Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Dec 15, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #5,432 of 13,458

leftnose

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Posts
1,241
Likes
15


Quote:
Quote:
Speedmaster Pro isn't an automatic.  Hand wind only. Shaking it won't do anything.
 
On that note, wind it until the crown stops turning.  You won't damage it.  40-50 revs is about right and you should get at least 40 hours of reserve out of it.  When I'm wearing mine, I wind it every morning before I put it on.
 

really? its not automatic? odd.. lol


You could just flail your arms around 40-50 times.

Speedmaster Pro definitely is not self-winding:
 

Do you see a rotor in there?
 
So, flailing your arm around or shaking the watch won't do a thing.
 
Remember, the fact that a mechanical watch isn't self winding is not a measure of its quality: just like bph.
 
 
Dec 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #5,433 of 13,458

revolink24

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Posts
2,881
Likes
42


Quote:
 
Remember, the fact that a mechanical watch isn't self winding is not a measure of its quality: just like bph.
 

 

Indeed. Most of the ultra high end watches (Tourbillons, Minute Repeaters, etc.) are hand wound partially because of the complications. No room for a rotor means more room for a quality movement. (Or, in the case of my Stowa, a 6.8mm thick watch rather than 11 or so)
 
Dec 15, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #5,434 of 13,458

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 5, 2010
Posts
3,436
Likes
332


 
Quote:
Speedmaster Pro isn't an automatic.  Hand wind only. Shaking it won't do anything.
 
On that note, wind it until the crown stops turning.  You won't damage it.  40-50 revs is about right and you should get at least 40 hours of reserve out of it.  When I'm wearing mine, I wind it every morning before I put it on.
 


Ugh... my bad. I misread it as Seamaster in combination with all the picks that tjkurita posted of his new one.
 
Anyway, yeah... handwinds are great, but you do need to be more careful. I would usually wind until I feel things tightening-up. It's rare that I'd ever wind until it stops. I also found myself winding it on and off throughout the day ('cause I'm neurotic).
rolleyes.gif

 

 

 
 
Dec 15, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #5,435 of 13,458

leftnose

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Posts
1,241
Likes
15


Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 
Anyway, yeah... handwinds are great, but you do need to be more careful. I would usually wind until I feel things tightening-up. It's rare that I'd ever wind until it stops. I also found myself winding it on and off throughout the day ('cause I'm neurotic).
rolleyes.gif



I'll check it tonight but I'm pretty sure the instruction manual says wind 'til it stops.  I thought that was odd, too.
 
Dec 15, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #5,436 of 13,458

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 5, 2010
Posts
3,436
Likes
332


Quote:
 
I'll check it tonight but I'm pretty sure the instruction manual says wind 'til it stops.  I thought that was odd, too.



 Don't get me wrong... I don't think it's bad for it, I just normally didn't do it...
 
Dec 16, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #5,439 of 13,458

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 5, 2010
Posts
3,436
Likes
332


Quote:
Very interesting hand-wind El Primero!  Isn't the auto more common? 


Yes, at the time I bought this, it was pretty rare. Not sure any are made now. I just loved the auto so much that I had to have it's cousin...
rolleyes.gif

 
 
Dec 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #5,440 of 13,458

bhd812

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 4, 2003
Posts
7,091
Likes
21
ok Shane you ready for a million and one questions since you're the man with the piece i EYE..?????
 
First off! how do you like it as a dress watch under a cuff? does it stick up high and catch the cuff?
second how do you wear the piece, like with jeans or just dressed up?
third, can you compare the El Primero HW to the Chronomaster? besides the difference in the automatic movement..
fourth are you interested in selling? won't be the first watch i buy off a headfier!
 
also anyone looking at a baume & mercier capeland s 8113  pm me, i need to let this watch go and will give ana amazing price to a headfier, just to keep it in the family..family forums!
 
Dec 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #5,441 of 13,458

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 5, 2010
Posts
3,436
Likes
332
[size=10pt]Well bhd812...[/size]
 
  • [size=10pt]Under cuff. The Chronomaster is much flatter than many of my others (Sinn, Kobold, Black Monster, etc.). No ‘serrated’ rotating bezel, and with a fairly small wrist, it fits pretty well. Of course some cuffs are tighter than others. [/size]
  • [size=10pt]I wear almost everything with jeans at one time (pun intended) or another, but daily, at work… no jeans. My watch choices are more activity based (to G-Shock or not to G-Shock, that is the question).[/size]
  • [size=10pt]The Chronomaster is a finer watch in every respect. The dial, hands, movement, etc.; all is a bit better machined and polished. Of course going from a simple chronograph to a day/date/moon-phase complication puts the Auto in a completely different category. Remember, this was the mvt. first used in the Daytona. The HW is an extremely nice piece, but hard to compare.[/size]
  • [size=10pt]You’ll notice that in my discussions regarding personal experience with these (except above) I spoke in the past tense. I wish I still had them to sell…
    frown.gif
    [/size]
 
Dec 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #5,442 of 13,458

tjkurita

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 22, 2003
Posts
1,067
Likes
20
I gotta say, Billie, I've read your posts and I know how much you love watches and I've watched (no pun intended) a little bit of your horological evolution.  I look at your posts and I have only one thing to say:  SAVE YOUR MONEY UP AND GET A DAYTONA!   I'm not saying the Daytona is for everyone.  I'm not saying that the Zenith is not a fantastic watch.  But from what I have read in your posts, the Daytona is for you.
 
