who love ultra expensive watches.

For him it makes him truly happy, and helps him succeeded in his work. I understand the attraction process. I could just see myself running my arm against a wall by accident? I know they have fully replaceable parts.

I guess I'm too much of a gorilla for super expensive watches?

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #8,510 of 14,268
You'd think for that kind of money, that Mr. "Lee Coultre" could find the pieces to finish the front and back of that watch! 

When you start a project, it is important to finish it 
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #8,511 of 14,268
While trying to teach my son how mechanical and automatic watches work, I came across this great animation video
that nicely shows/explains the 5 basic sections that make a mechanical watch work. This uses a pocket watch as an
example:

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #8,516 of 14,268
Everything you wanted to know about the making of a $150K Blancpain gold automatic, from beginning to end...but were afraid to ask
wink.gif
 (poor resolution
at the very beginning, but it gets better). One of the best "How It's Made" episodes, for me:

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #8,517 of 14,268
  There are some absolutely excpetional watches that were released this year at SIHH.  

The most exceptional Lang I have ever seen (from a company that does nothing BUT exceptional).

For $500k I expect nothing short of exceptional. But that is a serious thing of beauty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back