Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 19, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #8,491 of 14,267
Seiko diver watches are a great value I feel. They are easy to own as you can get different aftermarket bands that fit. All the bands are just good working and easy on the wrist for the size of these beasts. The watches have a sturdy build that lasts years and years.

I purchased mine in 93 when there was very few "big" watches. Still of all the watches I have owned the Seiko has been the longest lasting and least matenence. I had a $1000 watch with a thin, smoke stack, I think that is what they call the metal area outside of the numbers. What many don't realize is that if a watch gets hung on something that smokestack keeps the watch from flexing. If you are clumsey having a Seiko diver will let you be clumsey. My $1000 watch broke into pieces. Lucky I was able to sell all the parts and working internals on eBay and get most of my money back.

Are you talking about the vertical side that is between the dial and the crystal?  I have never heard it called a smoke stack (if that is what you are taking about), but it very well could be.  It is technically called the rehaut.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #8,492 of 14,267

Are you talking about the vertical side that is between the dial and the crystal?  I have never heard it called a smoke stack (if that is what you are taking about), but it very well could be.  It is technically called the rehaut.

Isn't that word german for raincoat or something like that?!!?
LOL (not sure, my Deutsch sucks!)

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #8,493 of 14,267

Isn't that word german for raincoat or something like that?!!?
LOL (not sure, my Deutsch sucks!)

Don't think so.  It is French for "flange", however...  Google Translate is my friend 
cool.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #8,494 of 14,267

That is the ring under the edge crystal next to the numbers right? Rolex writes Rolex in the area on a model.

What I'm talking about is the case of steal around the outside of the crystal behind that band.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #8,495 of 14,267
That is the ring under the edge crystal next to the numbers right? Rolex writes Rolex in the area on a model.

What I'm talking about is the case of steal around the outside of the crystal behind that band.

You are 100% correct; that is the rehaute.

Top to bottom on a Submariner case (more complex than most case with more parts) you have the crystal, retaining ring, I don't know what this is called, but it is the first piece in building the ratcheted bezel on the Sub, gasket, case, [tube, gaskets, crown], gasket and case back (at least if memory serves).

Anyway, whatever the watch, whatever the part, sorry it was so poorly built in your case.  Seiko does offer incredible value!

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #8,498 of 14,267
Jan 22, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #8,499 of 14,267
Jan 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #8,502 of 14,267
Jan 22, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #8,504 of 14,267
I know they can be somewhat controversial, but I couldn't resist getting a Panerai MM clone homage - I'm likely never going to buy the real thing (can not justify that kind of dosh). This one is made by Getat - which I liked because I could make some custom choices (like the no badge face, upgraded domed crystal, etc.). And it has a decent handwind movement in it (Seagull 6497 ETA clone) for the money. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #8,505 of 14,267
  I know they can be somewhat controversial, but I couldn't resist getting a Panerai MM clone - I'm likely never going to buy the real thing (can not justify that kind of dosh). This one is made by Getat - which I liked because I could make some custom choices (like the no badge face, upgraded domed crystal, etc.). And it has a decent handwind movement in it (Seagull 6497 ETA clone) for the money. 

Very interesting watch you have there!  Subtle elegance, I like it!  Definitely a conversation starter. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back