In my opinion the 4130 Rolex Daytona is one of the finest watches EVER MADE.  Not just the best of now.  But one of the best EVER.  Personally I think it is in a different league from everything but the greatest ever.  As far as I'm concerned, all of the criticism rallied at the rest of the Rolex line does not apply to the Daytona and I think you know all this.
 
Dec 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #5,445 of 13,458

bhd812

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 4, 2003
Posts
7,091
Likes
21

Laxx post some wrist shots! beautifule piece! congrats
 
Quote:
[size=10pt]Well bhd812...[/size]
 
  • [size=10pt]Under cuff. The Chronomaster is much flatter than many of my others (Sinn, Kobold, Black Monster, etc.). No ‘serrated’ rotating bezel, and with a fairly small wrist, it fits pretty well. Of course some cuffs are tighter than others. [/size]
  • [size=10pt]I wear almost everything with jeans at one time (pun intended) or another, but daily, at work… no jeans. My watch choices are more activity based (to G-Shock or not to G-Shock, that is the question).[/size]
  • [size=10pt]The Chronomaster is a finer watch in every respect. The dial, hands, movement, etc.; all is a bit better machined and polished. Of course going from a simple chronograph to a day/date/moon-phase complication puts the Auto in a completely different category. Remember, this was the mvt. first used in the Daytona. The HW is an extremely nice piece, but hard to compare.[/size]
  • [size=10pt]You’ll notice that in my discussions regarding personal experience with these (except above) I spoke in the past tense. I wish I still had them to sell…
    frown.gif
    [/size]


 
thank you for answering my questions, you answered them perfect. i still have an eye out for the Chronomaster for next spring for sure. the issue is finding one to try on my wrist, seems to be pretty hard around Chicago now. until i get to test one out i have to put the Zenith on the list for "future watches", the Pam 112 was put on that list but bought years later so there is still a chance of me taking ownership one day.
 
 


 
Quote:
I gotta say, Billie, I've read your posts and I know how much you love watches and I've watched (no pun intended) a little bit of your horological evolution.  I look at your posts and I have only one thing to say:  SAVE YOUR MONEY UP AND GET A DAYTONA!   I'm not saying the Daytona is for everyone.  I'm not saying that the Zenith is not a fantastic watch.  But from what I have read in your posts, the Daytona is for you.
 
In my opinion the 4130 Rolex Daytona is one of the finest watches EVER MADE.  Not just the best of now.  But one of the best EVER.  Personally I think it is in a different league from everything but the greatest ever.  As far as I'm concerned, all of the criticism rallied at the rest of the Rolex line does not apply to the Daytona and I think you know all this.



you are the third person to tell me that this week! two things i always questioned the Daytona is..Can a black dial Daytona be used as a dress watch, like with a suit? and the second is more fear of walking around with a $10K watch on my wrist then anything...
I talked to my brother one the phone for two hours last night about the watches and stuff, he has been shooting me into the Daytona for years. i really want to get rid of many of my watches, i have 8 pieces now and it is too many to wear enough to justify their time in my life.
SOOOO with that in mind i was thinking of what can go and what needs to go. the Capeland and Raymond Weil are going like i said before. The Breitling Seawolf really is not needed much anymore because i wear my Lum-Tecs at work now and if i got a Daytona Chronograph then i really dont need another Chronograph in my collection so the Breitling Navitimer would be on the way out also. I love the Navitimer but i have had four years with it AND i could live without it, esp since the Pam 112 gets allot of time on my wrist when i am not at work.
 
is the Daytona worth trading four watches for?
 
i was thinking about this for awhile actually and had plans on doing it in 2012 so i am not in a rush but...
 
I do have a meeting with Howard Frum on Monday, he is the guy that anyone and everyone buys a used Rolex from Chicago and he is a great guy when i met him. i called him up today and he even has interest on a Breitling Display case for trade i have sitting in storage (yes i actually do have a Breitling Display case..lol). i will see what happens Monday and let you all know..thanks for your suggestions and if anyone can..anyone.. Give me your opinions on a Daytona as a dress watch with a suit and your opinions on walking around with a $10K piece on your wrist..i seriously have a fear of it.
 
i am on my phone typing this, excuse the crazy writing..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top