Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #13,156 of 14,225
I wear one of these because I have to many other obsessions (Boating, single engine planes, Cars, High-end Audio, Women, etc.) and havent got around to mens jewerly, yet... I know its not much but I think it looks nice and it even tells time. I'm not sure I even want to view this thread. It might get me started and it doesnt take much
wink.gif

0600451.jpg
Wow! That's a beauty, LeasingGuy. Single-engine planes, eh? I fly single engine pistons, microlight, ultralight and seaplanes
Looks like we have another thread to start before we hijack the one we opened to prevent us hijacking the other one

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #13,157 of 14,225
Thank you.
You're right, if buying a Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox DJ I feel it should be fluted w/jubilee as well.
As far as wearing a replica, the issue I see with that is safety because you could be targeted and harmed for a fake, so...
For the bezel I think if you send it into Tag for a service they would be able to restore it for you. Genesis Watchmaking are also a very highly recommended company. It might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #13,162 of 14,225
I expect to be torched by folks who are into the intricate movements and not as much the accuracy, so why an automatic over a battery watch?
I think you just answered your own question - while everyone has their reasons, the intricate movements are a huge part of it for me. It's true that a $50 Casio G-Shock is cheaper, more precise and more resistant to both physical shock and magnetism than any mechanical watch, but I love the fine details and craftsmanship. As a child I would disassemble and reassemble anything I could get my hands on, and knowing some of the inner workings (or better yet, being able to see them) is a huge part of the appeal to me. The craftsmanship is another - with computers and assembly lines, we can rapidly produce amazing pieces with perfect precision, but knowing that there was a human element in the process gives me a greater appreciation.

What's not to love about a view like this?
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200430134253830-2.jpg

Anyhow, watches. This showed up today and I'm loving it so far:
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200430134048689_COVER-2.jpg

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #13,163 of 14,225
[QUOTE="Arainach, post: 15588006, member: 28458"
What's not to love about a view like this?

Anyhow, watches. This showed up today and I'm loving it so far:

[/QUOTE]

That is a really nice looking (front and back!) Omega Seamaster!
As much as I appreciate this level of craftsmanship and seeing the intricate movement, I'm a guy who wants an accurate time piece. Just my quirkiness I suppose.

May 1, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #13,164 of 14,225
That is a really nice looking (front and back!) Omega Seamaster!
As much as I appreciate this level of craftsmanship and seeing the intricate movement, I'm a guy who wants an accurate time piece. Just my quirkiness I suppose.

Okay. But why? Honestly, when in everyday life do you need to be more accurate than +/- 10 seconds a day? Even professional divers who use a watch to time the oxygen they have left in the tank, a matter of life or death, will use mechanical watches often no more accurate than +/- 10 seconds a day.

May 1, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #13,165 of 14,225
Yes, a nice mechanical watch is a thing of beauty and I agree, if you are so important to need time accuracy to be perfect well that must suck. I don't mind if one of my old Seiko 5s from the early 1970s loses 4 minutes a day. I know eventually I will get it serviced and it will improve to around a minute a day, but when I need real accuracy, I can look at my phone which is always with me anyway. Having a nice mechanical watch on just feels right. Perhaps one day I will be able to afford something premiere.

May 1, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #13,166 of 14,225
Okay. But why? Honestly, when in everyday life do you need to be more accurate than +/- 10 seconds a day? Even professional divers who use a watch to time the oxygen they have left in the tank, a matter of life or death, will use mechanical watches often no more accurate than +/- 10 seconds a day.

No GOOD reason other than, since I was a kid, I loved it when my Timex was striking 12:00 and the church bells or air raid siren sounded at that instant! I don't use my phone for time and don't stare into it for the meaning of life either! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So an accurate watch gives me joy and a intricate mechanical watch is your thing. We want differant things in a time piece I suppose. Your not wrong, we just differ in what we like or want.

More than the inaccuracy, if I didn't wear X watch for more than a few days I would have to reset it prior to putting it on, not my thing thats all.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #13,170 of 14,225
Watch enthusiasts aren't typically concerned about accuracy as a number one priority. As others have previously stated, it is USUALLY more about the ingenuity of invention, about reaching even MORE precision from a movement that isn't just a digital readout. It is about the artistry, and the work that goes into a new, innovative movement.
For me, it's 1) uniqueness of movement, 2) dial design, and 3) overall aesthetics with the prior two points combined. I love watches, especially the ones that have an amazing new TINY detail that extends the power reserve life of an automatic movement without sacrificing accuracy - or even better, improving accuracy. It's a fascinating process, and quite fun to learn about. The 'art' of horology is what appeals to the majority of watch collectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back